Which Radio Gear????

Craig Davies

hi eric,

i would never temp tryna fly that at the moment, like you say ill do more harm than good... i would like to find out if here in the UK a person can fly in any park or are there restriction as i stay in Hull there are two quiet big parks here...

Sorry to be the heretic, but why should 2.4 be the 'way to go'? I almost did, but instead bought new the Multiplex Cockpit SX. Why? Because basically the Spektrum DX7 isn't close to the spec of the SX. It cost another almost as much again as the SX, and isn't without issues. 35mhz, is proven and reliable, the IPD Rx the SX comes with is a doddle to set up (crystal free!). So why would I go for 2.4? No-one I've spoken to in our club has had a plane shot down due to interference on 35mhz on the slope and field, the one or two who have gone for 2.4 have done it for indoor flying.

I have a Multiplex Cocpit sx , No trouble at all IPD tecnology is rock solid at my club they have even tryed to shoot me down with an other transmitter on the same chanel (as a test) but IPD tech is so refined that I did not even notice, because it learns the exect wave form from your tx when you set it up which is particular to your 35mhz tx. AND BEST OF ALL IT IS ON 35MHZ WHICH IS OUR DEDICATED FREQUENCY WHICHIS NOT SHARED WITH ANY BODY ELSE WITH 2.4 YOU CAN NOT COMPLAIN IF SOMEONE TOMORROW COMES AND SHOOTS YOU DOWN BECAUSE HE HAS INSTALLED A CAMERA OR SOMTHING ELSE BECAUSE IT IS A FREE FREQUENCY

I am not saying 2.4 is bad it is great for indoor and park flyers ! but i just would notlike it on longer ranges and larger models.

Hi Craig,

I have the JR 9x very nice but before that I had and still have the Sanwa RD6000 pain in the arse to start with TH-HI would show up on screen meaning you have a bit of throttle on ,shut it down should go off but did not ,went back 4x then gave me a new one, been great every since that was 5 years ago,I thought for value wise Sanwa .

Happy Hunting

Two years ago I was in a similar position, I had a trainer bought for me for Christmas and went in search of a radio set that I could justify the cost of bearing in mind that there was a posibility of the trainer getting recked and never replaced. I now have a few planes - ic, electric and gliders - the transmitter I chose is a Sanwa 6000 sport which I still find more than adequate although the model memory is limited at just 4. Notwithstanding this has encouraged me to investigate the computer radio as I have to reset it and learn its secrets. I am now hinting heavily for a DX7 for Christmas but if I'm honest its mainly for the momories as my 6000 sport still surpasses my expertise.

• 3 weeks later...

This is for Christopher Small - thread 24-10-2007.

It's a bit late, I know, but I haven't been reading the threads for quite a while.

I used the JR X2610 for a couple of years, and upgraded to the X2720 earlier this year only because it has synthesised frequency selection and also I got a very good offer for my 2610 (the 2720 has 20 model memories, which is also a bonsella).

The X2610 is an excellent transmitter and I never had any problems with it at all.  I would say go for it, if you haven't already done so, and you won't regret your decision. 

• 3 weeks later...

Reading the JR manuals on the PCM9xII and X-2720 am I to presume that the PCM9xII is using the 35Mhz band and needs pairs of crystals whereas the X-2720 uses the 2.4Ghz band and has synth frequency

whilst the price of both these is somewhat expensive I suppose you only get what you pay for

My idea was that by going towards the top end it would offer some future proofing as I have some other ideas about R/C for complex road/military models

Or am I wrong

David 

Nearly right David. The 9X2 is indeed 35 mhz and earlier versions had the ability to be synthesised ( no crystals ) I beleive that all the latest 9X2IIs are shipping with synthesised modules as standard.

The X-2720 is already synthesised as standard, but is NOT 2.4Ghz, it remains a dickensian 35 mhz set.

• 1 month later...
<div align="left"> Hi Tim<div align="left">You are going to say I have either got the wrong end of the stick or I am worrying about something that's not going to happen, but the material below originated from my very clever (electronically) Son in Law as a result of my sending him a scale picture of my Fly Cam 1 and some pics.<div align="left">You will see he starts off by expecting me toget the equipment to receive them instantly, and that's when I asked him if he was sure about the frequency.<div align="left">I await your knowledgable comments, on this first discussion, although there is more.<div align="left"><div align="left">Using your video camera, I assumed that you would be watching real time video using a transmitter to radio the pics back. That's much more challenging, and interesting.<div align="left"><div align="left">The 2.4GHz band isn't a 'plane transmitter frequency, it's an unregulated open band for anybody to use for any purpose.It just so happens that some of the r/c makers have moved into it.<div align="left"><div align="left">There's an inherent problem though, because it's open any r/c transmitter (not necessarily model a/c) can come on line at any time using the same channel. You've probably seen the recent upsurge in remote operated stuff on the market, it's everywhere. Computer routers, car remote key fobs, wireless burglar alarms, household mains switches and lamp dimmers. Toys cars and boats, all over the place.<div align="left">There's no regulation. There's supposed to be limits to the tx power levels used, but that's not always respected.

• 1 year later...