Autumn special spitfire plans wanted

Steven Butler

Hi everyone,  I am new to the world of model aviation and have just bought my first RCME mag.  I would like to have a go at the spitfire plan build from the Autumn special this year.  If anyone has a copy of the mag with build article and plans I would like to buy it off you if thats ok

please get in touch to arrange. 
Steve

Advert

Hi Steven and welcome to the forum and a great hobby.

I'd keep your head down for a barrage of replies saying don't do a Spitfire first.
Not wanting to discourage anyone, I'd say go for it.
However, if you want to fly it yourself then you'll need plenty of air time learning how to fly on something simple first.

The good thing is that you've come to a forum and there's oodles of advice here. Just ask and you'l get plenty of answers.

Cheers
Chris 

Steven
I'm going to be the first of the"barrage" of replies . I've flown most things over quite a few decades .Just don't think you can fly a Spit . I'd give it about 3 seconds . I have never had one of my own but flown a mates at a good height for safetys sake .Everyone will tell you to spend a year or so on a trainer (&/or simulator). Good luck anyway -Good luck with the build and save it til later
Myron

Hi Steven

As had been said before, go ahead and build one mate! just make sure you get plenty of training time in first!

I have a copy of the mag and the plan and i would happily send them to you, dont worry about money or anything you can have them.

After all it's christmas! 

PM me your address and i shall send to you.

Good luck with the build and happy christmas

Dorset Flyer.

Hi Steven,

I don't want to sound like the miserable old so-an-so in the corner, and I do generally support the view the others are putting forward about chasing your dream and building your Spitfire. But I do think its only fair you fully understand what you are taking on - cos I don't want you to be dissapointed in this great hobby.

The Spitfire is not an easy first build. If you have previous modelling experience - fine. If not you will need to proceed very carefully and be prepared to have a couple of goes at some things until you get them right! It would also be a really good idea to get yourself a "building buddy" (I'll come back to that!)

Not all, but most, Spitfires are a right handful to fly. Even very experienced modellers treat the Spit with great respect. Flown the right way - its fine. But it is a aeroplane that is very intolerant of mistakes. It has to be flown fast and with precision to give of its best - slowed down it has a nasty habit of "biting back"! Ask me how I know that! To be honest it is very far from being an ideal first model.

So, what should you do? Your heart set on a Spit and the miserable old git is sucking his teeth and giving you all the reasons you shouldn't do that?

Well, first things first. Get yourself onto the BMFA website and find a couple of clubs in your area. Then get yourself down there and join up at the one that suits you best. The advantages of this are you'll get lots of help and they will teach you to fly, probably using something called a "buddy lead" which means you can learn without the expense of crashing too many planes! You will also find in the club a few guys who are really into building - they will help you to build the Spit - becoming your "building buddies".

Second thing, its Christmas - so get a nice trainer, something like the Seagull Boomerang or similar, plus engine and radio kit on your Christmas list. This sort of model is much more user friendly for a beginner - its stable flies slower and is very forgiving. YOu can put it together really quickly - so it wont hold you up too long. Then you can take it to your new club and they'll show you how to, start it, look after it and fly it - safely, which is very important. And they do all that for free! Depending on how much practice you can get in, and the degree of natural flair you display, it will take you between 3 and 6 months to learn. Its in that time that you build your Spit!

Have a great time learning - its one of the best times in the hobby - everything is new and exciting. And I wish you all the best with both learning to fly your trainer and then building and flying that Spitfire.

Any questions - don't hesitate to ask - very friendly and knowledable lot on here! They can help with trainer selection, engine choices, which radio to buy, the lot! Just be prepared for lots of different opinions! 

BEB 

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 14/12/2010 00:29:54

WOW

Thanks for all the replies.

I will look to fill out my profile shortly.  I have spent about three months practicing on the phoenix trainer with my dx6i Tx.  I have joined Maidstone Model Flying club and also purchased a dx5e to use on a buddy system.  I own an alpha 40 trainer which I am currently learning on at the club (landed on my 2nd ever flight as a result of using phoenix sim). 

I was thinking that the build would take a number of months and would be a long term project.

I think personally that I am giving myself a good introduction to the hobby and taking a sensible route to learn.  Maybe it came across that I was simply wanting to build and fly the spitfire as my start but this could not be further from the truth.

thanks for the replies though and even the barrage as I am sure it is good advice.

Steve

Thanks for the quick reply David.  I am currently learning with the chairman Paul Abson who has been very helpful and enthusiastic.  Which site do you fly at?  Currently I am using the Egerton site.

One other thing in post two on this thread it says to activate "send me a message" to enable personal messages etc.  Where exactly do I need to go to activate this feature?

All the best

Steve

Ah, good stuff Steve - I can see that I didn't need to do my grumpy old man act . But you can imagine that somtimes we do get folks that while they are full of enthusiasm - which we don't want to dent - at the same time are being a bit unrealistic in terms of a plan! When you said you had just brought your first copy of the mag you did make me a bit nervous for you!

But yeah, your plan sounds great - and I'm sure that young David and co at Maidstone will keep you on the straight and narrow! Enjoy.

BEB

Hi Steve

I fly at Headcorn but don't get to the other sites much but have promised myself to come across to Edgerton next year. Paul's a fine fella although I only see him at the Nats hangar bar when he's sluring his speech  ....don't tell him I said that or I'll be in for the chop.

Messages can be sent by clicking on the 'my messages' option of the 'my account' box or by clicking on a posters name and just below their profile text you'll see a 'message me' option. I'll send you a test message (a (1) will apppear in the 'my account' box).

Thanks again, I have just bought the plans from the back issues section and am in the telephone queue to sort out a magazine subscription. 

I noticed that myhobbystore.com sells two wood packs for this spitfire.  Am I right to assume that with these two packs I would be able to build the basic airframe of the spitfire using the plans I have purchased. 

When people are saying that the spitfire is a difficult build do they mean it is hard to scratch build this model or are they generally talking about building from these kits?

Hope that all makes sense

Steve

Hi Steve,

kits are like anything else in life - some are easy some are hard. The skill level varies depending on the construction method adopted. Also it varies with prototype - some models are easier because the structure is very simple - some, like the Spit, often have quite complex structures.

Don't let it put you off - all things are possible. But as I say be prepared for a bit of head scratching in places were it might not be 100% clear on the plan. You see the designer will have assumed that any one biulding a Spit may well have built a number of other models and so doesn't need every step spelling out to them - he will assume that they know certain well established building methods and he'll just "outline" these areas. Giving more detail in areas where he is perhaps doing something a bit different.

When you get the plans study them carefully and any details you not sure about just ask the guys at your club that are into building. Also, read all the build blogs on here that deal with the model you are building. Most of these will be blow-by-blow accounts with lots of pictures and so can help you at lot to clear up details of how things go.

BEB

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 13/12/2010 21:21:13:
Stephen, hi and welcome. You can learn on more appropriate models and build the Spitty in the meantime of course. At the risk of appearing to try and sell mags  but you can of course buy a back issue here.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 13/12/2010 21:21:36

I have been looking for ages where to order back copies, and had given up thinking they were not avaialable.

Just been an ordered one, but the payment system crashed with errors from sagepay.

Checked my paypal account, and it  has gone through there, so hope the order has in fact been processed!!!!.

But a useful thread anyway

Posted by Steven Butler on 14/12/2010 12:58:23:

Thanks again, I have just bought the plans from the back issues section and am in the telephone queue to sort out a magazine subscription. 

I noticed that myhobbystore.com sells two wood packs for this spitfire.  Am I right to assume that with these two packs I would be able to build the basic airframe of the spitfire using the plans I have purchased. 

When people are saying that the spitfire is a difficult build do they mean it is hard to scratch build this model or are they generally talking about building from these kits?

Hope that all makes sense

Steve

OH! so my offer of sending you the plans for free did not appeal?

Last time i try to help someone out! 

Dorset Flyer

Real sorry for not taking you up on your very generous offer.  When I came back to see that there was so many replies to my original question I must have simply missed out your post.  Again very sorry for this as I would have definitely taken your kind offer.  Please dont let my faux pas stop you from doing this again in the future.

All the best and sorry again

Merry Christmas

Steve

Hi Steven, and welcome. It sounds like you are pretty well sorted as far as the training goes. I am building the TN Spit, and while it is not too difficult a build there are some parts that could be altered to make it easier to build, in my oppinion.

As BEB says there are a few of us with Spitfire build blogs on this site, join in and feel free to ask about anything that isn't clear.  You can find us all lurking in the Tony Nijhuis Plan Builders Section.

I am not sure if your question was answered with regard the wood packs? The two packs will give you just about everything you will need to build the airframe.

Cheers
Danny

Posted by Steven Butler on 15/12/2010 07:58:51:
Dorset Flyer

Real sorry for not taking you up on your very generous offer.  When I came back to see that there was so many replies to my original question I must have simply missed out your post.  Again very sorry for this as I would have definitely taken your kind offer.  Please dont let my faux pas stop you from doing this again in the future.

All the best and sorry again

Merry Christmas

Steve
 Ah, no worries! i was being very light hearted when i said i would not help anyone else out hence the smiley with his tongue out! i guessed you must have missed my post, don't worry it's fine!

Good luck with the build!