First glitch ever

Myron Beaumont

There I was flying my "Ruperts Dad" when all of a sudden I experienced what you guys call a Glitch. About four seconds later there was an almighty clap of thunder '
Has anyone else experienced that? I'm in the Scarborough area by the way ,so anybody round about will know what i.m saying. No damage done .

Tom
You must be joking about posh ! Sheep,chickens & chicks ,swallows ,mice & rats ,cats and a sheep dog that runs away from sheep & me all make themselves at home here coming and going as they please through the house & I nearly forgot our newcomers-Squidgy ,our grey squirrel and georgeous George our peacock who answers to his name AND the two horses -Dobby & Winnie

• 1 month later...
A couple of years ago, one of our instructors reported elevator glitches on 2.4GHz. Later, the wing of the model broke in the middle!

A couple of weeks later two more trainers also sufferred what appeared to be elevator glitches. It turned out that all three models had poor quality wing bands (supplied in the ARTF kit) which were allowing the L/E of the wing to lift, giving the impression of an elevator glitch.

Stronger wing bands cured the problem, and we now advise all of our beginners to throw the cheap bands supplied with the kit into the bin, and buy proper ones.

The broken wing was amost certainly due to L/E lift causing a sudden increase in lift, overstressing the wing.

That's interesting, but I would still go for some form of electronic glitch given the presence of a thunderclap almost simultaneous with the glitch, and given the fact that it doesn't appear to have recurred. Frank Skilbek's explanation makes a lot of sense to me, as a 2.4 system should have filtered out any corrupted control signals. The interference could also have happened at the transmitter end (e.g. interference to the pots).

Well, about 4 seconds would imply that the lighting strike was about 1.2 km away. That is not very far as such things go, especially since the distance need not be horizontal. That is of course assuming that the glitch was simultaneous with the discharge, and also assuming that the 4 seconds is reasonably accurate. There is more than enough energy in a lightning discharge to account for the glitch by any of the means suggested by others, and really the surprising thing is that nothing was fried, including your good self.

I would suggest refraining from standing in the middle of an open field during a thunderstorm. (While also not sheltering under a tree.)

regards
John

The short length of a 2.4 GHz antenna is an advantage as you may pick up less charge. But in case of an electromagnetic pulse also servo cables count as an antenna - and they can be rather long thinking of servos close to the elevator or out on the aileron of a wing.

I remember the old stories of 35Mhz when people told me they stopped flying on a mountain because they could already see St Elmos fire on the antenna tip...

True or not - I don't know - I normally left the site when it looked like a storm was buildiing up.