keyfob video camera

Former Member

Advert

Probably the card reader can't handle an 8gig card, some won't handle above 2gig and some (and many cameras) won't handle above 4gig.

All the laptops in the house will handle them when plugged straight into the laptop, they were bought in the last 8 months, but one I use for the cars (OBD) and my models, wion't accept above 4gig, and that is about 18 months old.

The card readers from the £1/99p stores won't accept above 2gig either.

They record for about an hour.

Some of them change the aspect ratio, best thing is to have a good read of the site given above, it is the best reference.

The initials SD on an SD card stand for "Secure Digital". The secure part relates to the fact that they can be locked, rather like the old floppy disks could be. If the lock is on, then the card cannot be erased or written to. On the "mother ship" adaptor you'll see a small slider on the side, and this is the locking mechanism. Try putting the micro card back in the adaptor and moving the slider up and down again. It should be fully down (towards the gold connectors) for the card to be unlocked. Once unlocked you should be able to read and write (and erase or format).

Hope that works for you - if not you might have a faulty card or reader.

Eric,

As RW says, if you've checked that the adaptor is not in the locked position, and Window automatically detects the card when you insert it in the computer, you should get an option to delete the files after uploading ( a tick box below the progress bar). If it is set to locked that option won't appear.

The alternative is to go to 'Computer', right click on the drive containing the card and select the 'Format' option.This will erase everything on the card.

The camera would have come with a USB lead or adaptor - have you tried using that? The alternative is to use a USB adaptor that often comes with digital cameras.

With 8Gb there should be enough for 3+hrs of video.

If you get the '808SetClock' program from the link on ChuckLohr's page, it is easy to set the time correctly, rather than have all your videos dated 2008.......

Pete

Eric, I can read and write to my card either whilst it's in the camera (connected by mini-USB lead) or with the card in a card reader. I've not used a card bigger than 2G though...

I've read quite a lot of discussions about these cameras and the problems people have had - the one you describe has not been mentioned before! It does seem strange that the camera can write to the card, yet you can't write to it with the card in the camera. Very odd!

Edited By John Privett on 13/02/2011 10:25:33

Hi Eric,
This is a long-shot but, have you access to a Mac? I have one of the gum-cam video cameras. When I connect through to iPhoto on the Mac it asks which videos I want to import. Once I select individual videos or "All" it then asks if I want to delete them on the camera. If I click "Delete" it erases the videos on the card - in this case a 16 Gb micro SD.
Tony

Edited By TonyS on 13/02/2011 10:33:19

hi Eric
i too am using one of these with reasonable results. to delete my old data i plug it into the usb, open "my computer" click the drive relating to the camera and delete the file from there.(or of course simply move it if you want it saved elsewhere)

Eric
Not all the 808 cameras will actually write to 8 Gig. On some versions the embedded mobile phone software will not handle more than 4.

Like all LiPo they are temperature sensitive particularly when mounted on the outside of a plane!
They claim 40-50 minutes recording but In a sub zero air blast it can be less than 10.

Connected to your PC the camera appears as a removable drive and individual files in it can be moved or deleted just like any other drive.

Under Windows you can view pictures directly from the camera but you cannot play a video. Windows will load it into the PC first.

Posted by TonyS on 13/02/2011 10:32:29:
Hi Eric,
This is a long-shot but, have you access to a Mac? I have one of the gum-cam video cameras. When I connect through to iPhoto on the Mac it asks which videos I want to import. Once I select individual videos or "All" it then asks if I want to delete them on the camera. If I click "Delete" it erases the videos on the card - in this case a 16 Gb micro SD.
Tony

Edited By TonyS on 13/02/2011 10:33:19

This has reminded me, quite often I find that windows will not delete a file on a card, although it can be read, and if I plug the same card and adaptor into a Linux machine, it deletes OK. Linux creates a recycle folder on the card, so you have to delete that or format to get full capacity back again.

Posted by A.A. Barry on 14/02/2011 05:09:20:
Guys a little bit of track but, is there a camera available yet, that can be placed in a model and records directly to a moniter on the ground??
If so where would one get his fingers on one?
Thanks
Barry

That would require one of those video transmitters that the FPV enthusiasts use.

Edited By Kozmyk on 14/02/2011 05:35:13

Hi Eric,

I have several of these 808's and an MD80. It's true that some pc card readers can't handle SDHC , that is high capacity cards. (Above 4gig I think is HC) But if the pc is reading the card while in the camera, you should just be able to select the file (s) and delete them?

If you want to see what is achievable with these little cameras check out my YouTube channel. Here's a proper movie of a yacht delivery I made, shot with just mini DV's.

I have successfully removed the date stamp from my cameras. It's described on Chuck Lohrs web site linked above. And in my post here

Here's a video comparing the four cameras and wide angle lense effect.

Best seen full screen in YouTube?   Click bottom right corner of the video. to go to YouTube.

Edited By Bob Moore on 14/02/2011 12:37:55

Edited By Bob Moore on 14/02/2011 12:38:29

Eric, check to see if your SD card is formatted to NTFS and not FAT. Strange things can happen to larger file sizes with the lesser formats. You can use the "convert" utility in Windows to do this without losing the data on the card.... supposedly!

And if you ever find out how to remove the date and time from your recordings please let me know, I can't do it.