Charity Mass Build - Chat Thread

Advert

Posted by Steve W-O on 20/02/2011 08:35:54:
Motor mount.

At the risk of getting locked up by the KGB for discussing it before April 1st (the other people seem to have survived).

You don't need to make anything, just mount the motor straight onto the front former, and then brace the former to the fuselage sides.

Better go and bolt the doors now

(actually, this is starting to look like the tower of Babel with a class d notice on it)

There are other reasons for using the threaded rod mount on a model like this. There seems to be some discussion about the C of G being a bit tricky to achieve? If the motor is on a threaded mount you can move the motor forward and back to get it right without additional weight. You would be very surprised how much moving the motor a 1/4 will have on the C of G. Once a few Webbits have been built then we will have some idea if indeed the (typical) motor can go straight on the bulkhead.
The wise ones will build their Webbits in mid April but watch everybody else to see there problems/solutions.....

Cheers
Danny

Posted by Steve W-O on 19/02/2011 11:08:17:
I wonder what modifications or additions anyone has planned for when they build?

Posted by Danny Fenton on 19/02/2011 11:15:50:
Ahhh well that would be telling wouldn't it April 1st isn't so far off......

Cheers
Danny

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 20/02/2011 13:15:15:
Just to clarify a point here chaps - there is absolutely no problem what so ever in discussing how you plan to biuld it, or issues you envisage you might meet in the build, or any mods you are planning to incorporate. Far from it, such discussions are positively encouraged.

The only thing we ask is don't post details of actual building outside the agreed schedule that's all. Not hard to understand!

BEB

Thanks for clearing that up, now I don't feel that I would be breaking the laws

Posted by Danny Fenton on 20/02/2011 13:34:51:
Posted by Steve W-O on 20/02/2011 08:35:54:
Motor mount.

At the risk of getting locked up by the KGB for discussing it before April 1st (the other people seem to have survived).

You don't need to make anything, just mount the motor straight onto the front former, and then brace the former to the fuselage sides.

Better go and bolt the doors now

(actually, this is starting to look like the tower of Babel with a class d notice on it)

There are other reasons for using the threaded rod mount on a model like this. There seems to be some discussion about the C of G being a bit tricky to achieve? If the motor is on a threaded mount you can move the motor forward and back to get it right without additional weight. You would be very surprised how much moving the motor a 1/4 will have on the C of G. Once a few Webbits have been built then we will have some idea if indeed the (typical) motor can go straight on the bulkhead.
The wise ones will build their Webbits in mid April but watch everybody else to see there problems/solutions.....

Cheers
Danny

I read that the problem was getting enough weight in the front. (or making the tail light enough), maybe I read it wrong though

The use of threaded rod is a good idea, as it will allow for easy thrust adjustment, I don't think there would be a strength issue, it is used on industrial mounts, even on car conversions.

Heres my 2pence worth on glues!!

I'm of the same school that BEB is...
PVA for all not large loading areas and Epoxy for all the Loading areas.... So Epoxy folr the bulkheads and wing joining (for 2peice wings!! So not on the Webbit!)

I dont tend to use CA glue at all.... (only foam safe stuff on my 4Site!!)

Each to their own!!!

As for mounting an Electric motor in the Webbit..... I plan to put a 2nd bulkhead infront of the plan one.. 2 reasons..... It will provide more strength up front,.... and will assist in weight up front!!!

I might even look at putting a weight reduction hole in the fin........ Every Little Helps!!!!

Dave

Posted by Geoff Smith 1 on 20/02/2011 13:21:54:
Thanks for this gentlemen. Er BEB, forgive me for being a bit thick but am I being told off for anything? Cheers

Geoff

No Geoff. Don't worry mate if I ever do have cause to "tell you off" you'll be in no doubt! . But I'm sure that will never happen with a gentleman such as yourself (smooth BEB!)

Its just that our requests not to discuss an actual build yet seemed to be causing some folks (in particular Steve) some concern that they might be "treading on toes" in even discussing intentions. So I just wanted to reassure people and state that discussion about plans for your build was fine - in fact as I say its encouraged because it will help the less experienced to understand how it will all go together. As long as it doesn't spill over into someone actually gluing bits of wood together right now!

BEB

PS I've had to ask Mrs BEB to hide the box. I put it in the corner of my workshop and with the weather preventing any flying this weekend everytime I went in there I kept seeing this box. Not opening it was getting very difficult. But I know that I daren't open it - the smell of the wood will just make me lose all self control

BEB - I know what you mean. I've promised Mrs P that I won't order until I've been paid....but I've just had to buy something else on line and the card is right here.......

I'll scratch that itch by putting the card away and continuing with my spreadsheet....

Any idea's as to the airframe weight when built up? Need to plan a power system and cost it up. Also might look at retracts - just for the fun of it!

Olly

Posted by Steve W-O on 20/02/2011 12:59:54:
I can only give my opinion on the glues, certain others will differ.

Looking at the plans of the Webbitt, I would use PVA for joining the large flat surfaces of the fuselage sides, epoxy for the ply to ply joins like the firewall and front former, and CA for the rest.

Would use CA for most of the wing, but PVA for the sheeting. Sometimes I use PVA or balsa cement for the ribs, but recently I seem to use CA more and more.

I tend to use medium or thick CA for putting things together, then sometimes drip the thin along a joint, so that it seeps into the wood and joint. This is as much to strengthen the wood around the joint as it is to fill any voids.

Best is to use what you feel comfortable using for whatever you are sticking

Can you still get balsa cement? I used to love to smear it over my fingers and then peel it of when it was dry. Sad really but the mention of balsa cement bought it all back. Cheers my friends

Geoff

Here you go Geoff just for you. Humbrol balsa cement I would assume it's available at all good model shops?

Maybe get some PVA, epoxy and cyano for the Webbit and some BC for the fingers? I wonder if it smells anything like it used to?

Posted by Olly P on 20/02/2011 17:57:50:
BEB - I know what you mean. I've promised Mrs P that I won't order until I've been paid....but I've just had to buy something else on line and the card is right here.......

I'll scratch that itch by putting the card away and continuing with my spreadsheet....

Any idea's as to the airframe weight when built up? Need to plan a power system and cost it up. Also might look at retracts - just for the fun of it!

Olly

Somewhere I put the weights, and from that I have been working on 23oz, that's excluding motor, prop, esc and battery, but including everything else and a wire u/c.

I don't remember what thread it was on, probably one that has been locked now, not one of the new ones

Just a question for you all to think about (those going Electric anyway!!)

Battery position??

Better high up or low down??

I plan to mount battery in approx same location as the "fuel tank" but wondered if people think its better to be as high up as you can or as low down as you can??

Any thoughts welcome!!

Dave

The size of the battery hatch can dictate the position of the
battery mounting tray in the model.
With a small hatch the battery often needs to be fed into the model
at an odd angle - if the tray is too high you can't get it in! IFSWIM

I was going to go with a hatch between the U/C mount & firewall.
I think a 3s 2200 LiPo will go in ok with a battery tray slightly
above the existing fuel tank platform position.
Off to check

Edited By Richard Wood on 21/02/2011 16:44:55

Well I'm not planning on a hatch TBH.
Quite happy to remove wings to change Batteries!!

After all... Its not like I will be looking to "hot change" for another flight ASAP.. I like to have a break between flights!!!!

Having looked further at the plans,,, I think I will mount battery on top of a tray that is mounted at same level as the fuel tank tray.. after all thats where the weight would have been planned to go when tank full!!!!

Tally Ho!!!!

Dave

Battery vertical, about 1" in front of the leading edge. Can be changed for CoG adjustment

"Windscreen" panel removable for battery access.

Air intake scoop on the front lower edge of the winscreen

Top of motor motor bay covered, with air scoop on the front, air exit on the bottom just in front of original firewall.

Air exit on underside of fuselage about 6" behind u/c

Servos under main spar, receiver under leading edge.

Hi All,

thought it might be time for a roll call of who we believe is "in" at the moment. So here we go, based on forum names:

1. David Gilder
2. Lindsay Todd
3. BEB
4. John Thompson 5
5. Tony Prince
6. Andy Green
7. Chris Bott
8. Dan Moore
9. Danny Fenton
10. Big Bandit
11. John Lee
12. Mal Brewer
13. Ron Dudson
14. Mark Rowse
15. David Davis
16. Kevin Fairgrieve
17. Alan Dorrell
18. Steve Webb
19. Ian Jones
20. Geoff Smith
21. Engineer:Atomic
22. Dave Whitehouse
23. Richard Wood
24. Andy Butler
25. GrumpyGnome
26. Lady Sarah
27. Steven Butler
28. Chris Poulton
29. Richard Harris
30. Barry Grafham
31. John Redmond
32. LOKI
33. David Wilson 8
34. Kevo
35. Simon B
36. Olly P
37. Vecchio Austriaco
38. IDD15
39. Mal Quelch
40. Andrew Bourne

Please check the list,

a. if your name is not there and it should be please let us know!

b. Similarly if it is there but you've changed your mind and not taking part, let us know.

c. If you know for certain that some other folks are "in" but they are not on the list - again let us know, even if its just A.N.Other at this stage!

BEB and Dave G

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 22/02/2011 18:19:14

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 23/02/2011 00:00:08

Posted by Vecchio Austriaco on 25/02/2011 16:31:02:
So according to BEB's and DG's list we may see approximately 40 Webbits in June! (If they all survive until then.) Looking forward to a group picture!

Have already purchased all necessary material including a new DSM2 6 channel receiver (Jamara's Spektrum copy - coming into the UK shops just now...).
VA

What percentage of builders do you think will go?

I think 40 might be optimistic, though it would be nice