Rx Battery

Erfolg

My 2.4, 6EX battery has apparently failed.

Coming to it to set up a new model, I found the the Tx battery was flat. I recharged overnight. Shortly after using it for setting up, it started bleeping again. I put this down to to a charge period that was to short. So I recharged. Coming to it again, it is beeping straight away.

The existing battery is 9.6v, 700mah Nicad.

As Nicads can no longer be purchased, does any one know, a suitable battery type, that will fit in the space. The battery is 113 * 48 * 14 mm.

Advert

Would    t h i s     fit

It sounds like a standard "flat" transmitter battery, so I don't see why any of them should not fit.

NiMh is a suitable type for replacement, you could probably use lipo, but you have to be careful not to leave it on by mistake, and some transmitters can't deal with the higher/lower voltage, so best to stick to NiMh

Edited By Steve W-O on 13/01/2011 16:59:04

I am using the Nicad pack that came with my 35, 6EX Tx. I replaced this with a 2100 Nicad, as it did not allow a very long flying session.

Si ideally i would like to replace the existing battery with a larger capacity battery.

I guess that a Nimh battery, cannot be charged with my existing Nicad  Rx and Tx chargers?

Hi all, i bought some Sanyo Eneloops from Galaxy models, brilliant ! I can charge them when i come home from flying and they still hold a good 11.0 v after a week.
They do show 12.1 v just off a fast 2.0amp fast charge as recommended on the pack but this drops down to 11.0v and stays there for days.
Hope this helps,
Regards
Chris.

Posted by Erfolg on 13/01/2011 17:56:08:
I am using the Nicad pack that came with my 35, 6EX Tx. I replaced this with a 2100 Nicad, as it did not allow a very long flying session.

Si ideally i would like to replace the existing battery with a larger capacity battery.

I guess that a Nimh battery, cannot be charged with my existing Nicad  Rx and Tx chargers?

If you mean the dual slow chargers that usually come with the radios, yes you can use them.

The voltages are just about the same, and the rates are so slow it works fine.

The big advantage is that NiMh has no memory effect

Posted by Erfolg on 13/01/2011 16:49:15:
My 2.4, 6EX battery has apparently failed.

Coming to it to set up a new model, I found the the Tx battery was flat. I recharged overnight. Shortly after using it for setting up, it started bleeping again. I put this down to to a charge period that was to short. So I recharged. Coming to it again, it is beeping straight away.

The existing battery is 9.6v, 700mah Nicad.

As Nicads can no longer be purchased, does any one know, a suitable battery type, that will fit in the space. The battery is 113 * 48 * 14 mm.

This place is great & reliable. The prices are very good, as too are the battery packs.

They do Futaba sets: And TX & RX at 4.8v & 6v.  Though you may have to cut off the outer packaging to get the TX Battery in, as they are a tight fit.  They are well worth considering.  I use the 2500's

BB

Edited By Basildon Biggles on 14/01/2011 08:24:45

From the odd bit of fiddling that I’ve done with these things I would do a little bit of checking further on this first. Ideally if you can you need to check out the charger as well, to me it doesn’t all sound quite right somewhere. Only last week I did a preliminary check on one of the youngsters tx packs, (Nicad), which he said was duff, and it was good enough to pass my safety check, which is tight, so we now perhaps need to look a bit deeper.
   You can also still buy nicads, both loose and in a tx flat pack for Futaba transmitters. But if you were going to make your own you’d need to be very precise when making the pack, from what I’ve generally seen of these ‘flat pack’ tx batteries, they are usually a very good fit in the battery well.
   If I were going to use Ni-MH cells, again I would want to check the charge current; I think the standard charger is a basic constant current component so it should charge ok but it’s also possible that if the cell impedance is a bit higher it can reduce the charge current. I definitely know it can happen! With disastrous results! The tx diode also affects the voltage, but only slightly and that may well be factored in to start with; I couldn’t guess this, I’d have to check it. Also if I increased the capacity I would increase the charge time to suit, as per this formula. Firstly I’d establish the charging rate, let’s say after a couple of hours it was 50 mA. Then let the pack capacity equal say, 2,000 mAh. Add 50%, so capacity is now 3,000 mAh. Divide this by the charge rate, 50 mA, that equals 60 hours.
   This is from flat, of course, and generally speaking, it won’t be any where near this; and I’ve never been convinced by the general conception that nimhs go flat that quickly anyway. I recently bought a pack of four 800 mAh nimhs for under £2, this being the proper retail price, not a sale, just to see what they were like. These did not purport in any way to be long shelf life cells, just your standard jobby, but a test discharge straight out of the bubble wrap resulted in 742 mAh, down to 4 volts. I don’t know how old these cells are, but I’m certain they must at least be a few months; perhaps considerably more; so that was a very good start. A subsequent check has slightly better than 800 mAh, so this is certainly now favourable enough for me to make a pack and try in the trainer, to see how long they can keep it up. I reckon 800 mAh will fly the trainer all weekend without sagging.
   I think I’ve seen some prices, up to £25 for 4 admittedly much higher capacity nimhs, and up toward £30 for a 8 cell tx nicad; so the prices do seem to vary greatly.

As a footnote, has anyone ever met a pilot that has actually experienced ‘memory effect’? This is simply not just a case of - ‘My batteries got memory effect, ’enit!, rather that someone’s managed to establish it at will, and then displace it, complete with the documented evidence in capacity against time etc. I say this because I did a little experiment once, to see if I could do just that, but it did indeed have, if anything, a slightly opposite effect. I can post the results if anyone’s interested.

Is this of any help or interest?

PB       

There are probably quite a number of places where you can still buy Nicads, including Maplins.

I would say no, you can use the standard Futaba charger quite easily but if you can you really do need to know what is going on; otherwise you would need to obtain a charger to suit.
   Also, because the charging rate is always going to stay the same, you need to adjust the time scale.

PB

Edited By Peter Beeney on 14/01/2011 14:12:51

This is now something of a bit of a blast from the past. I’m reminded of the time years ago we used to run a trainer on a buddy system at model shows etc., using Futaba M radio on 72 AM. We could then fly all day without causing any problems.
   We quickly found that the 4 cell, 500 mAh rx packs, the one universal size then, would keep going until forever, well, at least all day anyway, without even blinking; and these, of course, were plug in and easy to change for fresh packs if necessary. Unfortunately the 8 cell, 500 mAh tx packs were not nearly so obliging, going flat very quickly, I think the constantly used buddy system added some load, and they were hard wired in to boot; and no fast chargers to hand in those days!
   Part of my work tool kit was a Makita cordless drill, for which the stores had also thoughtfully provided a second battery, a very convenient 8 cell, 9.6V, around 3Ah nicad. I wired in a jack socket in the side of the tx, this interrupted the internal battery. I, too, had a clip on my belt and a short lead, and it was so arranged that when I removed the jack plug, so that I could put the tx down, for instance, it transferred back to the internal battery; and vice versa.

This worked faultlessly, I only had to charge the battery between shows, even the 3 day Bank Holiday events.
   The first sign that the internal tx pack was knocking off was the fact that suddenly all the servos would go to one end, the model instantly dropping into a spin; much to the consternation of the student. Fortunately, on taking back control, we regained control, and were able to land ok.
   A couple of times there were individuals that could fly, pretending not to, with a view to having a bit of a game perhaps. But it’s not easy, the language is familiar to start with, and the little corrections that occur that the genuine beginner would not be doing tend to stick out a bit. So to some extent we were able to turn the tables!

And I’ve never stopped going further downhill ever since!

PB    

And if there was a crash resulting  in injury or destruction of someones property  the fun police would not be happy !! 

Edited By r6dan on 16/01/2011 18:28:55

Posted by r6dan on 16/01/2011 18:28:27:
And if there was a crash resulting  in injury or destruction of someones property  the fun police would not be happy !! 

Edited By r6dan on 16/01/2011 18:28:55

Yes, even if it was due to the price of beans falling at the market !

I guess that thirty plus years ago the CE markings and approval were not such an entity as they are now, I’m not even sure that they even existed then, but they might well have done; and as far as I remember the thought police were just that, a distant thought.
   In those days we certainly didn’t have the gear that’s available today, there were always problems to overcome and we just tried to get on with the easiest way possible.

So perhaps it’s not actually me that’s gone downhill, but I have a feeling that I know exactly why I wouldn’t want to get involved in anything anymore. The thought that someone is constantly peering over my shoulder, ever ready to tell me that my BMFA number painted on my model is the wrong size and so my insurance might be in some jeopardy is something that I just don’t want to contemplate.

Folks still remind me on the very odd occasion about those dim and distant antics and I did make the acquaintance of one gentleman that became a very good friend until his final departure from our strip to higher places.

I don’t know about the price of beans, but due to the inclement weather the price of beanies might be high!

PB