PSSA Gliding Events

Phil Cooke

Advert

Well, still a week to go of course and anything can happen, but the XC Weather forecast at this range suggests we are looking at a favourable weekend with Westerly dominant winds and no rain. Obviously, we'll keep a close eye out on the forecast each day this week and will report any significant changes. But fingers crossed we're on for a good, positive start to the 2017 season!

1282.jpg

So definitely now's the time to cycle your batteries in readiness, rig those stored airframes and check for any remedial work needed before next weekend! Accomodation in town seems particularly busy (I'm guessing as the kids are off school in prep for Easter the following weekend?) so we are not all staying at our usual haunts - but no doubt we will still meet up in the evening on Saturday for a group meal/beer?

Here's hoping for a bit of sun and some excellent PSS flying!

Sunset formation flying 1

no confirmed plan as yet - with us all finding accommodation in different areas we've lost the 'go to' pull of the hotel affiliated eatery where a mass of us are staying, so its anyone's game. We should look for a suitable pub we can all travel to easily... maybe just outside Llandudno to avoid the crowds?

Hi Guys, I'm not really the best person to ask about eating out around Llandudno but here as some recommendations from the folk in the know! Wife, daughter etc! Allegedly all ok.

Afon Conway where some of you guys stay, pub grub, 01492 572082 LL28 5LB

Brewers Fair, Little Orme, pub grub, 01492 545943 LL30 3AL

Bengal Dynasty, Llandudno town centre, Indian 01492 875928 LL30 2LP

New Aisa Restaurant, Llandudno town centre, Indian 01492 870178 LL30 2DS

East, Chinese Restaurant, Llandudno 01492 868555 LL30 2AD

Queens Head, pub grub, Glanwyddan 01492 546570 LL31 9JP

Virgillos Italian, Colwyn Bay 01492 534239 LL29 8LG

Mulberry Conway pub grub 01492 583350 LL32 8GU

Wherever you decide to go, they will need booking and will probably be busy as it's the start of the half term week.

Hope this helps.

Good job I checked my JP last night as the battery was so flat (the product of the "scale" wire switch that it wouldn't even register on the charger - so yes I recommend checking unless you fly your PSS every weekend, which I don't.

Looking forward to seeing you all this weekend.

Re food, I vote anywhere with a metal grill I can sit in, to protect me from waffle thieves?

See you Saturday morning - and some wind forecast for a change of the correct direction - astonishing.

I've checked and charged all my batteries now.

Winds currently looking light, so it may be a last minute decision on Thursday as to which models to bring.

Food wise? I don't mind, I'm not fussy, but I am fussy about my beer.

Cider, (gives me a headache), lager, (a ladies & southeners drink wink), smooth/cream flows, (all chemicals, yuck). Give me a pint of real/craft ale any time yes

I hope not to jinx it (I usually do), but the weather looks pretty good for most things currently :

weather1.jpg

Usually the best location to search on, that receives the same weather as the Orme (in my limited experience), is Holyhead. Time will tell, but it's been improving for a week now yes

Big thanks to both Steve and Geoff for the pub/eatery recommendations... much appreciated!

Afon Conway where some of you guys stay, pub grub, 01492 572082 LL28 5LB

Brewers Fair, Little Orme, pub grub, 01492 545943 LL30 3AL

Bengal Dynasty, Llandudno town centre, Indian 01492 875928 LL30 2LP

New Asia Restaurant, Llandudno town centre, Indian 01492 870178 LL30 2DS

East, Chinese Restaurant, Llandudno 01492 868555 LL30 2AD

Queens Head, pub grub, Glanwyddan 01492 546570 LL31 9JP

Virgillos Italian, Colwyn Bay 01492 534239 LL29 8LG

Mulberry Conway pub grub 01492 583350 LL32 8GU

Kings Head at the foot of the Orme, by the tramway station. Great food, open fire, realales, what more could you ask!.

So any clear favourites? Based on Steve's request and the real ale stamp I'm tempted to book some space at the Kings Head at the base of the Orme, but I'll check first to see if they can accommodate a group of our likely size...

Ill check out the Queens Head too, The Mulberry we ate at last time on the A-4 mass build weekend...

Afon Conway and Little Orme Brewers fair is the same product, so nothing new or adventurous there...

I tend to take the average wind speed rather than the gusts, but on the Orme hopefully there should be more wind than shown.

Where is that forecast taken at Andrew? Holyhead?

All the trips I've made to the Orme and I've brought along my Tiffy but there's never been enough wind to chuck it off the slope and know that it would fly OK. This time I'm losing car space to camping gear, so I am umming and ahhing as to whether to try and squeeze it in or not.

Going by those average wind speeds, there is barely enough. Going by the gust speeds, there is just enough.

Decisions, decisions. I need to make my final decision this evening. I will still have the Aermacchi and L39 to fly though.

Edited By Steve Houghton 1 on 05/04/2017 08:10:06

Steve - yes, Holyhead for that wind. It's getting better by the day too. Current forecasts should see us in high 20's to 30's imho.

The Mulberry...good grief you can count me out of that one. There's a saying somewhere about organisation and breweries. They fall into that category rather well. Remember the little lad that was with Zaidi that didn't get his meal ALL night?