Charity Mass Build - Chat Thread

Advert

Again i must agree with Olly`s idea, sounds the most logical way of supporting the mass build concept . Also as some like to build the fuz first.... or wings first..... or tail first...... the more inept amongst us can find out what we are " letting ourselfs in for " during the various stages before we get there !

I haven`t started as I don`t have my kit yet!! thats the only way I can stop myself from building it is to not have it!!!

I have only taken it out of the box to have a quick look at instructions and plan. Also needed to get at the film contained therin to finish the current repair on the board.

I won't be starting until sunday at the earliest due to a) other model on board, b) table being needed by misses to cut fabric, c) work.

I'm hoping to resist on sunday also and spend the day measuring up for power/gear options from the plan.....hoping...

I haven't started yet, honest.

I've got the extra balsa, should have suitable covering in store, got an engine, should have a suitable tank etc somewhere. Still need servos, Rx, switch harness, undercarraige (?), battery, oh and of course I've got the T shirt but I haven't started "working" on it yet, so I will wait until 01/04 as intended. For a quick build I think I'm going to need all the bits in preparation though.

I wonder if having group blogs for each section of the airframe - one for fus, one for wings, one for tail, and one for final assy would be a bit disjointed?

Just a thought - if everyone is going to upload photos why not use the photo albums as blogs, or group blogs? Could work if the photos are suitably captioned.

Posted by Steve W-O on 02/03/2011 16:14:03:
Has anyone honestly not started yet?

I haven't yet. I want to keep with the spirit of the mass build. Cheers

Geoff

Nope, not started mine - not even opened the box - daren't!

Seems to be lots of support for the separate sections blog idea. Keep the ideas/thoughts/comments etc. coming.

How about if we nominated a "lead builder" for each section? Someone who was experienced and prepared to post with lots of pictures and detail so as to help the less experienced? Obviously you don't have to do it their way, but we would then quite quickly have an "expert" photo-guide to each section of the model. How do folks feel about that idea?

BEB

Posted by Steve W-O on 02/03/2011 16:14:03:
Has anyone honestly not started yet?
Hi Steve, Not even looked at mine lately, instead I've busied myself building green house decking for the daughters green house, and building another dipstick for an SC15. and last weekend running in a fairly tight SC36 for the Jumper 25 hack. This weekend over to Leeds to deliver the decking and spend some wonga in Sherwoods. Not long to go now.

Chris.

Lots of good ideas there, guys. I have already admitted to starting mine, but am keeping it under control by doing repairs and modifications to another couple of models.

I have just come back from the repro shop with plans for Webbit 53. Scaled up one third. Looks good for my OS30. Can't wait to start that. Perhaps my April build !

I hope to go to Greenacres, perhaps with Big Bandit. However, like him, I do not have my A yet. Our club gives a club equivalent but, currently, has no official examiners. Maybe I can get a trip to Old Warden beforehand.

Alan.

Old Warden might suit you best Alan I don't know. Another possibility though is that your club could contact the local achievement scheme coordinator. Very often it's quite easy to arrange for an examiner to visit you at your club.

Would love to but doubt that I would manage to get it done, and I'm planning so many changes to standard that I think that I'd confuse everyone.

I am about to order the add on wood, servos, power pack and so on.

then need to find somewhere that will do copies of the plan for me, I like to have a fabloned copy to work off, and a paper copy to sketch on any changes.

Posted by Alan Dorrell on 03/03/2011 13:15:51:
Lots of good ideas there, guys. I have already admitted to starting mine, but am keeping it under control by doing repairs and modifications to another couple of models.

I have just come back from the repro shop with plans for Webbit 53. Scaled up one third. Looks good for my OS30. Can't wait to start that. Perhaps my April build !

Hi Alan,

Sounds like you into scratching it as it were, like the idea of a bigger Webbit maybe for a 40 or similar. Just like I did with the 1981 RCM&E plan for the Matchstick, but I went from a cox 020 to an 049, 051, lots of leccy ones and now a 15 version. Best of it is with a good design to start with, and providing you select a good power train for the size of the model, results are virtually guaranteed. Then you can play with wing sections and such to Taylor the model to your own preferences.

I may go the other way with this one and downsize, possibly to an 049 version as I've got loads of Cox 049's unused and looking for a good airframe.

Chris.

Chris.