Panther Trainer Autogyro

Richard Harris

Advert

Thanks Bill for the comments.

Mine is an ASP 52, think Andy N used similar and power is good. Rich E has an old OS 40 in his which is a bit marginal if the engine is not fully on song.

With mine the balance is looking a challenge, the battery could be in the tail at this rate so if I was considering maybe a 48 4 stroke might be ok

If following the 2 stroke route as we all commented before a 25 seems not enough, a 36 maybe too much so my 32 setup appears to be close.

With the design character of the model and those classic lines it has to be a 4 stroke in my opinion

Yes very nice Steve, yes

To get the hang-angle correct, due to the weight of the 52, I moved the mast gearbox forward.

This will change the CofG position (ie the CofG is relative to the blades spindle) and so be aware of this.

The hang angle is now the only way to get an idea she is going to fly correctly, and a nose heavy model is better to fly than a tail heavy one. surprise

Moving the gearbox also allowed me to put the Rx battery under the two MG995 servos, rather than in the tail.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Andy

Edited By Andy Nash on 18/09/2013 22:05:51

• 2 weeks later...

That over its back to the second Panther and the canopy Saga.......

Refusing to be beaten I made another balsa plug, not painted this time to avoid the paint sticking to the inside with the heat...

The first attempt was again a disaster ....teethcrying 2

So plan B seemed to be to try and give the 2 litre pop bottle little shrinking to do by adding to the plug....I'm please with the second effort yescheeky

sam_1784.jpg

So it seems to work for me, make the plug oversize and fill the pop bottle before applying the heat gun......here is the plug and you can see the additions which help second time around.

sam_1785.jpg

Edited By Steve Jones 2 on 30/09/2013 22:30:33

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Koen Smits on 10/10/2013 21:26:08:

Hi All, in the **LINK** is a small video from my Panther, its not flown by myself.

Koen.

Well done Koen

Perhaps get a trainer lead and two Tx units, this has helped many new to autogyro flying.

Steve you gave me a shock. Thought you had broken the Panther! Then realised you had it in parts to cover. lol

Regards

Andy

Hi Richard

Now there are 3 Richards, this could get confusing! Welcome to the thread Richard. Pictures and progress reports please. We like pictures!

Engine. I have used a ASP 0.36 2-stroke and she was a bit over powered. 0.32 looks to be better.

I now have a ASP 0.52 4-stroke (inverted) and this is a bit over powered again. I do like the sound. OS 48 might be better but I don't have one to try. I know from Rich E an old OS 40 4-stroke is not ideal. Not enough power.

Sorry can't help you with electric setups.

Regards

Andy

Hi Richard,

Welcome to the dark side and of course the forum. If you have time it is well worth having a browse through this thread, there have been some excellent builds and ideas from other forum members.

Regarding the electric set up, there is one recommended HERE. If you base it on this there are different cheaper set ups than can be used, 4 s is the way to go.

As a great moderator once said " the only question that is stupid is the one that is never asked"

On another note we do seem to have plenty of old and new gyronuts dotted around the UK and from time to time we try and have a 'get together' up and down the country. It is never anything too serious but it gives us chance to meet like minded fools, have a laugh, swop ideas and help others who feel the need for assistance (we have all had it by the way). We also have amongst us IC and electric Panther pilots on both mode 1 and mode 2 who are always happy to help.

Rich (H)

I've been away for a few months and have just got back into Panther building. Today I basically finished, matched, and balanced four blades -- all without the final covering at the moment. But I have a couple of questions:-

1. Is there an optimum weight per blade? Mine, uncovered are 41 grammes each.

2. Mine seem a bit twisty at the moment. I know that Solarfilm covering will stiffen them up a bit, but has anyone used 25g/m2, or even 50g/m2 fibreglass to give some extra stiffness and protection?

3. The plan says to "feather" the edges of the top and bottom root reinforcement plates, so I did. Problem now is that the spot where the 0.4mm packer is supposed to be is partly feathered, not all flat. It seems to me this shouldn't be a problem, for the packer in fact will only contact the triangular head plate along its edge closest to the bolt anyway. Am I right in thinking that, or do I need to un-chamfer (i.e. build up) one side of the bottom reinforcement plate to make a flat base for the packer?

Gaston,

11 x 5 is about right for an OS 40 FSR, I am unsure what you mean by anticouple?

Allan,

Blades weighing 41 grammes should be fine, the heavier they are the harder they are to get to spin up but the flatter the cone of the rotor disc is which reduces roll trim.

The only reason why I feather the edges of the blade root plates is simply to help with the covering of them, as long as you can get some kind of shim in it will be fine, infact, if the blades are built exact to the aerofoil shown on the plan they will not need any shim to spin up. The shim was only added as a bit of a safe guard.

Rich