Priory models Lancaster

pete taylor

• 7 months later...
Hi Pete.

I have one in a box under my bench, and am getting ready to start building. I am going to try brushless motors and maybe lightwieght electric retracts. Having looked at the kit so far I can see that I will have a problem with fitting the motors, at present it looks as though I will have to remake the nacceles a bit wider, this will make them more scale like anyway.

Glenn

I agree, I am just waiting for the props too come. I have cut off the frontof the existing narcelleand going to mount on 1/4 inch liteply, but not sure yet about the cowl I am thinking of buying a 1/72 plastic kit. I think there might be room in the inboard nacelles for an undercarriage. I have a pair of light electric retracts from hobby king but not sure how to fit them

Hi Again Pete.

Have you come across this link yet?

There is not a lot of detail. My plan so far is to use motors of about 200w with 3 blade props and try to keep thhe weight down to 5-6lbs. This should give me plenty of power. For batteries I am thinking of 2 x 2400 3s which should give me about 6-7 mins flight with a bit of leaway. I would like to put the esc in the nacelles but this would mean extended battery leads and there is some confusing information on this forum as to how best to achieve this. I'm going to the hop farm show this weekend and will talk to the electric guys there. I would also like to have operating rudders and tail wheel.

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Wombat kit from them at the Nats.

Unfortunately, they may be ceasing kit production due to competition from ARTF's. Which is a shame, at it's the last UK Kit manufacturer who still does/did the shows.

Still they could have a Web page, but they don't and I said they would increase sales if Priory models even had some sort of web presence.

They are quite easy models to build, and all have jig-build fuselage assemblies all done, and the case of the Wombat, quite a bit of aligning work has been done for you.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm on my third rebuild of the Priory Lanc and have a website with by build and some video's. I'm converting it to brushless on an original wing and have some photos of the motor's mounted. I'm rebuilding with a new fuse and hope to have it ready soon.

Keith

Hi Peter
No moulding just made with some balsa and pink foam (XPS). I cut a rectangle out of the XPS and used a hole saw to cut a hole just slightly bigger than the motor. Then used a hole saw to cut a balsa ring which I glued on over the hole. Then just a fair bit of sanding . There is also a hole in the rear of the nacelle for air flow over the speed controller.

Keith

Hi Keith. Had a look at your web site as I am building a Priory Lanc. I am also going to modify mine for brushless and electric retracts so I have had to modify the engine nacelles that come with the kit. I have bought the Vac pack that goes with the Tony Nighuis Lanc as this has moulding for the nacelle fronts and spinners, So I have redesigned them to take retracts, esc and motors. I will also use BRC motors but was thinking of using the 2217-8T 1100kv as I already have a pair in a Mossie that I built. I intend to run 8 x 6 three blade props on 2 x 3s 2700 lipos. I was thinking of wiring the motors as two pairs and using a separate lipo for the RX and retracts. What sort of weight did your Lanc end up, mine will be a bit heavier with the retracts but I was going to Poly c it rather than brown paper. Is brown paper heavy? Any further tips would be appreciated,

Glenn

Hi Glenn

Wiring the motors as two pairs sounds a good idea. I've done that on my VC-10 with 4 EDF's and 4000mAH lipo's powereing each pair Soon be ready for its second flight.

Brown paper covering isn't that heavy on the Lanc and it certainly doesn't affect flight performance. One thing I did find even on 10 cells pushed as far forward as possible I still needed some lead to get it balanced but it flew really well, see the videos. I flew most of the flight on 1/2 throttle its really just a big glider with some motors.

My advice
1. Use 2.4ghz
2. Use a separate receiver battery. All my woes were down to loss of signal partly my own fault on the last crash.
3. The oval tail fins are prone to being knocked off so I've use some triangular balsa on the underside and blend the ends in, Hardly noticeable but makes them a lot stronger.

One of our flying club members has the Multiplex cargo and he's made it look like a B-17 and used 3 bladed props and he's programmed his transmitter so he can power on or off the outer or inner pairs, he uses two lipo's one for each pair. Says once he's up it flies on 2 motors with hardly any loss of performance.

Hope that helps.

Lets see some pics when your done

keith

Posted by Glenn Philbrick on 18/10/2011 21:06:13:
Hi Keith. Had a look at your web site as I am building a Priory Lanc. I am also going to modify mine for brushless and electric retracts so I have had to modify the engine nacelles that come with the kit. I have bought the Vac pack that goes with the Tony Nighuis Lanc as this has moulding for the nacelle fronts and spinners, So I have redesigned them to take retracts, esc and motors. I will also use BRC motors but was thinking of using the 2217-8T 1100kv as I already have a pair in a Mossie that I built. I intend to run 8 x 6 three blade props on 2 x 3s 2700 lipos. I was thinking of wiring the motors as two pairs and using a separate lipo for the RX and retracts. What sort of weight did your Lanc end up, mine will be a bit heavier with the retracts but I was going to Poly c it rather than brown paper. Is brown paper heavy? Any further tips would be appreciated,

Glenn

Am interested how you fitted retracts and what ones you used

Pete

I have the Priory Lanc, built pretty much as per plans except with four brushless motors, paired inners and outers, running from two 1300 3s lipos. Covering is brown paper and pva and it carries no ballast. Flight times exceed 10 mins without any bother. I left some of the sheeting off the bottom of the nacelles to keep the speed controllers cool

Perhaps the only thing I would change would be to fit a rudder to tidy up the turns, it seems to have adverse yaw in right turns,, although could this be a thrust line issue?? All the motor are mounted square, no out or down thrust.

Mine flies on 35meg, using the flight batteries for power, not had any issues with control at all. Three of the SCs have one wire removed to disable the BEC facility. The RX is powered by one of the inner motor SCs. The batteries get pretty warm if flown at speed but with good throttle management they don't get too stressed at all. I don't fly the batteries to their limits of capacity. touch wood, all has worked well so far.

I think that it looks right in the air, but to be fair, it was only ever designed to be 'stand off and squint' scale, so I'm not sure that fitting retracts is that good an idea in this model. The TN 72" Lanc would be a better proposition in that respect.

Stu k

Edited By stu knowles on 19/10/2011 10:35:09

Attached are a couple of pics of the nacelle, retracts and mouldings that I have built for my Lanc. I understand that the Priory model is just a look alike but I want to try these retracts so have built these to make it look slightly more scale like. I also intend to have the rudders work and a stearable tail wheel. The retracts I bought off E bay, I went for the larger size as the smaller units I thought would be just at the top end of their weight capability. They are supposed to be able to take up to 4.7kg, looking at the construction I doubt this but my target weight is under 3kgs and I think they will be able to cope with that.

Glenn

Nothing wrong with any of your ideas Glenn, , I thin k that you will be pleased with the final result.

Keep adding a few pics as you go along!

stu k
PS as an after though, I was never very happy with the shape of the front turret, it doesn't look right at all, you might want to consider a remake.  I made the front glass 'cowl' demountable. It is held in place with a strong elastic attached to the wing former. It makes a good hatch to load in the batteries

Edited By stu knowles on 20/10/2011 18:42:01

• 3 weeks later...
Finally got round to completing the two inner nacelles. I've been diverterted by too many repairs to other models, however flying today cancelled due to rain.
You can see I hope why I had to modify them to fit the retracts which so far work very well, I will leave the legs as single wires untill the end to see how much this is going to weigh and to make sure I've got ground clearance.I also made the whole nacelle easily removable so that I ca nget to the motor,retracts without to much bother. I'm quite pleased with it so far. I will use more of the kit parts for the outers, but will round them off to fit the moulded nose cowls. After talking to BRC They have recommended the 2217-6T which are rated at 200w with 8 x 3 three blade props so this is what I will use. I had a quick look at the fusalage bits and not impressed at how badly they fit, so will have to think about how to make the most of this.

• 3 months later...
I'm back on building the lanc now, after having to build another Mossie which became terminal.
I'll post some pics next week. I am starting to think about the wiring loom so that I can complete the wings. Each motor is expected to pull about 200w at around 20amps, I have either 16swg twisted or 1.5mm single wire for the power cables, as you can see there are two slots in the wing, if I put one wire down each does that increase the magnetic effect or reduce it? Which of these cables is best to handle the full 80amps and are Deans connectors OK for this rating? I will only use Deans to connec t the battery the conection to the ESC will be 3.5mm bullets
Once the model get airborn I was thinking of mixing the inner and outer motors so I could slow one pair down, which pair is best outer or inner?
I put everything on the scales and it came out at 5.5lbs with 3 x 2200 3cell lipos so I still hopefull that I can get it in under 6lbs finished.

Thanks

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...

Nose arrangement

Attached are a couple of recent pics of the progress of my Lanc. As you can see I have elected to fit a rudder folowing suggestions from other builders. I have also lengthened the fusalage nose by 1/2" and cut the nose cowl down to make it fit better, also the cockpit moulding now will fit better.The next stage will be to assemble it completely to see where the Cof G is so that I can then determind what size batteries will balnce the model without further balast if poss. Rudder set up

• 7 months later...

I know this is a long time after the last thread on this model, but I have finally had a couple of successful flights with it. The main problem that I had was concerning excess vibration when the model was airborne at even very minimal throttle settings. This made it very marginal to fly and resulted in a few breakages before the solution was found.It turned out the the three blades props were flexing in flight and this caused the severe vibration. As the choice of tractor and pusher props is quite limited this took some time to sort. Once two bladed props where found to be Ok I had to make up new spinners to suit. It now flies well and has the correct presence in the air. So far I have managed 6 mins flight with 2x 4000 3s lipos but they are only about half used on landing so there is more time available.

Completed Lanc 2

• Like 1