PSSA Gliding Events

Phil Cooke

Advert

Ladies and Gents - only 10 days now until we are meeting at the north Wales sloping mecca, The Great Orme. In case you've missed it, there will (hopefully) be a BBQ on the go, so bring along your own food and a couple of quid for the fuel if you fancy it.

Only 1 whole week after that, we can all meet up again to compare our sunburn's progress - officially at Wellesbourne airfield for the Wings and Wheels event on Sunday the 19th (fast taxi by a Vulcan and other nice stuff flying, plus a PSS picnic). UNofficially, we are trying to get together on the Saturday before this (18th) at Weston Park Model Show. This gives us a fun weekend of aviation overload, and a chance to see some model and full size flying, and perhaps to re-stock the balsa and hardware supplies halfway through the year too.

Either myself or Phil will update this thread on a rendezvous point for both events nearer the time.

Safe landings.

Thanks Andy. She's still slow walking and can't handle the dogs so I will be doing that bit!

Thanks god for the tie out line!!

She only went back to work last week so this "get away" will help to boost her mentally!

And me also getting to do a whole weekends flying!!! YAY!!

I'll probably camp - since I'm on my tod this time. Not booked Dinarth yet but will do so over next couple of days.

Dave - good to hear Jess is up and around.

I will stock up on BBQ food for sat evening ......

Regards H

Edited By Harry Twist on 04/06/2016 22:33:25

Confirmation for all those attending the PSSA's Great Orme Fly-In this weekend 11th/12th June.

On Saturday evening (assuming the weather allows and we are flying from the SW or NW slope based in the Tank Track Car Park) we will be running a BBQ on site - enabling us to enjoy as much time on the Big Rock as the weather Gods allow that evening!

Here's hoping for one of those barmy SW wind and glorious sunset evenings allowing us to fly on until dusk with a burger and a beer in hand!

Huge thanks to Tim for helping with the logistics and arranging for the gas powered grill to be transported up to where we are flying! We would ask anyone wishing to take part for a small contribution to cover the gas costs, please bring your own food/plates/utensils etc there will be some tables and chairs provided to aid food prep/consumption.

Fingers crossed we get the weather to enable this plan to be executed - we did try last June but Easterly winds and flying from the ski slope made this impossible! Should be a great social if the weather Gods play ball!

Ive almost finished converting a 91fs IC Spitfire to slope - kindly "donated" by Mr Foam Mark Kettle, and hope to try it this weekend.

Very nicely built by its previous owner, but never flown. I actually have the excact same model already, but it has been flown quite a lot at our power site - a Jamara / Sportsman Aviation ARTF.

I have lightened it wherever possible by stripping out the full size heavy servos, the engine and tank obviously, retracts and retract mounts, rudder servo and snakes, tailwheel etc etc. Ive repositioned the elevator servo right up the nose on the original engine mount, together with the battery, and around 1.5 lbs of lead. I've replaced the aileron servos with strong minis.

Its gonna need a decent wind I think, and the wing section is hardly perfect for a glider, but hey ho, we'll see what happens!

Heres my own 91 for stroke version from a few years back

**LINK**

Well almosty finished, just the cowl and spinner to sort. Its still in a rough and ready state, and the pilot is AWOL, but not bothered about that for the maiden. The garish blue underside covering is original but along with other alterations all this will be remedied after the test flights. Quite pleased with the final AUW - just on 5.5lbs, which is as near as dammit 2lbs under the IC weight. By my reckoning the wing loading is around 18oz per sq foot - very reasonable for a scale sloper - given the right conditions of course! All those little mods I did to strip out any unneccasary weight seems to have paid off, as they say, every little helps.

Wind forecast seems a lot better today, with 10-12 MPH SW ( should equal at least 15 and likely more up top )

Heres hoping for a great weekend, I've still a bit to do on other models such as the Vampire which needs a different battery etc, but all should be ready for Saturday