Nissan Leaf

Former Member

Advert

Nissan leaf , ???? 
Is it called that because uncharged , leaf it at home and take a bus
What would happen if there was an emergency and everyone had half or uncharged electric cars , or a power cut due to the emergency.

Edited By kiwi g on 03/01/2011 10:28:25

Aah, the Zastafa Ugo.  A name I've not heard in ages.
I remember these coming into the garage I was doing my apprenticeship in during the early eighties. We were a Fiat service dealer and these cars were based on the Fiat 128. 
Rust buckets with a cracking 1300 engine
                 B.P 

Posted by tony bennett on 03/01/2011 11:18:57:
to build and run an electric car is more poluting and carbon damaging than running a petrol one.

have you seen the transport miles that go into making a battery for one of these.

And the technology to discover, produce, transport and refine oil has zero transport miles..............

I work in the oil industry and from what I understand that even if using electricity from a dirty coal fired power station an electric car is still less polluting.

Don't worry though there's lots of oil left, its just not in very accessible places either politically or technically.

I remember starting in electric flight 20 odd years ago with Nicd batteries and brushed motors, it was a struggle to stay in the air, I just flew my EDF plane with Lipo's and brushless motor yesterday if the automotive industry move at a similar pace and charging points are provided (you can charge up a lipo now at 5C so less than 15 mins to fully charge if you have enough amps) then the technology will become more widespread. Just look at the take up of electric flight as an example. The early adopters will be the ones that pay a premium of course. 

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 03/01/2011 10:13:35:
  so how long will the batteries last and at what cost to replace?  What happens if you want to go on a 51 mile trip, what chance of finding a recharge station?
Ah, technology,isn't it wonderful?  Bring on the hydrogen fuel cells, until then I'm sticking to diesel.

My understanding is that you have to rent the batteries from Nissan. The car is also only meant as a city car, or for a daily commute. But to me that suggests that you need to get a second car for anything else, and the environmental impact of making two cars must completely offset any possible advantages of having the electric car as well as being more expensive.

Also the need for lithium in the batteries will make lithium more expensive and make our 'leccy batteries more expensive... I don't like that idea.  

Edited By birdy on 03/01/2011 16:58:11

Posted by Eric Bray on 03/01/2011 17:01:46:
How long - well, present lipo's are claimed to give/take a thousand charges. So that equates roughly to one thousand days, or 2.7 recurring years if you go (say) 80 miles a day.
How much - well - that seems shrouded in mystery! Probably cheaper to get a new car!

Wouldn't care to be near one that spontaneously combusts!

Edited By Eric Bray on 03/01/2011 17:02:49

Just make sure you don't keep your mobile phone in your pocket in case it spontaneously combusts

The thing to watch out for is special privileges for electric cars ( ie privileges for the rich ) and ensure your local council does not give electric cars more places to park than the rest of us.
A couple of years ago I tried to park at LA airport but every normal space was full -  I just had to drive around for an hour!  But plenty of empty spaces for hybrid/ electric cars only. Stupid! 

Edited By kc on 03/01/2011 19:52:07

We live in the country, 5 miles from the nearest shop, 5 miles in the other direction up and down 2 x 1000 ft hills (mountains) from the doctors. And a steep drive. My wife needs to get to work every day, a 46 mile round trip. So we bought a 4x4 five years ago.

We have just had a foot of snow twice, minus 14 degrees. and a period of several days where the temperature was well below freezing continuously.

Would an electric car have coped with that? NO.

All we get for being sensible and ensuring my wife can to get to work is higher taxation!

I suppose that carrying a portable generator in the boot would defeat the purpose!.
But we might get more lay-bys built.

Reading the Nissan LEAF  website is quite interesting. The questions that are posed about cost & range and durability etc. are not answered. Nissan themselves state that It is not suited to rush hour traffic and it 'may not suit your driving needs'.

I also do not think it is very attractive in style.

the northern hemisphere is terrible enough for conventional engined car's......i would be interested to hear from anyone with one of the toyota hybrid's.....the early one's that must by now req the nimh batt's replacing..as some of them are comming up to 5 year's old.......what happen's do they get slower.....or are they just getting ready to stop working....apparently you can get the out of warranty one's super cheap...wonder why.... ?

ken anderson   ne...1.

Progress. When I was a kid I did a lot of cycling. When I was 16 I bought a moped because I wanted to go further and (a bit) faster. Then I got into motorcycles, then cars.

Fifty years later, 2011 Manufacturers are bringing out electric cars that cannot go nearly as far as I could on a pedal cycle.
(Yes I know that's simplifying the matter and meant to be - sarcastic) !
But true.

Electric  vehicles , hydrogen vehicles , lots of time and effort going into these technologies.
One must wonder tho if maybe we are still  stuck in the box thought wise. maybe theres some other technology we should be exploring.
It may be a case of two ideas that  will   work so everyone concentrates on it instead of looking deeper and further.
Just a thought.????