Pick a Plane 2011 - chat and FW-190 build

Advert

Looks like i'm edging towards electric for this one as we have had two years of IC....the drawing work has begun so I'll post some pictures as I progress...

Vinnie....As for the Rapide, the voting was so close to the 190 this year and far beyond the third place Mossi.....its almost a done deal for next year......

I posted it on the previous page Tony but I think this one is stunning !

Think I'm definitely going to build this one, especially as it's now electric, good choice.
Would the new E-Flite electric retracts fit, they are a fantastic bit of kit.

190A = sweet. only thing is i'm already building the BT one (search watch out spitfires!) so won't build this despite it being my fav plane. Hopefully there will be more 190 fans soon due to this which is great

If there's a pick a plane next year there has to be some kind of a campaign for a really interesting type, so many people just post: spitfire, mustang, me109 or the like. They are popular, but it would be great to agree on something really interesting next time

The retracts are going to be the bug bear....the scale sweep is 74deg. Unitract seem reluctant to making the BT 190 retracts to suit this model so their small air units which can adjust down to 80deg may well have to do.

Haven't ruled out playing with other retract types and seeing if they can be adapted...

Stay tuned

Posted by Tony Nijhuis on 17/02/2011 22:53:25:
The retracts are going to be the bug bear....the scale sweep is 74deg. Unitract seem reluctant to making the BT 190 retracts to suit this model so their small air units which can adjust down to 80deg may well have to do.

Haven't ruled out playing with other retract types and seeing if they can be adapted...

Stay tuned

Is this not an ideal opportunity to make retracts?

An L shaped main leg with the short part of the L hinged just behind the leading edge, and further back at the main spar.

The full size has a brace near the top of the leg, which could be made into a over-centre locking / operating arm driven by a big servo in the root.

The actual leg could be oleo, or just decorated wire.

I'm sure if it were that easy, it would be done more than it is and retract manufacturers would be out of business.

But that's not what Tony does. He designs and builds his prototypes to make it possible for the average modeller to get successful result.

You want edgy designs where the modeller has to fabricate the fittings, go for Reeves, Boddington, Ziroli et al.

Cheers,

Hugh

Agreed Papa, air seems such a limited option now and these new electric units are fantastic!

I'm sure electric units could have the limit switches adjusted to suit? 

Edited By James40 on 21/02/2011 15:01:50

Must agree, electric retracts seem more attractive than steam powered ones.

However, most off-the-shelf servoless retracts are not adjustable, and like many retract servos are so fast they could be used to flap the wings, fine just to get the wheels up, but not very scale.

The Unitracts unit looks like it could be used if space was available, but then the gear still has to be made,

Posted by Hugh Coleman on 19/02/2011 23:32:46:
I'm sure if it were that easy, it would be done more than it is and retract manufacturers would be out of business.

But that's not what Tony does. He designs and builds his prototypes to make it possible for the average modeller to get successful result.

You want edgy designs where the modeller has to fabricate the fittings, go for Reeves, Boddington, Ziroli et al.

Cheers,

Hugh

and if Hugh is correct about Tony's ways of doing things , and he will design and build the gear, I'm sure he will have in mind a suitable way to move it.

The other "scale" detail is both wheels not moving completely together, ie one goes down or comes up slightly before the other. I think I would be prepared to sacrifice that for simplicity though, as long as the speed was near scale.

Posted by Papa on 22/02/2011 04:37:15:
Good evening Steve, check out this video and you will see the speed of the electric retracts. Not quiet prototype but not Bang Bang either.

Jack Higgins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_s0vFIvfjo&feature=player_embedded

They don't look to bad, they look slower in the plane than on the bench but looks like the movement is fixed.

I've never seen a 190 fly, so I don't really know how fast they move

Posted by Tony Richardson on 22/02/2011 05:17:44:
If it was large enough These might work.

I think a problem may arise with fitting most of the shelf systems for two reasons (probably more),

the wheel axle is not at 90° to the strut, and the strut pivots very close to the leading edge.

Also as stated, the angle of movement is less than 90°

Edited By Steve W-O on 22/02/2011 06:39:30

Posted by Tony Richardson on 26/02/2011 09:13:17:
It would seem Unitracts do a mechanical set for a 61 inch FW 190 here although a little expensive they may do the job.

I'm afraid at that price I would have to make something.

It may well be a fair commercial price, not criticising the pricing, these things don't take five minutes to make, just that the price exceeds my enthusiasm

Retracts are going to be a problem as Unitracts is down sizing and reducing his selection to just his standard air in small and medium sizes. The small size is a little too large for my FW190.
However I have sourced some air retracts that can be simply modified (in a machine shop) to an 80deg angle. The plan is to make these availiable along with the 212mm long oleo leg through Tony Nijhuis Designs.

The plan drawing is coming along so hopfully post some pictures in next few weeks...