Telemetry - do you use it? What do you think of it?

I was lucky enough to need a new TX when the Taranis came out.

Primarily flying power glider, I find signal strength, LiPo monitoring, Vario sound feedback, height reports and GPS are all important to me, not just nice to have. And fortunately, I've yet to need to review the ("black box" style) logging, after an unexplained crash. (How long before we can also have a pilot voice record I wonder? That could make for interesting replay! SD card space could currently be a problem though)

On my last slope outing, I used the RSSI signal strength reading three times, when the wind dropped and my glider did unscheduled landings downslope, in long bracken. I've now spent several hours on group searches of that hill for models with no tracking ability. A fantastic facility for glider flyers I'd say.

Back on the flat field gliding, I have the Tx set to give me a audio distance reading, when close to a neighbour's house, to hopefully avoid any negative feedback from them☺ (Though I do need faster GPS readings for it to be fully effective)

Looking forward. I wonder how long before we have a HUD display (Bluetooth based?) along the lines of "Google Glass"? So we are less reliant on the slightly antisocial Tx audio? (The built in camera for recording flights might be useful sometimes too...)

Ray

Interesting points Mike, Martin

I see what you mean about the servo exhibiting different electrical loads when moving or holding a control surface but I Imagine clever software within such a combined servo/sensing device could manage the task.

I keep thinking about the "equal and opposite" rule, when a servo is live but holding a neutral position if you push the arm then I imagine the work the servo has to do is proportional to your efforts to push it.

I'm sure there must be applications in robotics where this "compliance" problem has already been solved.

I'll put my predicting head on and say it would be an available feature within my modelling lifetime along with all sorts of fantastic new tricks.

Posted by Devcon1 on 08/09/2017 20:08:11:

A prediction but maybe a far off dream.

I'm no techspert but I cant see any reason why we shouldn't be seeing force feedback stick telemetry at some stage.

Translating servo loads into force feedback stick units via telemetry seems very plausible to me even with current technology.

Imagine feeling the pull on the stick as you progress through a loop or the force on the rudder as you do a Lomcovak.

One day. ( Also stick shakers

You know this already exists guys in " fly by wire " full size aircraft, but the designers have a worldwide need, and an almost unlimited budget.

Using " logic " chips alone, this feedback could be resolved to stick shakers, and a load feeling on the Tx sticks,

And the lads In Universities and Robot Wars, do this to some degree already. They have the study and research time and some budget.

As Devcon says, this will arrive but the boffs have to balance a return on their investment.

Expensive at the moment but telemetry servos already exist.

Quote:-

Hacker Ditex TD0606M Telemetry HV Servo a new product from Hacker Brushless Motors with metal case and coreless motor, featuring telemetry feedback of position, load and current draw.
The TD0606M is our current smallest servo in the DITEX-series. This allrounder in the Micro Class has all outstanding, innovative features of hacker DITEX servos.

• 8 months later...

telemetry with voice-but no comprehensive manual

there is now voice with telemetry so you dont have to take your eyes away from the model.

i got a DX6G3 (horizon) that could be used with a lemon 0052 receiver with telemetry (yes, the brand is "lemon" so i can hear alarms of low volts at the battery model, and other data. (sounds great, isn't it?)

problem is, the manual does not explain exactly how to do this, and when contacting the threads that supposedly are to help, even the 'experts' from the company that nose in don't provide the exact details and talk you down for asking such basic questions. so it is that there are no instructions for the masses, just for experts.

the reason i came here is to see if there is someone that has this radio and perhaps can help me.

i understand that the radios on this series have the same program so anyone who owns a radio DXwhatever could be of help too.

regards.

Edited By phil alvirez on 09/06/2018 11:41:27

Apart from the inbuilt RSSI (Radio Signal Strength Indicator) telemetry that is part of many Frsky receivers (and fortunately not one I've needed except for range checking) I use 2 type of telemetry.

First is an altimeter module I have in my Phoenix 2k motor glider just for amusement. I occasionally climb as high as 200 metres if visibility is good before switching off the power and go thermal hunting but it's more often used at lower levels to see if I'm in any lift.

Second is current monitoring on electric models. I move the module from model to model for early flights to get an idea of the current at full throttle and hence ensure nothing in the drive train is being pushed beyond its specified limits.

I find they work well and are very easy to install. I use voice outputs so I don't need to rake my eyes off the model. I can also switch them off if they're getting too irritating either for me or others.

Geoff

I use Spektrum telemetry with alarms for receiver voltage and electric flight battery. You soon find weak flight batteries. Think that receiver battery voltage should be mandatory like fail safe. Nimh receiver batteries on power models have been the demise of many models.

Edited By JOHN MOSLEY 2 on 10/06/2018 06:45:29

Posted by cymaz on 09/06/2018 15:16:23:

Maybe we will all need telemetry soon as the aircraft screams past 400’

Now I am really seriously thinking of moving to FrSky and the altimeter module. Let’s see what the final outcome is for the new rules first. They may say if you already are using non telemetry then don’t change until you have to, ( similar to analog tachograph to digital change over). It maybe the case that every pilot has X months/ years to fit altimeters.

Chipping in as a Multiplex owner making (modest) use of telemetry.

Take a look at the SM Modellbau unit which can be used by various radios (Futaba, Spectrum, MPX, Jeti). A small unit that fits in line between your LiPo and ESC. Programable to announce, (or not!), Rx voltage, pack voltage, capacity, current, height/vario, temperature, remaining capacity and so on.

Meanwhile ... 400ft is surprisingly 'low' when folk have no previous measured indication of how high they are. I often, (whilst using ear piece monitoring of the telemetry output), ask my fellow club mates, 'How high am I?'. Just like the fisherman's tales of how large the catch that got away was, the answers are quite educational in how we all can misjudge!

FrSky Taranis X9D+ and Horus X10.

Electric assist thermal soaring

Fixed wing electric power

Quads

Mostly use the onboard RSSI ( signal strength ), Rx voltage, LiPo sensors and Altitude/Vario sensors.

Install, just treat like any other onboard electrical component

Posted by phil alvirez on 09/06/2018 11:40:20:

telemetry with voice-but no comprehensive manual

there is now voice with telemetry so you dont have to take your eyes away from the model.

i got a DX6G3 (horizon) that could be used with a lemon 0052 receiver with telemetry (yes, the brand is "lemon" so i can hear alarms of low volts at the battery model, and other data. (sounds great, isn't it?)

problem is, the manual does not explain exactly how to do this, and when contacting the threads that supposedly are to help, even the 'experts' from the company that nose in don't provide the exact details and talk you down for asking such basic questions. so it is that there are no instructions for the masses, just for experts.

the reason i came here is to see if there is someone that has this radio and perhaps can help me.

i understand that the radios on this series have the same program so anyone who owns a radio DXwhatever could be of help too.

regards.

Edited By phil alvirez on 09/06/2018 11:41:27

Just try the different screens and play

S

Posted by phil alvirez on 10/06/2018 17:54:49:

could you guys who use telemetry tell what products you use?

brands, models, $, whatever. how you install them...

thanks

I've been using telemetry (Jeti Duplex) since shortly after its launch in 2009. I saw the module system announced in RCM&E and its telemetry capabilities prompted me to move to 2.4 GHz after resisting the move from 35MHz for a year or so - an initial Futaba transmitter module, receiver and variometer were in the post from Puffin Models the next day! It's saved me from such nasties as in-flight battery failures and provided a great deal of useful info over the years.

I'm lucky enough to have come across a fellow owner (Tero Salminen, RC-Thoughts) who has designed a host of Arduino based sensors and have built many of them at negligible cost - @ a fiver a go! Comparative tests of his altimeters (since updated to variometers) with commercial altimeters/variometers have been very favourable. Altimeters are looking to become a "must have" with threatened legislation on the horizon.

The ability to connect a current sensor on new models is far better than hoping a Wattmeter (the one I owned was hopelessly inaccurate anyway) will give something near representative results on static testing. I can fly with confidence using "fuel gauge" flight battery monitoring and land when my LiPos have delivered a known amount of energy.

If you fly jets, fuel flow telemetry must be extremely comforting.

Airspeed measurement is probably more of a nice to have providing interesting if not so essential data.

I even managed to build a GPS sensor for a little more than the other sensors - very handy for checking distances flown from the site and would be very handy with signal quality data should interference problems be suspected.

I suspect there will be other clever people out there developing sensors such as Tero's for different systems so cost should not necessarily be a barrier to telemetry capability if you can wave a soldering iron to reasonable effect. Although my choice of system needed a considerable capital investment, many cheaper alternatives are available so cost is becoming much less of a barrier. Quite frankly, flying without telemetry these days would feel like turning up at the field without my trousers!

Edited By Martin Harris on 11/06/2018 20:38:20

The best use for telemetry IMHO is for checking signal strength. I never used to use telemetry when flying fixed wing but since moving to quads (and having my quad go failsafe 200m above a volcano- thankfully long dormant) I tend to use it quite a lot.

The annoying thing was that in my "volcano" flight I hadn't set any telemetry alarms! After it fell from the sky I checked the tx and it was showing all kind of signal issues!!! Had I known....

Of course recently I worked out how to get signal strength via the OSD on my quadcopter so it's somewhat less important. My main use nowadays for telemetry therefore is for pack voltage. On a punch out or fast run I'm trying to keep up with the quad and checking voltages takes a back seat- the vibe+tone lets me know volts are getting a bit sketchy.....