rudder Mod on Wot 4

I bought an old Wot $ Mk2 a year ago stuck a new OS 46 La and flew it as a winter hack.The main problem was it would turn sharp right on take off,towards the trees so it was always jolly exciting.it seemed to get worse evey time I flew it so confined it to the shed.I wanted a Winter hack so retrieved it,changed the u/c as I felt its problem may lie there.Fitted a new OS 40 FP I bought before christmas off E bay.and it only needs 2 small jobs tomorrow to complete it.The rudder was very bent when I bought it and I glued a piece of hard wood down one side that cured the bend.Will this affect the aero dynamics and handling of the model.Should I fit a similar piece the other side and shape them to a wedge?

Advert

stephen----it wont effect the take off run....once the model is rolling - if it try's to turn off...catch it with the rudder....and when it's got enough speed the flow of air should keep it tracking straight.......it's a lot to do throttle/rudder and elevator when attempting to get off the ground in a matter of second's......the only way the undercarriage will really bite in-is if it's out a lot.......so back to your bit of wood stiffner.....that'll not effect it......normally what give's people prob's is if they let the model go where it want's and also if the take off run is too slow......
hope that help's you.....

ken anderson ne...1.

Posted by Myron Beaumont on 02/02/2011 06:25:05:
You can probably buy one ( genuine replacement ) for about £50 from the maker/bodger .
I've read of peeps spending almost more on replacement parts than the whole thing !!!

Cost of wood for a rudder ? 1 P ??
Grumpy

Perhaps he is into retail therapy?

Blush

Plummet

What a ripmax off for a rudder!! for fifty English pounds I will cast you a gold rudder using fire and brimstone!

Just asking a silly question...

If not re-tail therapy, then what about cross-wind.. I know that at some flying sites there are laid-out runways, at others, a patch. At the latter, you can take off into the wind. At the former, the take-off direction is fixed.

At a full-sized light aircraft field I have seen something similar - the settings that take the aircraft straight along the runway are not adequate after takeoff when the "wind gets under the wing", and the aircraft suddenly banks away from the crosswind. (I do not know how the pilot and instructor felt, but I had a moment of panic watching.) I chatted to the instructor later, and he said that standard practice was to add a bit of aileron in anticipation of this. Steer with the rudder on the ground, but to be ready at lift off.

Could this be some of the problem? Is the prevailing wind at your site a cross wind to any extent?

Plummet