Other hobbies ??

john haz

Advert

RC aircraft flying was an old hobby I revived from a few years back,  though I was very much a beginner then. All I had then was a Peppi trainer, one of Stan's great EPP designs. (Still am a beginner really.)   It was supposed to be secondary to paragliding,  which I've been doing 7 years, 300 hours. 

But in fact because they are both so weather dependent, plus my model site is just 20 mins away whereas my nearest (not often flyable because of wind direction) paragliding site is 45 mins,  and most of  my pg sites are an hour and a half or more away,  I find I do more and more model flying!  Plus, on the rainy days I can fix the models I broke last time out (not many really).  

Last winter I built my first balsa model. OK it was a pre-cut Orion leccy glider, but I had to work it out,  and cover it, and learn a bit about how electrics work, and I really enjoyed it.    (Build blog here. )    And I love flying it.  (And my Zagi,  Wot 4 artf, old wot 4 I rebuilt, Depron leccy Edge and Kerfuffle.)
Plus I enjoy video making (paragliding and little cameras on models) and the editing takes hours and hours!
So, paragliding is my first love I guess, but  I live too far from good flying sites so it is slipping away a bit. (Sadly)  But the model stuff is also great fun, building and fiddling about,  and I have a lot to learn!

Here's a paragliding vid I made of soaring above orographic cloud , say 1200 feet asl,  on the 10 k run between Beer Head and Sidmouth.  Unfortunately days like that come up not very often.  Some of my model flying vids have already been posted on here. (Key Chain cam, and 808 mini dv cam)

If you want to see more of my paragliding and model mounted camera  vids there are some 50 odd videos  here!

Plus, this forum takes up some of my spare time. Thanks guys!

Better to watch it full screen on YouTube, than in this little window!

Edited By Bob Moore on 12/11/2010 20:47:27

Great stuff guys.

I seem boring in comparison!!
Still play football on Saturday afternoons (Definitely getting too old for it though, and my mind tends to wonder on what i could actually be doing).
Keen Golfer.
Just got my first road bike due to Cycle to work scheme, a Giant Defy 3.
Anything real Aviation wise.
Family.
Friends.
Pub.
Gym.
Swimming.
Never got into cars really, not sure why!
Oh and of course, before she kills me, the girlfriend is my best hobby!!!!!!!!!!!!! (She might be looking over my shoulder)

@ Kiwi: That car will never fly no matter how many models you put on it!!!!!

Wow, can't compete with any of that but I do play golf!

Spoilt for choice in the Summer, when I'm playing golf I fell I should be flying and when I'm flying.............

When the winds blowing a gale you can still have a round........and then there's always the 19th

JC

Posted by john haz on 12/11/2010 19:27:17:
i hope that includes oil burners Bravedan, that means i can join in with 5+ to spare LOL

lovely old machine that one is, what year ?  1920's ??    What gearbox, is it an old crashbox or did they use pre-select in those days ?

Mmm never owned a 7 litre car but my old pop had a couple of 7.2 litre interceptors, quick for their day but i doubt much of a match for my 20 year old japanese technology  
Edited By john haz on 12/11/2010 19:29:41

No oil burners then!!! They really didn't get "out there" till mid 30's.  Upper one is a 1920 Leyland, rebodied 1928, crash box, RH gate lever, fearsomely heavy.  The lower one is a 1914 Tilling Stevens, Petrol ELECTRIC (Drive), both no brakes on front axle.

This one is my latest "toy":-

Guess the year............. 

Not boring at all mate. I enjoy the pub (100 yards from my house) and friends and GF.
I forgot to mention that although retired I still do the odd yacht delivery. This one was exceptionally nice,  UK to the Med in May this year.  (they are usually pretty crappy boats I get asked to move!) 
Kind of relevant as it was filmed entirely with 808 key chain and MD 80 mini dv cameras that have been discussed on here,  as they are small enough to easily mount on models.

Again best watched full screen on YouTube as the quality from such a little camera is amazing.  The edit is pretty good to I think?
Sorry, it's the top one?  Don't know why both edits are there? (One has a Michael Jackson track and was blocked in 32 countries)

Edited By Bob Moore on 12/11/2010 21:13:18

Edited By Bob Moore on 12/11/2010 21:15:46

Love old buses and trucks! All you need is a vertical radiator radiator grille with a badge on it, welcome back 1950s (and beyond).  Together with austerity, ration books and rickets, but then you can't have everything!   Guessing 1933 for the single decker bravedan?

Other hobbies include motorbikes I have an R6,snowboarding,I climb I cave and surf and I want to start flying for real.

Who says RC aircraft flying is for nerds!

I also have a 1978 Honda CX500 (Plastic Maggot I believe they were called?)  . If I had a garage it would be undergoing some restoration, but sadly I don't have that luxury. And an 1989 T25 VW camper that keeps me busy. And some mountain biking and kayaking.

Mal is renovating a V8 Pilot,I used to drive one ,1st hobby became a full time occupation,Cars,fed up with them now,used to import Jap cars also originally from Ireland,then from motorway Car auctions,but with the Yen going up and the pound going down they became to expensive.the scrappage schems affected my business badly and continues to do so.flying has helped keep me saneUsed to pedal cycle race when young,took up motor racingin 1978,racedFormula ford 1600, Ford 2000 ,followed by Sports 2000,and after 2 humungous crashes ,uninjured but penniless.Became divorced in 1976,and kissed my house goodbye

Posted by Stephen Grigg on 12/11/2010 22:16:15:
Mal is renovating a V8 Pilot,I used to drive one ,1st hobby became a full time occupation,Cars,fed up with them now,used to import Jap cars also originally from Ireland,then from motorway Car auctions,but with the Yen going up and the pound going down they became to expensive.the scrappage schems affected my business badly and continues to do so.flying has helped keep me saneUsed to pedal cycle race when young,took up motor racingin 1978,racedFormula ford 1600, Ford 2000 ,followed by Sports 2000,and after 2 humungous crashes ,uninjured but penniless.Became divorced in 1976,and kissed my house goodbye

.........but then kissed hello to about 200 models eh Stephen!!!!!!!!

Photography. Lots of it. I have loads of cameras, digital and film. I have a couple of big overseas trips a year and come back with a few thousand pictures. I do a little bit here in between, like trips to the country and coast, as well as the odd model show.  So I spend lots of time on the computer playing around with the photos and other stuff. 

Apart from that, it's just trying to keep on top of all the house jobs, and computer stuff.  Would you believe that I actually have a mirror on my computer desk so that I can watch the tv behind me at the same time and keep on top of my recorded tv progs. Sad multi-tasking.

now that I have worked out how to add photo`s I have added these to my earlier  missive,
interesting buses ( I used to work at Metro Cammell Weymann-home of the Metrobus,Metrorider & Metrocab after I had left NVT)
When MCW shut down I went to Norton Motors where I built twin Rotor Wankel aircraft engines for the kit plane industry.

Posted by batcho99 on 13/11/2010 08:50:50:
r6dan. Just read your last post, about women riding ZX10's. I had to re-read it several times to make sure I wasn't the one getting confused We're you referring to Lyndsay being a woman?  I dont think he'll be too happy with you

Edited By batcho99 on 13/11/2010 08:52:11

Oh dear...looks like I shot my self in the foot.. Sorry Lyndsay.