Daylight robbery

Big Bandit

Hi All,

Just signed up for this, Why waste energy, when you could reduce your consumption by having lighter usable evenings. longer flying times after work.

I know these round-robin emails can be a bit impersonal but this one could really change our lives for the better. We've all been enjoying the bright summer evenings, but from June 21 - the summer solstice - it's a sad fact that the nights start drawing in and the days become shorter. However, the outlook doesn't have to be so gloomy: Lighter Later (www.lighterlater.org) is campaigning to get the clocks moved forward by one hour so that it stays lighter for longer in the evenings. That means an average of 55 minutes of extra usable sunlight each day - whether you're playing sports, enjoying extra time in the pub's beer garden, or simply getting some valuable vitamin D from the sun's rays.

Lighter Later has been working since March to stop the current 'daylight robbery' which sees hours of valuable sunlight wasted while most of us are asleep, and makes us use expensive and energy-hungry electric lighting to keep out the dark nights. So far, more than 16,000 people have seen the light by visiting www.lighterlater.org and signing-up.

By moving Britain's clocks forwards by one hour throughout the year, research shows that it would cut at least half a million tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions every year, save lives on our roads and give a boost to sport, leisure and domestic tourism. What's more it's practically free and it could happen right away. The research is so compelling that on June 21, Lighter Later visited parliament to present the evidence to a room full of MPs and lords.

Changing our clocks so that we are awake for more of the time that the sun is out is a no-brainer. So why not join me and the thousands of other supporters at www.lighterlater.org ?

Chris.

Advert

Yeah, the Scot's kill it.  Though why they feel the need to be the same time as us baffles me.  I'm closer to France and they arent the same time.

I think another good idea (but I dont know how to make it happen) is  this:

Take out and throw away every other street light bulb.  Thats the bill halved.
THEN, fit a PIR to every other lamp of the remaining (ie now 1/3rd of the original lamps have PIRs)

Then, turn them ALL off at 2200 - 0500.

Now only the PIR ones will come on at any time its dark and theres a life form there.

The street bill is slashed!  My telescope works better!  I'm hailed as a genius! (ok, two out of three aint bad!)

Just get up earlier. Don't look for the mental crutch to help you out.

When I want to be somewhere for a reason such as "daylight" I do not need to change my clock time.

Enough of you seem to want more after-work daylight so get your work time sorted out and stop trying to muck up MY clock time.

Have a nice winter

It's been active in most states here in Australia for longer than I've been alive (37 yrs).

We call it "Daylight Savings" and it runs roughly from mid-Spring to mid-Autumn. We change by 1 hour and the change-overs are at 2am on a Sunday.

As a 9-5 worker I LOVE it, though most of the farmers who get up early hate it because the mornings are dark.

I'd vote for it if I was on your island!

Shaun.

If Scotland want the status quo let them have their own time zone. Most milking parlours I've seen have lights or is it the leccy bill that's the issue. 

Posted by Wingman on 03/11/2010 14:45:39:
When we get our independence............................................

You'll be able to tailor your country to just the way you want it, Wingman, but one thing's for sure - short of a shift in the Earth's orbit, you're never going to get more hours of daylight in the winter.....................

Pete

Posted by Shaun K on 03/11/2010 11:34:31:
It's been active in most states here in Australia for longer than I've been alive (37 yrs).

We call it "Daylight Savings" and it runs roughly from mid-Spring to mid-Autumn. We change by 1 hour and the change-overs are at 2am on a Sunday.

As a 9-5 worker I LOVE it, though most of the farmers who get up early hate it because the mornings are dark.

I'd vote for it if I was on your island!

Shaun, we already have daylight-saving time in the summer - though it's usually referred to as "British Summer Time" (BST) and is one hour ahead of GMT.  What the campaign is seeking to do is to remain on BST all year - so not reverting back to GMT in the winter,

Another possibility is that we switch to Central European Time - which is currently always one hour ahead of us. 

I suspect neither will happen - at least not in the forsee-able future!

Just adding to Saun K 's note, in Aus, on the west side, we have treid it several times, but threw it out again 2 yrs ago, so that now leaves us 3 hrs difference from the east side,in the summer months, if it is necassary to do business with the East, it is simple ..... get up ealier.
WE have no problems with that
A.A. Barry