RCM&E June 2011 Issue

Hugh Coleman

Advert

On reflection, the trolley article is not really appropriate to the the RCM&E mag.

I am not sure that Biggles argument works either. If I can lift such a device out of my car, I would be very surprised I could not carry a sensibly equipped field box. If on the other hand my car is equipped to carry and of load such a device, i suspect that a wheel chair is required by the person. How many fields are suitable for a wheel chair? It would seem that a hill is no place for either a wheel chair or the trolley, nor would many flat fields be suitable.

I do not think that we should be encouraged to be sedentary, a little exercise is good for all of us. I found recently that when press ganged into a 5 a side football match, to make up the numbers, I rather let the team down, due to my lack of fitness. I told my son-in -law ( a doctor) that I do not think that I would play again and why. His response was you need more exercise, I see to many who take the easy way out, however inconvenient stay as fit as you can, and stay younger.

I disagree. I have a small non powered trolley ( fashioned from a granny wheeled shopping basket thingy ) and without it, I would probably have not been able to get all the stuff I wanted to the recent PSSA fly-in. The slope we ended up using was a good 'ol walk from the car parking area, and making more than 2 return trips would have pretty much literally exhausted me - it was uphill, in relentless heat and sun, and even the younger and fitter ones were really struggling by the time they got back to the cars on the Saturday night.
My trolley coped well with the bumpy terrain, and by the sounds of it, the powered version would have managed well too. I have no intention of buying one - as the cost is hard to justify for the odd occasion I would use it - but nonetheless, a wheeled cart saved the day for me that weekend. I dont mind the odd "digression" into non model items in the mag, after all variety is they say, the spice of life.
Of course - whatever is printed, you wont please all the people all the time.

I thought hill walking was a different hobby LOL and because i am a an old pensioner i could not afford to buy a bigger car to get the models in and a trolly and my folding chair and my tx case and my.................................................. . .

Edited By tom wright 2 on 13/05/2011 13:41:30

I think everyone has a point. But a battery powered trolly isnt Radio Controlled, nor is it a Model & it has nothing to do with the Electronics of r/c aircraft. I realise that it would appeal to those of advancing years but like Nick said a powered golf trolly with a bit of modification would do fine. Stick to reviewing things that fly guys.

Posted by Olly Giles on 13/05/2011 13:51:42:
Stick to reviewing things that fly guys.

So the mag should not review a new flight box? Or a starter? What about a model stand, can that be reviewed? What about tools - a new type of Dremel say, not allowed? A prop balancer? A battery chager?
The lists could go on, but you take my point. There are lots of things we use in our hobby that don't fly, but I suggest that most of us would accept that reviews of significant new products in these areas would be approriate.

So where do you draw the line? Why are these trolleys different? The fact the Peter Miller and Graham Ashby at least have one indicates they are of interest to aeromodellers - so why are they to be excluded?

BEB

Re the trolley, I see that the real problem is that so much space was given up to talking about it. I agree it is of interest to some, so by all means bring it to our attention but 3 1/2 pages is excessive.

Surely a paragraph in 'Switch On' would have been sufficient?

I think Colin has hit the nail on the head.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 13/05/2011 14:21:07:
Posted by Olly Giles on 13/05/2011 13:51:42:
Stick to reviewing things that fly guys.

So the mag should not review a new flight box? Or a starter? What about a model stand, can that be reviewed? What about tools - a new type of Dremel say, not allowed? A prop balancer? A battery chager?

For your benifit BEB i'll explain implicitly what i meant: It is the resposibility of a magasine to judge what it's readers will find interesting and informative to read. So a 3 and 1/2 page review of a product that has little to do with the focous of the magasine is a mistake, especially if in the introductory paragraph the writer invites the majority of readers not to read any further. In my opinion this appeals to the minority of readers and the review would be best placed in the 'shop window' section with a paragrph or two.
Hope i have clarified things.

Edited By Olly Giles on 13/05/2011 16:18:17

I would not be surprised that many readers share the views of both Colin and Olly. The article was such a switch off, i thought pretty pictures, time to move on.

I suspect the editorial staff will have got the message that a number of readers have strong views, some pro, some anti. What do the rest who have not reponded think, will it perhaps make many less inclined to buy the magazine, or is what they are looking for?

For me it could well have been a show stopper, on reflection whilst flicking through it, it was the plan of the Mosquito for me. This is one model I am tempted to build, as it is a proper model in construction, not just outline.

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 13/05/2011 10:49:53:

"". Personally I have little interest in chucking things off a big hill,"

Says yet another person who has never actually tried it !
Come on Dave, you know you want to, and the big rock awaits your first visit

Not sure if this post is directed towards BEB or my good self ( regarding recent PM's on Timbo's very ultra super top secret project ) If its an open offer i'll come down and have a nosey mister ...reckon I can get there in a couple of hours with the wind in the right direction.

Might even get a vid and some stills of the maiden(s) if you want

Just pick a nice sunny day , not much wind and plenty of sunshine. Ill be expecting a calor gas stove, coffee and a couple of piping hot bacon butties on arrival

Edited By Foamie Dave on 13/05/2011 16:54:48

it was BEB actually - Im always yanking his chain about it Dave
But, of course, you and anyone else for that matter would be most welcome to come along and see what all the fuss is about - just PM me and we can sort something out.

In answer to your celebrity star status demands for the green room...
1) Yes - its always sunny in god's country
2) Wind is good for sloping Mr Royds
3) Flask or kelly kettle only
3) Black with demerara sugar
4) You bring the butties - I'll eat 'em

Posted by Mowerman on 13/05/2011 19:37:27:
The free plans are fantastic but my hands ar'nt steady enough for such small components these days.
If some of those who posted above read this they will probably say i shouldnt be flying models

You're not too old til the swines are nailing you down!

And even then you can always swop the harp for a WOT4!

BEB

Guys, I don't have a problem with the trolley being in the magazine, as I said, it's probably a great tool for some people.
It was the amount of space and the way the article read that I didn't agree with, a half page would have been fine, 3.5 pages is a joke and could have been a full model review!

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 13/05/2011 19:19:54:

But, of course, you and anyone else for that matter would be most welcome to come along and see what all the fuss is about - just PM me and we can sort something out.

Sounds like a plan mister. I'll PM you later in the year and see if theres a day without family commitments that will suit us both (and very ultra super top secret project might be nearly done )

As far as my diva demands i guess I'll settle for a brew then.

Back on topic as for electric trolley debate, theres nothing that a bit of balsa and a Moki Radial up front wouldnt cure ..I have a cunning plan...

Posted by Erfolg on 11/05/2011 16:43:29:
As a few others have indicated, I think, I will looking for the build threads for Mosquito, to see how the lipos and other equipment is installed. Principally as the nose moment is very short, getting the CG in the right place could be a challenge without the use of lead.

Er - I use (2) Thunder power 3s 1300 mAh lipos in the nose and the model balances perfectly with the set up prescribed in the plans. I added 1/2 oz nose weight as an insurance policy but it really doesn't need it. When I designed the model, I was manical about tail weight and it paid off.....the Skeeter is the best flying model I have owned/designed

Rob

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 15/05/2011 06:22:04