Hornet will sting again

Tim Mackey

Following my rather disastrous 3 in one day session a week or two back, obviously the PC9 was a total write off, and the tiger moth too. However, I have spent a few days working on the F18C Hornet ( seen here amongst the various bits of wreckage on the day ) and its looking very repairable.

Plenty of scars from the trees, both wings broken off - one completely detached, and one tailplane half detached too. But all the mechanicals and electronics survived, so here's the results so far. I had plenty of bits of EPS and also some denser orange foam lying around, so cut new larger but neater chunks out of the airframe damaged area, and grafted in some new. Lots of shaving, sanding and spackling, followed by a lightweight glasscloth and 3 coats of Poly-C and its almost ready for some painting. Yet another example of what can be done with sufficient enthusiasm, and little patience and work. It never fails to amaze me - some of the perfectly re-buildable stuff that some folk throw away claiming its a write off.

Advert

Well done Tim, I'd sign her off as air worthy

What colour scheme are you going for this time, Blue Angels wasn't so lucky, how about

Still keeps some blue in there for recognition/orientation but looks very nice

Or better still

An F-18 Aggressor 

Edited By James40 on 30/03/2011 16:14:22

Well done, Tim - reminds me of my P-38 rebuild a couple of years ago! I remember that it looked so much more repairable a couple of days after the crash and, as you say, a bit of patience and enthusiasm, together with a certain amount of determination, can really pay dividends

Pete

ps I have another P-38 tucked away - just needs to be fitted into the schedule..........

Well done Tim, looks as good as new

Well done Tim; understand the patience involved and well worth it. My Hangar 9 P40 has been rebuilt several times due to challenges with hand launching, torque etc. The retractables arent the strongest thus it needs a cricket crease or similar to take off (and it aint the cricket season...).

She flies again. Had good day at the field today, several flights of everything taken - and all returned in the same condition this time.

Alienator, Hornet, and the touchy little devil that is the Mig21 Fishbed.

Thanks to John Bowman for this cracking shot of the F18 - just to show that she did indeed fly again.

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 08/04/2011 21:49:21

oooo - thats a great pic Phil - I'll have to get photoshopping
Couple more, then I'll leave ya alone.
John on camera again of course - and my mate Jeremy on launch duty.

Just by way of interest to anyone considering these sort of machines - note the launch is LEVEL - please dont let anyone try and launch these type of jets ( low static thrust - yet high flight speed ) if they are inclined to chuck it upwards - they will stall, and also need to be allowed to get on step before you apply elevator.