Whats the difference between FHSS and FASST?

kc

This thread has provided the answer kc and, when you stop to think - an accident due to incompatible 2.4 gear isn't going to happen because the gear simply won't operate in the first place.

The major cause of crashes (you refer to above) remains battery failure and pilot error, granted that flying the wrong model memory has its fair share too.....although there's nothing stopping you doing that on 35MHz.

I don't see the confusion in the writing, the only place I see it is on the Futaba combined with the writing 2.4GHz and a flash which seems to be some kind of logo/trademark, and on the Saturn one inn plain text which just seems to state what kind of transmission it uses..

I also note they both have black cases with handles on top, but I don't see any significance in that either.

If they both had the "2.4GHZ FHSS" logo on, but weren't campatible, then I would be confused.

To me it is less confusing that which is the indicator stalk and which is the wiper stalk on a car

Posted by Ultymate on 28/03/2011 12:16:43:
Since when does coming from Ripmax have anything to do with quality at the end of the day they are just "middlemen/importers". As for wrong memory selection that's down to a "numpty " on the sticks, I certainly can't afford nor would I want to have a T/X for each model.
Ultimate I think KC meant to say RX for each model.

TW2.

Has it provided the answer? I think the question originally was whats the difference between FHSS and FASST.

What does FASST do that the Futaba FHSS does not? I mean in actual  aeromodelling.practice

No, I did mean Tx.  That is to say instead of  buying an expensive Tx with many memories I have always used a seperate basic Tx for each model.  Basic but high quality such as Futaba  If my  Tx& Rx  ever shows any slight glitch ( once in 25 years with Futaba ) then it's replaced. Never repaired.  Also replaced regularly for reliability and new batteries, switch harness etc. 
A Tx is not male jewellery it's strictly functional!.

Edited By kc on 28/03/2011 14:06:31

Short answer KC to the question exactly as you frame it, is....

There is no difference.

Becuase FASST is a form of FHSS!

Now if you are asking what is the difference between FHSS (Trade Mark of Futaba) and FASST (Trade mark of Futaba) I think I answered that in one of the first posts. FASST is faster, has more sophisticated error checking, has better channel swoping decision algorithms, has better noise rejection systems, is interfaceable with S-bus, has virtual channels (up to 14 now), can run in two different "latency modes", can cope with a wider variety of control configurations, has inbuilt programming for features such as aileron diff etc. and probably a great many other advanced features I fon't even know about - plus more planned, The FHSS (Trade of Futaba) system doesn't have most of these features.

FHSS (Trade Mark of Futaba) does not talk to FASST - despite the fact that they are both FHSS (not trade mark of Futaba)!

As for your point that I cannot know that FHSS (Trade of Futaba) is not compatable with Saturn FHSS (Trade of of Saturn). Well youu're right - I don't know in the sense that say I know my address. But similarly I don't know that the passenger door off a Ford Ka doesn't fit my Volvo V70 - but I'm 99.999999999% sure it doesn't!

BEB

PS I also don't know that FHSS is a trade mark of either Futaba or Saturn - but it is a handy shorthand to try to make it clear when I am speaking of Futaba's "FHSS" Tx and Saturn's "FHSS" Tx and to distinguish them from generic FHSS the communication protocol.

BEB,
As nobody here knows who makes Saturn you cannot say that their FHSS is not compatible with Futaba ......it might be just badge engineering. The fact that Futaba offer a S-FHSS system as well as a FHSS range suggest something is afoot. Y ou may be right it's not compatible , you may be wrong. 
Your automotive comparison is a poor example because you dont actually know what Ka parts do fit your Volvo! They are the same manufacturer and all motor manufacturers use the same component suppliers to some extent. Some parts will be interchangeable but clearly not the doors unless you know someone who is a skilled custom car builder!  

To get back to the subject. The whole thing started when I saw that for the same price of a Futaba 6EX 2.4 combo you can now buy a T6J combo with 15 memories rather than 10. But its a different system FHSS instead of FASST. Which is the better buy? Does this mean if you buy a 6EX the price of extra Rx will be at a premium price because they are driving FASST upmarket?
At the moment the 6EX 2.4 is ( one of ) the workhorses of club flying, but driving the already high Rx price up if FASST becomes a premium system will mean disappointment for many users. If there is no practical advantage in FASST then maybe the new T6J is the one we should recommend to newcomers. However there are already compatible FASST Rx from other makers, so if the FHSS system on the T6J is unique then perhaps it's better to stick to FASST!

Edited By kc on 28/03/2011 17:49:51

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 28/03/2011 18:41:36:
I give up!

BEB
BEB........dont give up-you are the man...i've been quite impressed with your reply's on this thread.......certainly helped me in my understanding of the new 'futaba' gear....

ken anderson ne.1.(BEB...... fan club section).

BEB=the new 'timbo' .... .

Posted by kc on 28/03/2011 13:47:04:
Has it provided the answer? I think the question originally was whats the difference between FHSS and FASST.

What does FASST do that the Futaba FHSS does not? I mean in actual aeromodelling.practice

No, I did mean Tx. That is to say instead of buying an expensive Tx with many memories I have always used a seperate basic Tx for each model. Basic but high quality such as Futaba If my Tx& Rx ever shows any slight glitch ( once in 25 years with Futaba ) then it's replaced. Never repaired. Also replaced regularly for reliability and new batteries, switch harness etc.
A Tx is not male jewellery it's strictly functional!.

Edited By kc on 28/03/2011 14:06:31

Sorry KC you did mean TX.......I certainly admire your maintenance philosophy,and approach to keeping it simple ,but in my case that would involve owning more than forty transmitters which would certainly complicate my activities ,but as far as i am concerned any approach that works cant be wrong.

TW2.

Well gentlemen....!!!!!!

I have come to the position of needing a new tx... ok change that to wanting a new tx. I am a Futaba "dyed in the wool user ". I had decided on the same as I use; 6EXP but 3.4 Ghz.
I saw the adverts for the T6J system and thought "thats for me" . After reading through all of these posts my feelings are Quote ...............DOH!.!!!!!
I am a retired head of a physics dept and I am confused and I am supposed to have some technical know how.
Bring back 27 Mhz .......brown I was on.

Cheers Roger

Hello TW2

From the adverts in the RCM&E the 6EXP style Futaba system comes with either a 2.4Ghz FASST tx module or an old type 35Mhz one.

I had decided to buy the 2.4Ghz FASST system, then along came the Ripmax New Items 2011 magazine with the Futaba T6J system using the FHSS and S-FHSS modes.
This is where I think this post has evolved from and also my indecision on which to buy.

When such abreviations are used it tends to rather confuse people, only the enlightened ones, understand the new language. Unfortunately all areas have this problem, mine (physics) extending to even the mechanics in the automotive world.

Cheers
Roger

Well, if you have no other 2.4 Futaba gear then you are free to choose 6EX or T6J because you dont neeed to worry about it being compatible with your existing gear. It could be, as many expect, that this new FHSS is a way of driving the FASST Rx up in price relevent to FHSS. We shall see.
So the 6EX already uses the more expensive Rx & may prove to be even more expensive in future. So your choice really depends on how many spare Rx you will want in future. Also the T6J has more memories. Maybe other features may appeal to you too. Nobody seems to say that the FASST system is any better AT BASIC or NORMAL FLYING just it has potential for fancy S-bus systems etc whatever use that is. (much more expensive servos etc I think )
So I suggest the T6j ( even though I own a 6EX 2.4 ) but it has to be said that the 6EX 2.4 is the workhorse of club flying now. The choice is yours and pretty much 50 / 50. Is the T6J actually in stock? Check the prices with 'nicads' & charger ( there is a newer charger for NiMH ) .Maybe wait a month or two to see how the price goes or see if the 6EX disappears completely from sale.

Edited By kc on 06/04/2011 10:54:00

Edited By kc on 06/04/2011 10:57:55

One further thing if you have older Futaba Tx Both the 6EX and T6J have one rate switch which does elevator & ailerons unlike older Tx which had seperate switches. Not a problem in use but not as good as Spektrum.

Just to clarify things the 6EX does not use an interchangeable module for 35 or 2.4 its either built as one or the other.

Edited By kc on 06/04/2011 11:25:39

Roger.
Would it be fair to say that your decision to look at new gear is based on a desire to move from 35 MHz to 2.4 GHz ?
If so if are you currently flying ic or ep or a mix of both ? Are you a prolific builder / flyer ? and do you fly average four function sports ,or more sophisticated models?
Sorry about all the questions but i think the buying decision should involve many factors ,in order to avoid unnecessary complex equipment. I think most would agree that the Futaba FASST system is well proven and respected by the majority .

TW2.

KC, while I agree FASST is more expensive, I see no indications or evidence that it will become more expensive still? In fact as integration and manufacturing costs generally decrease in the electronics industry I would have said if there a change it would be further reductions in the price of both systems - although I acknowledge that the differential between them will remain.

The reason no one seems able to tell what, benefits FASST offers the "average flier" over FHSS is that I for one haven't seen the detailled spec of the FHSS systems yet.

But I would agree with your general point - for a club flier who only wants a Futaba 2.4 system with basic reliable functionality the FHSS systems may very well be the way to go. I also agree that the long term future of the 2.4 6EX might be in question.

BEB

Hi all

The decision to go to 2.4Ghz is a multi faceted one, the existing tx is getting tired, it has had a lot of use. I fly a mix of IC and EP, I am into older style planes, bipes and the like, the latest being a DB Cirrus Moth. I love the sounds of a four stroke and the smell of diesel, yeh! I know I'm a crinkley

We spend around 3 months a year abroad (Europe) and because I am banned from having dirty smelly planes in the motorhome I take an electric glider. Here the 2.4 Ghz would be an advantage not having to use continental frequencies.

I am an average flyer having started in the 70's, non of my planes need faster than fast servo's and lots of channels, 6 is more than enough. But the garage does seem to have a lot of big "moths " hanging up in it and the existing 6EXP is full. Hence my indecision over FASST or the FHSS systems

Cheers

Roger

Roger

With the pace of change I suspect that buying in to any particular technology for the long term is becoming a thing of the past. We've already seen JR and Spektrum changing their systems (with a measure of compatibility in some areas) and it remains to be seen whether these Futaba systems will have any (probably not as I can find no mention of such). Graupner have abandoned their first technology entirely.

A possible consideration is the availability of 3rd party receivers - currently available for (at least) DSM2 and FASST so the price of receivers may not be an over-riding concern if you're happy to take a chance on non-original equipment manufacturer's gear.

Edited By Martin Harris on 06/04/2011 14:18:33

Just as a point of interest the 2.4 full range super cheap(£30) six chan tx rx combo i have often praised for its utter reliability has just appeared under a popular brand name in the uk for a fraction under £70 , it does occur to me if you make an informed choice you could save loads of cash.Under this brand name rx that can be purchased for under £10 are priced at £28!
For most of my everyday flying i am not to concerned about  the ramifications discussed on this thread as i favour the reliable and simple  option that can also be very economical ,but does not have the," look ive paid loads of money badge",and the distant look that suggests some don't really understand what all the bells and whistles do anyway.

TW2.

Edited By tom wright 2 on 06/04/2011 15:34:51