PSSA Gliding Events

Phil Cooke

Advert

Posted by Tim Mackey on 07/06/2016 21:50:25:

Apologies for a picture of a slimer in a PSSA thread, but heres my IC one again - cant decide whether to do the glider version ( assuming it works ) the same scheme or an all blue recon version.

That should go well Tim - with a nice bit of lift. Might be a tad fragile so try and do your best landings. Having a non slope airfoil can effect a model's performance a bit, but in good lift I have found it's not really that noticeable.

I have been flying a HK Durafly Spitty for five years and it is a lot of fun in anything above 10kts.

spit2.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 08/06/2016 10:33:22

Posted by Mark Kettle 1 on 08/06/2016 10:04:48:

Tim can I ask is it for the BBQ meat is it good to get it from...

Tony Doyles Fresh Meats - on the corner of Alexandra Road and Bryniau Road ?

20160608_095055.jpg

Open Saturday from 8 -4pm - postcode LL30 2DX,

**LINK**

Its OK - many people use them, not myself personally, but hey ho. Go for it

Posted by KiwiKid on 08/06/2016 10:30:50:
Posted by Tim Mackey on 07/06/2016 21:50:25:

Apologies for a picture of a slimer in a PSSA thread, but heres my IC one again - cant decide whether to do the glider version ( assuming it works ) the same scheme or an all blue recon version.

That should go well Tim - with a nice bit of lift. Might be a tad fragile so try and do your best landings. Having a non slope airfoil can effect a model's performance a bit, but in good lift I have found it's not really that noticeable.

I have been flying a HK Durafly Spitty for five years and it is a lot of fun in anything above 10kts.

spit2.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 08/06/2016 10:33:22

Nice pic Kid.

I also have flown several ARTF Spittys on the slope over the years, but none quite as big as this SA version. Have had a couple of the Ripmax and Hobbyking ones, and both fly very well on the slope, although I confess I left the powertrain in ...... just in case!

No such luxury with this one

My landings are usually one of my better features..... oh bummer, thats blown it ;-(

Incidentally, someone suggested that it may be better to have the COG a fair bit forward of the norm due to a lack of propwash etc? Can't see how that would affect things myself, as the lift wind will surely be replacing that, and after all, having flown several ep  models on the slope both power on and off, I saw little difference in their pitchability on /off. I have now finished the model and its a tad nose heavier anyway.

Thoughts ?

Edited By Tim Mackey on 08/06/2016 18:07:40

So with a less than favourable weekend weather forecast, I've decided I will still make the trip north tomorrow morning. However, if there isn't enough wind to fly, I shall head off and do some sight seeing as although Michelle is Welsh, she's never seen anything of the north.

I shall keep popping back to the Orme from time to time to see if conditions have improved, and hopefully they will be better than the forecast, because we all know how accurate the forecasts are, don't we wink

Helen's doing the same, on Saturday morning she is walking from the Premier Inn into Llandudno sight seeing, shopping and coffee shops etc, then getting up the hill mid afternoon.

At the weekend there is a lot of rain inland 100 miles away lets hope it causes wind off the sea onto the coast, warmer air moving towards the colder air.

Started packing the car this evening, see you all on Saturday.

Even though I have Monday off to extend my flying, I'm not sure how much I will get done. I will also bring a pop-up marquee and have the wind-out awning on the side of the van to keep people and planes dry.

Bring your wellies, and see you tomorrow!

Edited By Andy Meade on 10/06/2016 14:53:24

Would be nice to see you all, but having looked at the forecast with very light winds and variable wind direction - most directions catered for on Sunday which was the only day I could come, I have decided to give it a miss because at Leek and Moreland at least we have a constant direction if only light.

Will miss you all, so have fun. See you hopefully in August.

I've been following the weather forecast since last weekend hoping for an improvement but instead the prediction is even lighter winds today. I hope they're wrong and you guys get some PSS flying in today though.

I'll be watching the forecast for tomorrow still and could still pop over for the day if the conditions improve but for now at least I can get on for preparations for Weston Park next weekend.

Good luck guys. One day I'll get to a PSSA meet with some good wind! yes

Well that was a pretty windless meet, with very little PSS stuff getting going unfortunately. Sport models were flown both days, and we had a sudden 17mph on Saturday night that allowed some JP and Hawk action, but not much. Harry's U2 did well of course, as it so light. The BBQ was great - well done to the chefs! A good laugh too with great guys and gals. See you again this weekend at Weston and Wellesbourne yes

Saturday evening :

20160611_202159.jpg

Phil's JP gets soaring (bad mobile photography, sorry) :

20160611_205046.jpg

Saturday's pit collection :

20160611_140040.jpg

Mighty BUFF's :

20160612_140809.jpg

Ray Jones' designs and builds :

20160612_141016.jpg

BUFF closer in :

20160612_141647.jpg

Cold war collection :

20160612_142232.jpg

20160612_141617.jpg

Me and my new Vulcan (3 meets, 3 new aircraft....) :

fb_img_1465803217985.jpg

A super collection of Vulcans :

vulcans.jpg

Nice Photos Andy. It looks like it was a nice atmospheric evening up on the Orme. even if there wasn't much flying.. I feel guilty about not travelling!

It seems a long wait till the next event. Surely if there's a good forecast one weekend in July..........

I have just booked my hotel for the LLeyn meet, but I couldn't find a hotel closer than Porthmadog! Just in case anybody else has still not booked.

Steve - for sure I'm up for an Orme bash in July let's keep an eye on the weather so we can make sure we get the right wind at the right time.

Don't feel guilty though - you missed my fluffed 2 launches in a row of an electric glider in front of half a dozen PSSers at a BBQ...

Hey don't forget the ripped pants and the shoes from roman times Andy - jees you were a mess come Saturday evening

Steve you were missed but it was the right call not to travel, we only flew PSS for an hour on Saturday night from 8:30pm when suddenly the wind picked up to 15mph+

Turn out was great, and there were some awesome models on show, new and old - One things for sure - it would have been a PSS meet to remember for many a year if only we had the winds to enable 2 days of flying!

1024editimg_0388.jpg