Fireflash

Tony Bennett

It's looking great Tony.
Can you give us any idea of the weight so far. looking at the photos it could be anything from really light to a solid log

Advert

Oh my God! it flies!

What do you mean it is on the ground?

Seriously I wish you the best, I guess it comes down to if the thrust is sufficient, and if your reactions and vision are up to it!

How much does it weight? as that is also part of the conundrum.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
the spitfire and the hurricane had been mooching about for a while, then they cleared off.
5 mins later there was a rumble and the lanc popped over the roof of my house at about 100 feet and flew down the whole length of the garden, banked and flew off towards farnborough.

wow.

• 2 weeks later...
You seem very close to having completed the airframe?

Have you obtained the fan units? I understand you are planking the ducts. Although I thought could they not be rolled, or is that something that is not that easy with Depron?

Where will the CG be? Have you experience of a canard type model previously?

well here are some more pictures.

done the wiring for the engines and run it down inside the mounts.

here she is with all the removable sections in place and a london taxi for scale.

my mate laura is keeping the hood at bay.

Edited By tony bennett on 30/05/2011 15:34:26

Hi Tony.
What a superb project, and nicely modelled to.
I suspect quite a few people would like some more info, the following questions immediately spring to mind.
C/G position.
AUW.
Wing Loading.
Power to weight ratio.
ROG....Lifting the nose....with the main wheels that far back.
Thrust line.
By the way what happemed to the EP GLIDER did it ROG eventually ?

Tom.

hiya
not had the weather round here for flying, wind wind and rain.
at the mo it weighs 1580gm
wing area of 220 square inches.
then i am also expecting the flat fuselage botom and wheel pods to help with the lift.
though it is all experimental to be honest.
not measured the engine power yet.

the rest is in the lap of the gods.lol.
the theory is that the nose will lift from the canards and it will pivot on the main wheels to lift off.

lots to do yet before i can even attempt to fly it.

Hi Tony ,

I think your best option will be to let it roll down a very long hill to let it get some speed up ,
or may be a bungee launch , i can not see enough wing area for it too fly , other than an as an exerset missile .
Would love to see it fly though even if you use the original puppet strings .

Dont give up on it .

Wow Tony.
That's 1.52 sq ft and a current weight of 3.5lbs ,that makes the wing loading around 36 0z per sq ft. even with a bit of help from the fus area those figures are in the challenging ball park.
The basic figures are suggesting quite a high power requirement ballistics are not my thing but its looking like 350- 450 watts !
Would hate to see all that work damaged how about contacting the film producers for a remake lol.

i could make the wings larger by building a new Le 3 inches further forwards.
that could give me another 72 square inches on the main wing, then do similar on the canards.

thing is i don't want to get too far away from the original design as if I'm not careful i will end up with a tupulev 144 with engines in a funny place.

or i could just finish it as is and run it down a zip wire in the garden and pretend to be Virgil Tracy.

It doesn't look very "slippy" with those bits sticking out here there and everywhere! So the drag might be quite high. But provided it can get up enough speed it will fly. So its all about thrust.

I would think ROG is probably not on, but a bungee launch should be possible - indeed might be necessary. That would give it flying speed straight from the off.

Go for it Tony - you didn't do all this work for it to decorate the ceiling!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 31/05/2011 10:42:02

Come on guys its not time to make this a hanger queen, yes the wing loading is a little on the high side, probably no worse than a starfighter and the thrust might not be quite as much as required, the high mounted fans may give some thrust / incidence issues and the canards may prove interesting in authority, oh and it will have a roll rate faster than the blink of an eye, but hey what a project. Personally go for a ROG a least to assess the power required, just choose a nice long runway and go for it.