My motor shaft is too long.......

andy watson

I have just bought one of these motors:

I have bought a prop adaptor for it, but the shaft is aout 3cm long.  This means the adaptor sits on the end looking stupid, and also any vibrations are being magnified.

Can I just take a hacksaw to it, or is there a proper way to shorten it?  There do seem to be a couple of grub screws that I unscrewed but didn't seem to loosen anything.  There is also a clip at the back (shown well in the picture) that might have something to doo with something.

Thanks in advance.
Should have stuck to IC!

Advert

Yeah, first time I did this I felt the same - its irritating that there are no instructions with electric motors! Leaves us IC guys floundering!

What I found - after asking a few folks on here! - was:

1. Yes you can cut the shaft - I used a cutting disk in a Dremel rather than a hacksaw - they're quite hard these shafts.

2. You can move the shaft. I know it doesn't seem like it but you really can! Take out the grub screws, remove the circlip. Then place the motor on a piece of wood with a hole in the middle - I used an old wooden cotton reel - and give the shaft a healty "tap" with a hide mallet. But because of the need for a circlip groove you can't use this to shorten the shaft protuding at the other end - you can only use it to push the shaft all the way through so you can mount the motor the other way round!

BEB

Posted by ken anderson. on 19/12/2010 09:29:22:
back to the topic/title..........i cut mine with a dremel...no prob's.. 

Andy, the advice is sound but have a word with Enrico..... (The foreign lad)....

He has within recent weeks managed to  fine tune a much simpler method of shortening motor shafts in flight........