Whats the difference between FHSS and FASST?

kc

TW2, why not state the names of the equip you recommend and the brand name alternative?

As for Futaba 6EX 2.4 or T6J it would appear that only the 6EX 2.4 is avail from the major retailers at the moment and they are discounting it more now it seems. ( Will they still be avail in a few months?) The 6 EX combo (with NiMH I think ) is about 28 pounds cheaper than a (non avail ) T6J combo ( dry battery)  catalogue price. The 6EX 2.4 with servos chargers Rx nicad and switch seems a bargain. Proven technology and it's cheaper. You pay 10 pounds more per Futaba FASST Rx but you can buy non Futaba Rx if you want to risk it.
No choice at the moment really the 6EX2.4 seems the thing to buy.   Next month......who knows if there will be such a  choice?

Edited By kc on 06/04/2011 15:40:15

Hi KC.
I am not recommending or attempting to advertise anything just pointing out the significant differences a label can make in terms of how people perceive the product ,and the price.

PS check the may rcme and all will be revealed.

TW2.

Edited By tom wright 2 on 06/04/2011 15:49:09

TW2 I would not want you to risk a libel suite but just naming the product and saying " it seems to be the same as" would help us all evalute the products. Perhaps the importer might reply & tell us that his product is better in some way and worth extra. ( service back up perhaps)
As I dont have the May RCME perhaps someone else will tell me!

Actually I cannot see any problem recommending stuff. If it is good say so, if it is lacking then a discrete comment that is factual but not libellous is appropriate.

Posted by tom wright 2 on 06/04/2011 15:44:02:

PS check the may rcme and all will be revealed.

Yes, but it is not what it says (it says made in Germany)

It looks absolutely identical to FlySky (the manufacturers, but re-badged under many names)

The 8 channel from the same company is what I have been using for 18 months now, have re-flashed them to different firmware, not much if anything they can't do now.

KC.
We are getting a bit off thread ,don't want Tim putting us in the naughty boys corner ! This thread has Principally been a discussion between the well informed who are also users of widely respected middle of the road and more sophisticated equipment,so i did not want to make an off thread issue about some budget gear, its was posted as"by the way"comment as i had just received my subscription copy of RCM&E and seen the review on the NEW! Jamara FCX6 which to me is identical to the f sky and also sold under other brand names such as HK.

TW2..

Thanks TW2

Well we could easily revert to the subject and discuss the advantages of FASST over FHSS. What use is S-bus system in normal aeromodelling? What is the advantage of S-FHSS? Is the S-FHSS High Speed Mode faster than FASST?

I would bet nobody here knows!

Posted by tom wright 2 on 06/04/2011 17:15:06:
Steve have you found yours reliable and good value for money?

TW2.

Absolutely, I bought them, and only used them on small planes, then about a year ago, got rid of 35MHZ and went onto the TH9Xs completely.

Te "B" version makes them as good as anything, before they were only as good as Spektrum

My feelings are probably best shown h e r e

I thought the original question had been answered very well already, as well as some confusion that I didn't see.

How much is "street cred" worth, if the average person is not going to use the advanced features that other TXs don't have a direct equivalent?

Hi KC.

Posted by kc on 06/04/2011 17:40:33:
Yes, TW2 that's my point! But I still want to know the answers to my questions to see if it's a case of the' KIng's New Clothes'.

I am always happy to chat with fellow modelers on this forum but only consider replies on demand ,if the member has a profile.

TW2.

Hi all

I agree with Steve I would be certainly happy to use such a buget system on a simple plane or park flyer.

I want a replacement for my Futaba 35Mhz system and feel that 2.4 Ghz Futaba is the way to go because of personal preferances.

I would like to have a good size model memory and with the cheaper price for the rx's the T6J seems to be winning, unfortunately it is as yet unproven. Even though my planes are not mega expensive turbine types the Cirrus Moth took 8 months to build and I would not trust it to a "buget" system, I would also hate the FHSS system to give up the ghost with my bipe stooging around aloft.

The next question is will the FASST system have a long life or will it go the way of the Beta-max video recorder?

I repeat .....DOH!!!!!!!!!!

Roger

Posted by Roger 2 on 07/04/2011 00:21:48:
Hi all

I agree with Steve I would be certainly happy to use such a buget system on a simple plane or park flyer.

I want a replacement for my Futaba 35Mhz system and feel that 2.4 Ghz Futaba is the way to go because of personal preferances.

I would like to have a good size model memory and with the cheaper price for the rx's the T6J seems to be winning, unfortunately it is as yet unproven. Even though my planes are not mega expensive turbine types the Cirrus Moth took 8 months to build and I would not trust it to a "buget" system, I would also hate the FHSS system to give up the ghost with my bipe stooging around aloft.

The next question is will the FASST system have a long life or will it go the way of the Beta-max video recorder?

I repeat .....DOH!!!!!!!!!!

Roger

I feel I can trust my budget system, firstly because it has been proven and used by some people in competition, secondly because I know what it is made of:-

Plastic case, very comfortable and seems to be of good quality
Pots, the same pots as used in an expensive "big name", switches, same as in other makes.
CPU, a common American processor, proven in all kinds of applications.
TX module and receiver, proven to have good range and reliability, signals look as good as any other on an SA
Firmware, ongoing development, used tried and tested by many, all of above average expertise in electronics in the modelling world.

Search for ER9X and you will see the features. (features given are the basic blocks, just because a feature of another TX is not listed doesn't mean it can't do it)

I think the best way to look at S bus is to compare it to a car. A normal car has many wires to the rear, stop lights, LH indicator, RH indicator, reverse light, side lights, fog light, boot light. New cars have/will have one wire. (remembering that the car body carries the negative).

Speed, makes no difference to the average flyer, why worry about milliseconds when the servo takes tenths of seconds to travel?

Sorry TW2 my lack of a new paragraph caused the misunderstanding!
My meaning was to both discuss the budget systems ( as the original message indicated ) and also to find out the practical uses ( if any ) of s-bus, S-FHSS etc.

The answer to Rogers problem is if you need to buy now buy the 6EX 2.4 with sufficient Rx or to wait until the T6J is well proven by others. A full set with 2 spare Rx ( total 3 ) would seem to cost exactly the same with either model ......at the moment.

FASST would seem to have more in common with the Blueray or HD situation than Betamax. That is to say it's more expensive but can you see the difference and is it worth the higher price? Obsolescence is the name of the game now everyone has one of everything already and its a throw away society. The trick is to choose the classic stuff that lasts longest not the one hit wonders.

KC.
Your last post seems to be a fair summary of the main points raised by roger and others.
My input was centered on the silly price differential between two suppliers of what appears to be the same equipment,and the practical and financial advantages that can result from the use of carefully selected gear that is substantially cheaper than the popular main stream names that you regard as budget priced.
I would be pleased to relate my views and experience with the under £50 SETS if anyone has questions ,although it is a bit off thread.

TW2.

Hi All

Well I have at last made my decision at last and purchased the 2.4 Ghz 6EX FASST system. The FASST system from what I have read does appear to be the Rolls Royce
and the FHSS, a system with out the same redundancy built into it.

Yesterday at the field my beloved Moth decided to throw a "wobbler" with the surfaces jittering , (this was whilst doing a range test before flying!).

Last week flying I had a glitch but all went fine with no reoccurance so thought little of it.

So I have " gon an' bin an' dunnit", I can always use the "Futaba" look-alike cheap FASST rx's for other park flyer types, and real ones for my big gliders.

Thanks for everyones input, it has been appreciated .

Cheers

Roger

Replacing the Tx & Rx with new 2.4 stuff seems a good idea but the glitch might well have been due to dud cell in the Rx battery or some other problem that might not be cured by replacing the Rx itself.
Best to find the cause before replacing the Rx! Switch harness, aerial routed near servos, metal to metal contact, greasy Tx aerial, battery wire partially severed due to strain, corroded servo extension plugs etc might all be areas to look at.
Just to illustrate one of these causes, see this photo of a nicad made without a strain relief sleeve which nearly fractured right through!     The pack  was made by a well known supplier ( you can see the name ) and was presumably a Friday afternoon product. 
The model flew for a year or so but eventually was saved by luck and keen eyesight at pre flight checks.

Edited By kc on 12/04/2011 11:02:58

I am surprised that Futaba can register FHSS as a trade mark, particularly that so many other manufacturers etc. also use the term.

Personally I could not care less if my equipment uses a Bus system as long as it works effectively. It is reminiscent of the 70's when people could wax lyrical at the bar at the local pub, of the frequency response of their woofers and all the other gobbledy gook of their Hi-Fi.

I do agree that there is a lack of clarity of equipment compatibility, yet manufactures etc. have always liked it like that. Even in the 35 days, when it was not obvious if alternative Rx, servos, crystal etc. could be used.

I am disappointed that Futaba have done what they have done, it surely would have been better to have supported one system, in development, manufacturing process,distribution etc., as it should keep cost down. Manufacturers seem to want to lock us into their equipment., for better or worse

Like others I use Orange Fast Rx with my Futaba and they seem as good as my 6017 Rx's. I will continue with my 6EX system, but I am apprehensive for the future.

As for BEB's explanation I just accept it as true.

Hi KC

I agree with all you say, but the Cirrus Moth has only been completed a couple of months. This meant that the battery/harness/ servos were all new. The Rx was one I have used in a glider and was well tested.

I had hit problems in the past with the transmitter with a noisy pot on the engine channel, it wasn't noticeable using I/C but it gave a problem sometimes using electric motors cos the cut off point would change.

That was one of the reasons to look at a new system, although it seemed to have "gone away ".
I also think that our field is at times slightly suspect on 35Mhz, we had a spate of shoot downs a while ago.

Roger