Is the forum over moderated?

Marc Humphries

I'll declare my hand early - I had three posts deleted today for reasons I am struggling to understand.  I don't believe I violated the Code of Conduct.

All were tongue in cheek comments - and the last one was in response to poster who laughed at the joke (it was about him) and retorted back with me.  We ended up both being deleted!!

Compared to many Internet forums - this one is on the whole extremely courteous and respectful - and so it should be.

However, if it wants to be a place of debate, opinions, satire and humour the moderators need to step back a little.  Let's face it, if the forum was only for build blogs, the best control horn or where you should stand when taking off - it would be a little - er dull.

I'm even more miffed that the thread in question and others have far more inflamatory comments in them and they are allowed to stay.  Where's the consistency?  I'm going to get fed up pretty quickly if posts keep getting deleted - why should I make the effort?

Rant over.

Advert

Hi Marc
Where do you draw the line. You know the old saying "Give an inch and theywill take a mile"
This is the only forum I am active on and the reason is how it is moderated.
In answer to your original question " Is the forum over moderated my answer is NO
All the moderators have filled in their profile, so if you are not happy with the treatments you are getting PM them, and I am sure they will tell you why.
Timbo only told us all a day or two ago that suspect posts would not be ammended but would be deleated as to ammed them takes too much time
Garry

my response mark--since i joined this forum 2 year's ago----to post etc...to like minded people who have the same interest ... i have noticed that from time to time that the mod's have used their power's to vet some of the post's.....prob a miniscule amount compared to the number that are sent in.......i 100% agree with them reguarding the offensive language rule's.....and the rest i imagine they are acting as referee's...i have seen a couple of thread's get out of hand......i have had a yellow/red card in the past......but well done to the mod's for at the end of the day-this forum is one of the best/friendly one's....reflected in the large membership no's......

ken anderson   ne...1(my personal view).........   

Mmmmm? BIt unhappy Marc?

As you ask, and at the risk of being accused of "currying favour" with the mods - not that those uncorruptable fine upstanding chaps would be unduely or improperly influenced you understand - well I think Timbo could be improperly influenced but not by anything I could offer . I will answer "no" I don't think it is over modded.

Why?

Well firstly this forum encourages beginners - its a big part of the reason its here. I'm sure we would all like at least some of those beginners to be youngsters. I have kids - as do many other here I'm sure - and I would have no problem in them using this forum. I can't say the same for many of the other forums sadly. So, if we want young people in the hobby us older ones have to except a certain restraint in how we express ourselves, particularly language wise.

Secondly, this is a hobby.Like many others I have a day job where from time to time there is conflict and hassle. I don't need it here as well. Vigourous, even passionate, debate, no problem. But personal insults and psuedo aggression - no thanks.

Thirdly, we enjoy this forum as a commercial enterprise set up by the mag. The magazine is a public organ (careful lads!) and therefore has a certain image it wishes to portray of itself, its parent company and the hobby. Conflict, flamming, person insults and the like have no place in that image I would guess.

Fourthly, joking and pulling people's leg is positively encouraged - however, we all know that jokes can backfire. Something meant lightheartedly can be taken seriously. I think that today the mods where watching over a spirited debate - the probelm was that it was a potentail tinder box. A inappropriate comment, even honestly meant as a joke, could have sparked world war three! So, I find in such circumstances the liberal use of "smileys" helps to make it absolutely clear that I am not intending to be taken seriously. In my iew that's what they are there for!

I'm not suggesting you are guilty of any of these Marc - except maybe number 4  -  but they are my views.

In general I think the mods get it about right. They will let "hot debate" go on, but they wont allow anyone to be bullied or insulted and best of all they'll leave things alone as long as the discussion is reasonable. I don't think they are heavy handed and I suspect a lot of the time things are done via a "quiet word pm" that we never get to see and so the flow of debate isn't interprupted.

The forum ain't perfect - what is? But if heated debate regularly started spilling over into flame wars I for one would be much less frequent visitor!

BEB

I agree with BEB

The forum is really an organ of a branded magazine and thus will always have to be moderated to protect the magazine and the publisher..  I suspect it'll always be "over moderated" relative to a stand alone forum.

I feel the mods have it about right to be honest, I dont see it as over moderated but it is moderated as I'd expect RCME to be run.

Which is what makes it so good!

David 

No, I'm very happy with the level of 'modding', too. Whilst I don't always agree with the course of action they might take, the mods do a very good job, by and large. It isn't an easy job - a mate of mine was a mod on an ex-pat forum and in the end he couldn't stand the spiteful, vicious and threatening PM's he received for doing a voluntary job.

This is one of the very few forums where I feel I can post with little chance of being flamed or made to feel I've trodden in something!

We can have a bit of a chin-wag', have a laugh and learn a lot in a civilised, courteous and expletive-free environment. Being a lone flyer, had it not been for the friendly atmosphere and the patience of fellow-forumites here, I very much doubt whether I could have progressed as much as I have in the past couple of years.

If I feel like being exceptionally grumpy, need a good swear or tell a very dirty joke, the other forums are available to me and I can choose one that's suitable for what I want to say. In the meantime, I'm happy to stick to good, clean fun here..............

Pete

I don't think that it's too bad. Just a little over-moderated, IMO.

I've only been "told off" the once. Can't recall the details, but I do remember thinking that I'd been censured for expressing an opinion with which the moderator did not agree...

I'm not given to incivility (I think), so I confess that a PM from a moderator came as a bit of a surprise. 'Spect someone did one of those "Report" thingies. A lot of people can't cope with a bit of challenging debate, you know.

On the whole, though, not too bad.

Not quite on topic, but I just have to say that I agree 100% with you TonyS!  I am sick of hearing at the start of every other TV programme aired after 9 pm "... contains strong language..."  Why do we need it for Goodness sake!!!  Keep this forum pure in the face of an advancing tide of obscenities!

Tim.

some people whine at swearing i dont have a problem with it if its done at the right time and in context its very funny, if swearing was banned at our club there would not be much conversation  on here i dont think it should be allowed but i dont think thats what marc is on about at least on tv you can always change the channel, some programmes need to swear if whilst watching say a war drama and the soldier were being shot at i dont think "ohh bum and flip, im being shot at " would cut it !!

Please may I add my thanks and respect for the moderators.  As this forum is associated with a commercial enterprise I totally understand the moderators need to keep the forum squeaky clean and not offensive or libelous (or should it be slanderous - I can never remember.)

Remember, It could be easy for them to also prune offerings that are critical of products advertised or potentially advertised in their magazine, and yet they do not seem to do so.  There have certainly been products discussed here that I have been thinking of buying but have been deterred by the forum's joint wisdom.

Inspired by Red Dwarf, might I suggest that the moderators are allowed a short period of "Smug Mode".

Plummet

well that does seem a little heavy handed but who am i to talk i am the queen of over-reaction !! all i can say from my point of view mate is that generally !!! they get it right, but remember we are all human and we all make clangers, and take things the wrong way at times so i would not read too much into it !!  i too have been moderated !! (that sounds like i have been violated) some say not enough others claim a ban would be too kind !! 

...and now you've had your 4th post removed Marc. Please don't quote sections of my private messages to you.

If we're unhappy with someone's conduct then we don't embarass them on the forum - we keep it private, I wouldn't broadcast what you say in private and I expect my messages to remain private too.

I'll lock this one up now, thank you for the feedback. If anyone has any more thoughts then please PM me.

I should just say that I'm more than comfortable with the moderation tone here on the forum. I think what comes as a surpise to some is that moderation means just that. So many forums purport to be moderated and just aren't so I'm sorry if our occassional intervention comes as a shock. It's never anything personal and all we have in mind is the continued calm and friendly future of this forum in mind, nothing else.

Remember, be polite,  stay on topic.