Telemetry - do you use it? What do you think of it?

Posted by phil alvirez on 11/06/2018 20:34:56:

i think i have to be more specific. to start, i need yo learn how to get vario (tones) on lets say switch 3. if any1 has a video, great. if not, step by step can do.

thanks.

if you search YouTube, there will be a video of just about any Taranis programming problem you could possibly imagine:

Edited By andyh on 11/06/2018 22:16:32

I forgot to mention how useful telemetry can be for finding a lost model - I've seen it (and used it myself blush) working very successfully. I was unable to get out of a flat spin and ended up in a field of Maize out of sight of the flight line due to a small escarpment at the end of our field. I took the transmitter with me, rotated the transmitter with my body between it and the model until the signal was at its lowest and took a line directly behind me and literally walked straight through the 8 foot standing corn stopping once or twice to re-check (when close I swapped to range check) until I walked right up to the model - only seeing it when within the last couple of feet.

I too use jeti and another supporter of the RC Thoughts website. I use the Current meters, and Varios, and have 4 channel temperature sensor in a 1/4 scale cowl.

Each can be made for a few pounds, and following the instructions on the site its so easy.

Might have a go at a GPS sensor next.

I have flown for years (Decades!) without telemetry, but now I have it I can't imagine myself flying without.

The Jeti system also has full logging, and I log and check every new model for the first few flights to monitor the Rx installation.

Andy

i think i have to be more specific. to start, i need yo learn how to get vario (tones) on lets say switch 3. if any1 has a video, great. if not, step by step can do.

thanks.

Hi Phil

1 press scroll

2 press telemetri

3 auto config

4 press vario 2 times

My set up is:

display act

report delay 1/4 sec

lift report + 0,2 sec

sink report -5 .0 sec (in that way the you don't have the sink sound all the time)

switch ( you just move the one you want)

and make one of the 0 or 1 black

Fly

Good luck

Soren

I use Telemetry on my Futaba 14SG. The only function I ever use it for is for battery testing etc, but I find that extremely useful and do a good pre-flight voltage check. I also bought the Futaba GPS unit thinking it might help me find my plane in case o also land in the farmers crop. Unfortunately I have found the Futaba GPS very difficult to use. I set it up ok but it seems that you have to zero it every flight. It comes with very limited instructions (zero)on practical usage! and it just has a few set up notes. If you love electronics it’s probably a useful device for me it’s just a toy that’s been left in the flight box until I get time to take an electronic navigation degree😉

Posted by Speedster on 12/06/2018 14:56:06:

thanks.

Hi Phil

1 press scroll

2 press telemetri

3 auto config

4 press vario 2 times

My set up is:

display act

report delay 1/4 sec

lift report + 0,2 sec

sink report -5 .0 sec (in that way the you don't have the sink sound all the time)

switch ( you just move the one you want)

and make one of the 0 or 1 black

Fly

Good luck

Soren

thanks a lot. will try at once and get back to confirm it worked for me. i think it will.

this is the kind of help that have been unable to get from horizon or their'experts' all around.

Posted by phil alvirez on 12/06/2018 17:25:29:

now, if that is you who is flying the plane, could you provide details on it? just to make sure: the radio is the DX6G3, right? and the receiver? motor? battery? esc? prop?

thanks.

DX9/ Ar8000+ TM1000 and vario gauge, Arthobby Silent 3,4 m, ? Mega motor + folding prop, 40 amp esc, 1800 3 cell batt.

Soren

Posted by phil alvirez on 12/06/2018 19:46:01:

speedster:

about the video on the glider: is it by you? if so, could you please provide all the data on it?

same as at the other post: radio, receiver, esc, battery, motor,

thanks

Yes it's my glider

The glider is a:

Arthobby Silent 3,4 meter

**LINK**

And:

DX9/ Ar8000+ TM1000 and vario gauge, Mega motor (can't remember the number) and folding prop, 40 amp esc, 1800 3 cell batt.

Soren

Edited By Speedster on 12/06/2018 21:08:14

A friend put me onto the Unisense E 3rd party sensor package. You can find the details here. If the page loads in German then I've found right click and select translate turns it into English. The package provides height, vario, as well as flight pack volts, amps, wattage, motor rpm. There is an extensive setup possible using a USB connection to a PC once you have downloaded the control programme from the site. The product can be set up in the settings function to operate with a wide range of radio equipment. I use JR DMSS and it works fine for me. Worth a look as it costs Euro 65.90 which would probably only get you one sensor from the JR catalogue!

Another vote for the UniSens-E - also works with Jeti.

Their UniLog 2 also works with several brands as well if you want to measure higher currents (up to 400A). With the UniLog, as well as telemetry, you also get more detail at the higher on board logging rate of 20Hz.

Dick

Edited By Dickw on 13/06/2018 13:03:03

Soren: thank you for your help.

about your instructions on vario/altitude: tried, and have some questions:

1-the lift report shows ft/s and not sec

2-same for sink. i think this is what you meant, right?

3-when checking the screen for altitude and the other for vario, both read 'altitude'

but i hear nothing about vario. i expected to hear tones.

4-about the switch for vario: 1 position is for... tones?

5-and the other for...(i would like to hear altitude)

thanks again for your help.

regards.

Posted by phil alvirez on 13/06/2018 15:02:40:

Soren: thank you for your help.

about your instructions on vario/altitude: tried, and have some questions:

1-the lift report shows ft/s and not sec

2-same for sink. i think this is what you meant, right?

3-when checking the screen for altitude and the other for vario, both read 'altitude'

but i hear nothing about vario. i expected to hear tones.

4-about the switch for vario: 1 position is for... tones?

5-and the other for...(i would like to hear altitude)

thanks again for your help.

regards.

You can switch of the tones on vario but not the altitude announcement when first set.

And you must move the glider up to get the tone, Normally just wave it up and down should do it.