At Pushing 45 I'm To Old To Climb Trees

A little adventure that took place today.
I decided at 7o'clock this evening to pop down the local football fields to have a blast with my Rouge Bipe, I wish I had not bothered because a tree jumped out at my model and decided to make a grab for it!!!
It was approx 3 miles up the tree ( maybe that is exaggerated slightly ) but there was no way I was going to loose my beloved, so my buddy said he had a rope in his car and he could lasso the branch (loooong rope) which he failed miserably .So, I decided I was going to climb the tree, my first problem was that the first branch was 10 feet up, so picture the scene, I'm 17 stone and climbed onto my mates shoulders to get a grip of the first branch - his knees wobbled but we did it.I then continued to climb the tree to within 15 feet or so of the model, affixed the rope to a branch and my mate pulled like a trogan swinging the branch till the model fell.
Next problem, I'm stuck 3 miles up the damned tree with about 20 kids pointing and laughing.Shear determination and the fact I'm supposed to be going away tomorrow got me to tera ferma. The model was in 2 pieces and one half landed in a nettle bush! My legs were covered in spiky things but I got it.
Damage was limited to just the top wings separating from the bottom and a few tears in the covering so easy repair.
Moral of this , Watch out for the thieving trees!
Phil

Advert

Lol, well done Phil

If anyone has an irretrievable model its worth checking tree surgeons in yellow pages etc. A couple of our members had cause to do that a while ago and were amazed at how reasonable the charges were. Those guys (obviously) have all the gear to get up there safely and quickly, and model "rescue" is a quick and cheap job for them, compared with their usual chopping, trimming, disposal of branches etc

Hi Phil.
A mate of mine got disoriented while flying a Rainbow (they don't get easier than that) but if there is a way to crash such a thing he will know a way and he did 30ft up a tree ,he is 67 so he said" your younger than me can you climb up and get it? " so I did i am 65.............

TW2.

Reminds me of an incident from my youth.

I was a member of the Regents Park MFC and we used to fly on Hampstead Heath. This was back in 54.

One Sunday one of the members got his rubber powered model stuck up a tree. We were all standing there wondering how we were going to get it down.

Suddenly an Indian gentleman in a suit pushed though us, looked up and then climbed the tree and recovered the model, climbed down, handed it to the owner and departed.

Edited By Peter Miller on 22/04/2011 07:53:55

I live in France and was trying to self-teach on an Easy Glider at our Club strip.

I am the only Mode 2 flyer here and after struggling for a few circuits the President (VERY French, full of himself etc.) grabbed the transmitter and said he would fly Mode 2 - for the first time it seemed - and sort out the CofG which he said was miles off.

Off he went for a very wobbly circuit and planted the EG on top of a very tall pine tree. When the laughter and jeers subsided we all stood and watched as he attempted to save face by climbing up and getting it down. At 120 Kilos (18 stone or so) he had a struggle but top marks - he stuck with it and I am still flying the EG now.

Oh - and I am 67 and never have to do any climbing these days as the Frenchies insist that they do the bus. for me.

Funny lot - but I love them.

A while back someone got a model stuck in a tree at our club. We all stood around as one member who had one of these telescopic poles attempted to jiggle it free. No joy - it was snagged on some fine branches.. Then clever dick here suggested "I know, take my neck strap, clip it to the ring on the end of the pole, hook it round the model and pull".....

Yeap, 5 mins later we had a model and my neckstrap stuck up a tree!

BEB