Mini Panic - first build

Geoff Gardiner

Hello Everyone.>>

> >

I have just got myself a new mini panic kit and, as soon as I have converted my garage room to a workshop, will be starting this as my first ‘trad’ build – I have put together several ARF’s.>>

> >

Have any of you folks out there put one of these together? >>

> >

I would welcome any advice as to the electric setup used (servos, motor, esc, prop, battery and bec combinations).>>

> >

Also, has anyone put a cowl over the motor – I feel it would improve the looks greatly.>>

Advert

Looks? Any size of Panic must, by law, be pig-ugly.
I built a Mini when they first appeared, and someone did a build thread on one so I'm sure 'search' will turn something.
It looks as though the structure has changed a bit from the early versions, the elevator and ailerons look to be laser cut now instead of built up from strips. Keep the rear fuselage light, otherwise just follow the instructions, stick at least 350W on the front and have fun.
Mine uses DYS 15gm size servos, 3S LiPo, 40A esc and iirc a 1000kv motor driving a 9*5 prop, all from GC. It's by no means overpowered but ideal for small field aerobatics. Give it as much rudder movement as possible, and stacks of expo.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
I keep meaning to do both. I will get some pics at least to show. Not that mine is built as well as many have managed but the more you can see the easier it becomes to build. You may get the Mini-panic bug though and end up just having to build one. Still, at least they are pretty inexpensive in both money and time which are both very good reasons in themselves for building one

• 2 months later...
What servo's are people using? 

Edited By Paul Adams on 28/11/2011 23:07:38

good units those Steve, I've got one driving the Eros elevator and others in electrics and soarers. I've had no problems at all with them - so far!
I'd definitely go for MG servos in the Panic, the large surfaces make it dead easy to strip a nylon gear in a small servo just carting the model about. 

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 29/11/2011 14:22:15

• 11 months later...

Well.........I kinda got side-tracked with various other ARTF builds and have only just started on the Mini Panic.

This being my first build from a bunch of sticks, I thought I would update this thread.

I believe this kit has been improved upon since I purchased mine.

I Started with a wing and ran into a couple of problems:

I found it a bit tricky (using the flat foam rib spacer jig) to get all the ribs straight and true. I believe the latest kit has tabs on the ribs to help this part of the build.

My Kit is miising the shear webbing. A fact I did not realise until after I had cut up one ot the trailing edge sheeting strips to use for webbing - I will have to get some spare balsa for the other wing. Also I found that after I had glued the edge of the leading edge sheeting, to the leading edge with thin CA, when I tried to bend the remaining sheet around the ribs - it cracked.

Mini Panic wing.jpg

Hopefully this will sand down OK. There is a bit of a warp in the tip of the trailing edge, on one side. It's not massive and I am hoping I can pull it straight when I cover the wing.

I also made a start on the Fuselage. I have ground to a halt as I need to get some wood to make a battery 'shelf' and work out where to fit the servos (I have tower pro 9g SG90's - hope they will be man enough for the job).

Mini Panic fuse.jpg

That's all for now.

P.S. I am a slow builder....

Geoff

Nice to see your smileing face. Its been a long a long time since we last flew together.

Good luck with the build. I still have an unbuilt Mini Panic lurking in the loft somewhere.Its a pre-production

version - handed to me bit by bit by Rob Newman over a couple of weeks hot off his then new cnc laser

cutter. Will I ever build it? Perhaps wait until its vintage.

Hi Geoff

Good to see that you have entered the world of balsa bashing.

The Mini Panic is a good build, but make sure that the connecting rods between the upper and lower ailerons are secure. My one had ball and socket joints, one of which came undone with predictable results!

Big T has it now, so with his repair skills I am sure it will rise again.

Pete

• 1 month later...

Been busy lately but have done a bit of tinkering today.

I went to Avicraft regarding the missing bits from the kit and they were most helpful and sorted me out with the required items – only problem was I chatted so long, I got a parking ticket!

I have made the top wing – just needs sanding.

Mini Panic top wing.jpg

Fitted a battery tray.

Mini Panic battery tray.jpg

Installed the servos in the fuselage. I have decided to use the Towerpro MG90’s

Mini Panic servos.jpg

Geoff, I notice that you have put the curved centre section sheeting in the opposite way round to other build blogs. i.e. other people put the wide part near the LE. I am not sure which is the correct way or if it makes much difference, but it's worth noting.

I am working on a Mini Frantic which is very similar wing construction but it doesn't say anything about this in the instructions for this either. To me it looks natural to put it wide part to LE so I will do this on my model.

• 7 months later...

It's pretty much done - I can't believe how slow I've been (enjoyed it though).

Not too sure where the CofG should be. I have balanced it at 3 inches behind the leading edge of the top wing. What has anyone else used? Also, what size prop? (I have a 9x6 on but have not put it on the watt meter yet).

When I fitted the landing gear I found that the elevator was touching the ground. After a bit of head scratching I added a horn to act as a skid. On testing, it was acting more like an anchor so I have fitted a small wheel. It might not be man enough for the job but we will see.

• 2 weeks later...

Popped over to the field today with the Mini Panic for it’s maiden voyage. The wind was a bit gusty but not too bad. Took a deep breath, opened the taps and away she went. After a bit of trimming she flew magnificently – should have had more faith in my building ability. Four flights later we both came home in one piece!

• 7 months later...