Making a paper servo lead tube!!

Kevin Fairgrieve

I will shortly be covering a small I.C. powerd plane with a servo at the tail end.
I need obviously to get the lead from the back end to the radio bay, and decided a paper tube would be best.

So once you have rolled your tube, how do you glue it? Not to the airfame but to itself so that it does not unroll?

Superglue.. Messy and likely to glue myself to it.

PVA.. long cure and dry time. Or is it?

Pritt stick. Would it stand up to the environment?

Anything else.

Your thoughts and sollutions, greatly appreciated.

Kev

Advert

Hi Kevin,

I use to make mine with brown paper which I roll on a allu tube using PVA. Dries in minutes and hard enough to the function.

Cheers,

Augusto

PS: you add glue as you roll it on. 

Edited By Augusto on 02/03/2011 14:28:05

Edited By Augusto on 02/03/2011 14:28:31

The system that I use was told to me by an Australian friend and it is so simple and easy.

Forget gluing paper round formers and all that mess.

Take your paper and roll it round a 1/4" dowel. Insert it up through the holes in the wing and then allow it to unroll.

Apply glue where it touches the ribs and along the join. Job done. you can slide your leads down easily

Edited By Peter Miller on 04/03/2011 19:30:11

Hi, I find that the round tubes do restrict the passage of the connector over other cables. I prefer to have square tubes the width of the connector + a bit. They can lay in square apertures through the structure with exit holes on the underside so the connector falls out as it is pushed along. Ideal for wings with two servos each side.

Indeed Vic Smeed`s designs are classic.

This reworking takes the best and updates it using CAD, design and cutting.

As the original was freee flight, everything modern is "not derigur". Hope I said that correctly.

Anyway the plan calls for a tail mounted servo, and better designers than me have dedided it should be. So. A paper tube it is.

Kev

As I said above, you don't need a paper tube down the fuselage. The ONLY reason for a paper tube in the wing is to get the plugs past the ribs. I have even seen ARTFs (Spit, spit) which did not have paper tubes in the wing, just a piece of cotten down the holes to pull the lead through.

Edited By Peter Miller on 06/03/2011 07:51:53

You could do it the same way as getting an aerial through........stick a piece of piano wire in from the tail and when it gets to the front, tape the lead to the piano wire and pull back through.
I suppose keeping it away from the closed loop is important, because the closed loop wire might just abrade & cut through an extension lead in time.