Batteries in series

Spice Cat

Advert

• 3 weeks later...
Just to let you know, two 11.1v lipos arrived in the post yeaterday. They were duly fitted with 60a connectors and into series. Said assembly was fitted to the electric starter. Spun her up and the damn thing nearly took off.
This could be classed as my first real leap into the el*ctric world.
PS This is the first time I have charged Lipos and used the free Logic RC charger that came with the subscription. Worked a treat (although I did hide under the bench when I switched it on.)

This will be firing up my 1.20 Piper Cub. I have recently modified the underside to accept a small digital camera, 5mp from ebay for £20. Hopefully I will be lofting it soon, weather and work permitting.
Thanks for the info about over discharge. I am willing to make some errors in the early days but I will get a battery guard/checker. Funnily enough, I received an e mail from Hobby King stating they had identical batteries for £6.99 each.

Posted by Spice Cat on 08/01/2011 21:41:22:
Funnily enough, I received an e mail from Hobby King stating they had identical batteries for £6.99 each.

Actually better than that (assuming I got the same email this morning.) It was $6.99 (dollars not pounds)  although the price was only available for 6 hours - so too late now.

• 11 months later...
hi people.. im doing my first large 3d model and need help with batteries, i have two identical 6v 3300 nimh packs to go into the plane, can i have one as a back up or how do i run both packs safely? (plane is 50cc sbach with 5 savox 20kg digis hence the need for lots of battery power) i know lipo is the way to go but never had a problem with nimh and the plane balances with both packs upfront.

Posted by Spice Cat on 08/01/2011 22:21:00:
Just had another look at my Blackberry. Dead on the money John, hopefully they will have a similar offer soon. Most people I speak to rate them highly. I have sent off for a windsock as a "test" purchase.

I'm thinking of sending my HK windsock back, SC - it sits there doing nothing in a dead calm and when it does blow, it always points in the wrong direction!

Pete

I'm thinking of sending my HK windsock back, SC - it sits there doing nothing in a dead calm and when it does blow, it always points in the wrong direction!

Pete
We have the same problem at our strip.
Wind blowing fine for flying; Roy puts his windsock up and, yes, wind swings through 90 degress to blow across the strip.
They should be banned.

Tom: It is possible to do this and prevent one pack discharging INTO the other if that one develops a fault. You would need to put a diode in the wiring from each pack. You would best use Schottky diodes as they have only about 0.3 volt drop. Look for diodes with a 50V rating and you may need to put two (or more) in parallel on each side to carry the current: look at the ratings for the diodes. They cost just pennies.

I would put all this in a Y-lead, and test by connecting just one battery at a time, shorting the plug for the second one with e.g. a wire including a low-current fuse (no significant current should pass) . The Rx etc. should be unaffected and continue to work when you do this. Test BOTH sides.

@Tom Clarke.... Or buy one of .these.....

Johns suggestion is cheaper though.....bear in mind that you would nned to bypass the diodes for charging the batteries however....

Edit.....knew I'd seen a cheaper version here Looks suspiciously like the PB one too....

Edited By Steve Hargreaves on 10/01/2012 15:55:03

Steve: good point about charging.

Separately: I said use 2 or more to carry the current. I SHOULD have said to carry the FULL current, assuming one battery has gone U/S.