Spitfire Choices

James40

I've been thinking of purchasing a Spitfire for a long while now, heck don't we all, but I'm struggling to decide on which kit to go for and what size.

My criteria is; it has to be electric, it has to fit in the boot of a VW Golf estate and it doesn't want to be a nightmare to fly so no exact scale kits.

My short list is:

seagull seafire although I'm struggling to find info on this one and dislike the glossy finish, nothing that some dull coat can't sort though.

Can anyone think of any other good ones or recommend any of the above?

Edited By James40 on 10/04/2011 15:05:07

Advert

Again the Hangar 9 looks far too glossy for a war bird although it could be dulled down I guess?

The YT does look good, is YT and CMP related, they look very similar kits?

To be honest, I'm not bothered about size, if it's a nice flying model then really that's all that counts although the larger planes always seem to fly nicely. I was limited to smaller scale models due to there being no clubs in my area but now I've got a regular flying patch size is no longer a problem, although I do have to carry the model 550yds from the lay-by to the bit of runway I've cleared so I'm guessing my limit will be about a 70" wing?

My cleared, de-weeded flying area is in the turning point at the very North end of the runway, I park where the road intercepts the runway at the middle.

I've cleared the center two concrete strips, the ones that look the cleanest on this picture, it's a lovely flying site with the old ATC tower behind me. 

That Spitfire looks nice Tim, what span are we looking at there? I'll do some reading on here and see what people say.

David, no limit to the size, amount of Li-Po's, but weight will become an issue at some point and I'd like half decent endurance, I don't want a big old bird that will fly for 2 minutes, so a nice balance between the two.

Thanks for all the advice so far guys, it seems the YT is a popular choice, I've heard they are nice flying models but are there many electric versions out there?

Edited By James40 on 10/04/2011 20:45:59

The Alfa Spitfire is on the small side (it will fit in your boot rigged) but it has very scale lines and is a great, viceless flyer. I can get almost 20 minutes flying out of it if I'm careful with the throttle.

Mine is fitted with the Alfa retracts which were quite fiddly to set up but worth the trouble. You can clip the wings if you like as short tips are provided.

GB

Well I guess I could be contraversial and say the Kyosho 90 sized Spit. Not as accurate as the YT by a long stretch, but a little less delicate perhaps?

Having said that Bob Partington was flying a YT Spit for several seasons and it went really well electric.

Bob used an AXI 5330/24 197kv motor on 10S 5000 mAh cells in his. Not sure of the prop I am afraid.

Cheers
Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 10/04/2011 22:53:39

I have read that David and although it did start ringing alarm bells, the thread is dated 2008 so a good few years old and plenty of time for YT to fix any issues with the newer design (I would hope).

When you say go with Danny's suggestion, did you mean the Koysho or the YT with that running gear?

I have the kyosho 90 spitfire it fly's very well ,comes in nice and slow is very precise though the all scale aerobatics and looks really convincing in the air ,also it has a matt finish not a horrible shiny one.
i have a 26cc petrol in mine and is quite heavy but it carries the weight really well,the airframe is light and would suit a electric conversion and ive seen these fly well on youtube.

Hey, Danny, you don't know the meaning of contraversial mate! Now this is contraversial.......

A club mate of mine has the Kyosho 90 Spit. Its a nice model but he has had a lot of trouble with it in two areas:

1. I know this will bring the wrath of God down on me - but his view is that its not a particularly good flier. He's had at least 3-4 very hairy moments with it. Bear in mind this guy had 15 years in the RAF on fast jets, has about 25 years R/C modelling experience and is our club's chief instructor and examiner, so he's not exactly a newbie!

2. He's had a lot of problems with the undercart. Now OK our field is a bit "tussocky" IYKWIM , but I've never seen him put t down with anything less than his usual featherlight touch and yet he has broken the undercart on several occassions having to carry out a series of significant undercart repairs culliminating in some serious strengthening of the mounting plates.

So, I know this model is popular, and many people speak highly of it. But I can only report as I observe - here's a very experienced modeller, and an accomplished flier, having quite serious problems with the model.

Having said all that, I think he has overcome the problems associated with the undercarriage and flies the model fairly regularly. He still views it as quite a handful though. Can't comment personally as I haven't flown it myself - but I would respect his judgement.

BEB

Unfortunately I am talking from others experience as well, I have the first YT Hurricane (electric) so know that one fairly well. I also have a friend who has the YT Spitfire, old and new versions. Another friend has the Kyosho Spitfire. The YT spitfire flies really well, but the undercarriage is fairly weak (As with all ARTF's in my oppinion). The YT is flown by one of our resident aces and he enjoys it. The Kyosho on the other hand is flown by a less experienced modeller and he gets on fine with it...... So I really don't know what to say.

As for the YT build, what AlanC says is true, most of us build from experience and don't really reference the docs too much, and we also often bin the supplied horns etc. I hid many of the horns etc in mine. The YT is not really a beginners build, but there are loads of online builds to help somebody with little experience and a little nervous in ad-libbing an ARTF.

Of course if you want the best flying one of all, then there is no alternative, build a Brian Taylor Spitfire, he does a 69" and an 83"

Cheers
Danny

Danny, I unfortunately don't have the time to build from scratch, a builders ARTF is fine and I'm more than happy and able (I think) to put something like the YT together without any major headaches.
It's all down to how they fly really, I would put myself as an intermediate flyer although I've no idea how that scale works? I'm just going off the models I fly and the ratings RCM&E give them.
I own and have flown the Hangar 9 P-51 Bluenose, although I've not taken her up recently but that's soon set to change, and that's a 12lb model so similar 'ish' wing loading, plus the Spitfire has a nicer wing so should be a more pleasant experience.

So the short list is Koysho or YT, I may pop up to YT tomorrow and see if I can have a look at their kit.
Not sure where I can view an Koysho Spit though?

If David is looking in, here is perhaps the basis of a comparison article, which Spitfire, I even have a title for it, "Don't just stand there, get one up.....but er, which one?????"

The YT will come out closer to 14 lbs, the Kyosho I reckon much lighter. I would get a Kyosho as a very nice hack, the YT deserves some time and effort to make it look really nice, mine took a year to finish the way I wanted it.

At the end of the day I guess its looks and effort, the Kyosho at one end of the scale and the YT at the other, It does sound like they both fly well (Apart from BEB's mate's experience that is)

I hope you do a build online, it will be fun to see

Cheers
Danny