Another reason to buy original spektrum stuff

I have never been one to skrimp and scrap on the most vital of links in our aircraft and her is another reason not to !!

a few months back i was ringing the hell out of my mini hype, and yeah i really was ringing its neck when i lost almost all elevator i almost made it back to the patch/long grass with full up elevator held in....... sadly she bit the earth very hard and was a complete write off i salvaged as much as i could including the AR500 rx (not a word Timbo!!!)  and trudged off home, i was amazed to see the damn thing still working case was smashed both aerials torn off and yet it was still bound and working cool !! sent the unit off to horizon, not quite sure why to be honest!! the repair cost was sure to be more than the RX

2 days later rx returned repaired and tested and no charge what so ever, top stuff eh !!

so with such great, nay fantastic service why buy cheap copycat Rxs i will keep buying the originals safe in the knowledge that their service is seriously the best there is out there !!  great work HH keep it up !!  

Advert

• 2 weeks later...
I SENT AN AR7000 REC. FOR UPDATE (IT IS AN OLD ONE)
GOT IT BACK BY RETURN POST ,NOTHING TO PAY.

I ALSO CRASHED 2 PLANES WITH AR500 REC, AND NO IT IS NOT A VOLTAGE ISSUE
I PURCHASED THESE FROM ALS HOBBIES. THEY GAVE ME A FULL CREDIT FOR THEM. (THEY WERE OUT OF G/TEE)

I NOW USE AR7000 SO FAR SO GOOD. 5 OF THEM IN USE.

I don't crash planes with my AR500's I've had these Rxs since they were available and not had any problems at all ever, I have 5 in different types of models, small, large, gliders no problem 

Posted by andy watson on 28/12/2010 20:13:06:
Maybe I am being thick here, but 3 crashed planes- along with damage to engines, motors, speed controllers, batteries etc etc etc. 

Money back/repair on the part that caused the crash, and people think that's great!

I really am confused.

It must be your apparent passionate belief that all crashes are caused by Spekky receivers, Andy.................

Posted by Lee Smalley on 15/12/2010 12:54:44:
 i lost almost all elevator i almost made it back to the patch/long grass with full up elevator held in.

2 days later rx returned repaired and tested and no charge what so ever, top stuff eh !!

Lee, there are many testimonies on here to Horizon's great customer service and yours adds to their excellent reputation.

I'm not clear on the cause of your "incident" though. When you say you "lost almost all elevator" what actually happened? Was it a physical failure (some/all of it fell off?), was the ele stalled, or did you just lose radio response on the ele channel?

Edited By IanN on 28/12/2010 23:20:25

Posted by Pete B on 28/12/2010 23:08:40:

It must be your apparent passionate belief that all crashes are caused by Spekky receivers, Andy.................

Not at all, I just assumed that since the receiver was specifically mentioned  (certainly within Johns posting) that they were the cause of the crash- otherwise why mention the crash?

I can't see anything in those posts which suggests, or supports, an assertion than the Rx was at fault, Andy.

The crashes may have occurred as a result of failures elsewhere in the airframe or simply pilot error and the comments were, as I read it, paying tribute to Horizon's willingness to make good the receivers without charge. I can't see that happening with many other manufacturers...........

Pete

Well I am interpreting the term "full credit" as money back/replacement?

Do Horizon really replace anything that has been damaged in a crash even outside the guarantee period, even if it was irrelevant to the crash?

I might be way off course here, but if that really is the case then that is excellent customer service, bordering on commercial suicide.

I really don't have any Spektrum axe to grind, but these threads are becoming very tedious- and they are very common. They all say the same thing........ I crashed an XXXXX, it had an XXXXXX receiver in it, and HH got it back fixed to me in 27 minutes. 

There is a dedicated Spektrum area of the forum, maybe they could all be combined into 1 single sticky titled "I love HH?"

Well yeah, I do love HH!!  The point is, we're all so quick and eager to lambast retailers/suppliers/whoever when they don't do what we expect of them that we should be equally as eager to celebrate what is exceptional customer service.  In my own case, my DX7 was rendered unusable by my own stupidity and it was still repaired FOC and in record time by HH.  If these threads are tedious to you Andy I'd suggest not reading 'em!  Mind you, there are those who just to love to have a moan about something - it's a bit annoying when a company offers such exemplary service that there's nothing there to moan about!!

i like to keep a balanced veiw between the makesm but how many other makes of radio get sent back so often for similar problems, dont get me wrong i use spectrum in all my models and have two dx6i. i picked up my transmitter one day with my thumb on the roller and it snapped. i now know this is a weak point so i wont do it again, also the trim switches are known to be delicate. yes hh repaired it foc very quickly but it is still something i have to think about every time i go flying, their repair or replace policy on anything old or new is to be commended, i bought two ar 500s at a show and didnt use them for about six months, when i did try them both were useless, they were brand new  so i sent them back to hh and they replaced them with no explanation what was wromg with them. very good service but two new recievers duff on the other side of the coin i have an ar500 in my trojan that has been flying for the last two years and has worked faultlessly, i fly this plane higher and farther away from me than any other model and i will continue to use spektrum radio for the forseable future. regards phil

the failure in my crash was the servo  not the rx i had full control of all other surfaces thats why i almost got her back as i said in the post i was ringing her neck and i think the servo had enough futaba 3010 as well !!!

Why is it BEB that I've never spotted any forum comment on how a Futaba or JR repair went (or many other makes for that matter). Is it because their equipment never ever has a failure?

I can understand Lees point of view. As both product and after care policy works for him.

I can also understand the views of those who use other party Rx,s and believe these views to have equal validity.

I am not sure that i would trust a Rx which was re-cased though, after significant physical trauma, such as loosing aerials, which could indicate that other physical damage remains to be discovered. Would it not be a lot safer to replace it?

There might be something in your (possibly) tongue in cheek remark BEB...and I have to admit that it's a thought that has occasionally drifted through my mind.

Spektrum have (in my experience) taken the modelling world by storm and seem very popular and well defended by their users.  We DO seem to hear more tales of woe from their users though but this could simply be down to volumes.

They aren't my system of choice but my personal opinion is that they seem generally OK but have had a few proven problems and rather a lot of (quite possibly spurious) reports of random problems, are extremely well supported by their importer and very cleverly marketed  with BNF, PNP etc. promoting their widespread adoption.

Andy does seem to have been jumped on unfairly - I made the same interpretation of the post from John Saunders and I'd like to think I'm looking at this without any undue bias.

Naughty, naughty, BEB.......that's twice on different threads you've made the same 'joke' in the past few days...........shouldn't mods at least give an air of neutrality?

Lee, for one, has already stated it was nothing to do with the Rx. If John Saunders comes back with a similar, non-Spektrum reason for his crashes, then I'll rest my case..............

Pete

Posted by Chris Bott on 29/12/2010 13:38:45:
Why is it BEB that I've never spotted any forum comment on how a Futaba or JR repair went (or many other makes for that matter). Is it because their equipment never ever has a failure?

Chris - is your comment in support of BEB's observation?

Quote:
New research reveals just how powerful good and bad reports of customer service are when it comes to UK consumers choosing where to spend their hard earned cash. A new survey out today reveals that over 80% of consumers tell their friends, family and associates about their good or bad customer experiences, with three times as many (25.2%) relaying bad experiences, over good (8.4%).

Edited By Martin Harris on 29/12/2010 14:03:03

Ah, Pete - you've caught me out - drat! Its such a good line it deserved being used twice - that's my defence!

Actually, I am of course completely neutral and above the fray in my majestrial seat 

But - more concretely - I can point to that fact that I actually own a Futaba 8FG and a Specktrum DX6. How neutral can one man get!

BEB

PS Still prefer the Futaba though

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 29/12/2010 14:05:19:
Ah, Pete - you've caught me out - drat! Its such a good line it deserved being used twice - that's my defence!

Actually, I am of course completely neutral and above the fray in my majestrial seat 

But - more concretely - I can point to that fact that I actually own a Futaba 8FG and a Specktrum DX6. How neutral can one man get!

BEB

PS Still prefer the Futaba though

That's good enough, BEB - although the DX6 is an older, tending towards obsolescence, Tx now.

If I'd had the pennies to spare, and didn't object to subsidising, shall we say for example, Futaba executives' daily champagne breakfasts, I might have gone down that line myself.  I know it is very good gear. My budget, however, persuaded me towards Spektrum and, after 2 years or so of use, it's never let me down.

It's just that I feel the constant, repetitive snipes are somewhat akin to being told you have an ugly wife or children.............

Pete

I started using Spectrum a DX6I,had a number of issues,changed for a s/h DX7,had a number of issues,changed for a New DX7 SE hand a number of issues.Spectrum service ,Fantastic,BUT, they never appeared to find a problem and always supplied New FOC.This started to worry me.I always used AR 6200 and AR7000.I had new ones that wouldnt bind, I had new RX that played up on first flights.All changed FOC.Finally I lost my Pulse when it went berserk on take off.There was no input from me and it did things I was incapable of doing  and the inevitab le destruction quickly occurred.It was the final straw and I  bought the Futaba 8FG..Ive had no issues since.Ive broken a couple of swiches and I need to change the aerial.It took forever to get the parts from Futaba.

I have heard and know of lots of people that have had faulty stuff replaced by Horizon Hobby which is great.

Personally I totaled a plane and it was confirmed by HH that the Spektrum receiver was faulty which they replaced immediately unfortunately they refused point black to accept any responsibility for the plane. Good job it was only £100 worth.

At the last nationals I was talking to a trader that had come across this several times and was a little concerned about it.

Only answer to this would be to return the product to the seller as this is who your contract of sale is with. Now providing when he returns it to HH they confirm it to be faulty the seller would then be responsible for consequential damage under the sale of goods act so you would then have the law on your side.

By the way someone asked why there was never any threads praising JR and futaba obviously he has never sent anything back to them or he would no why.