Which Radio Gear????

Craig Davies

Hi, please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I have the airframe and engine and am now looking to buy the radio gear, I'd nearly settled on the 35MHz Futaba 6ex with 4 servos and Rx. Then a shop showed me a Sanwa VG6000 which felt nice and was good value. I then phoned another shop to get some prices and they recommended the new technology 2.4GHz which after reading up on seems good, my only concern is it too new and will there be teething problems etc.

I'm sure everyone has there personal favorites but I need some advice please, my budget is £150 to get the complete set, I would prefer to get the latest technology but wondered if this will be OK at clubs (another minefield, which one do I join, a different thread later for this one).

Thank you in advance for any help received.....

Hi Craig and welcome. There are several threads already on this subject, so have a scoot around and read up. IMO 2.4Ghz is the way to go, if you can afford to, and again....only my opinion, the Spektrum DX7 offers the best "budget" version at the moment. I just happen to think the Futaba is a bit plasticky, and with only 2 mixes, and a poor 6 model memories..... limited.

Incidentally, the technology is not actually that new, and USA have been using it in R/C for almost 3 years now.

Hi Timbo, im new to this field i've bought myself a trainer for now... but am looking at going for the TopFlite Seafury Gold Elite model, im interested in making the plane work and do as much as i can, so i have also been looking at Radio set's the Futaba 6EX 2.4G and the Futaba FF9 Super (synth), now i did see on one thread that someone think's they look very plastic, how do you feel and what can you recommend as the model needs 7 channels and 8 servos... Thanks

Hi All,

Just to say thanks to everyone who has responded to my plea for help, it looks like I will go for the Futaba 2.4GHz EX which seems to be within my budget of £150. Before I part with the cash how does this set compare to other 2.4 sets and are they around this price.

Thanks again and I'm sure I will be asking plenty more questions in the future.

Cheers

Craig. 

Craig, unless you are desperate to get in the air with a new set of gear and your budget does not stretch to a Spektrum, leave the Futaba set alone because whilst it is incredibly reliable it has a lot of shortcomings. you would be better off getting a used, medium spec. 35mHz set for now and wait for better/cheaper 2.4. 95% of my models, including all of my scale stuff, are still on 35. Please see the review section for my, and other, comments on this set.

I like trabants and Reliant Robins (Had a Reliant some years ago,the only car I ever got done for speeding in ).

Craig I think the Futaba is a good choice if on a budget.

A review of the futaba is to be found on the home page of this web site.

Kelvin

Ps I have also owned a 2CV.

Hi All,

Just a quick update, I have been to a local model shop and had a chat and have now decided on the Spektrum DX6i 2.4GHz which should be in the shops in 3 to 4 weeks hopefully. He did mention the DX7 which at this stage I can't justify the extra outlay (if truth be known the wife would go ape). They told me it would be around the £110 mark for the Tx & Rx only and extra for the servos which will be within the £150 budget.

This is my final decision now as my head is in a spin with what to go for and after speaking with the guy at the model shop I'm now convinced this is the one for me.

Whatever feedback I now get I'm sticking with this (everyone has there favourite) but if anyone has anything to say about Spektrum I'm all ears.

Cheers for everything.

Craig.

I have been looking at radios.still can`t decide 2.4 or 35 megs,I have looked at the Spektrum DX6 but as Brian says it is for park flyers I believe,leaving the DX7 as probably the best,but a bit too much for me £240 or thereabouts.

One radio I am interested in is the JR X 2610 at around £145 looks good value for money.

Any one use this radio?

May suit Craig,comes with  servos,charger batteries,beginner friendly somewhere it says.

I have been using Futaba FF8 for years but now I also have a Spektrum DX7. I would say that the Spektrum 2.4 is the way to go. Club members who have had problems with glitching and going into fil safe with their 35 MHz radios are switching to 2.4 and curing their problems. I went to 2.4 because we get bad interfference3 on one of our flying fields.

I drove Reliants from about 1970 until a few years ago, now I drive an Aixam. 86 m.p.g.!!  Go on, ask what that is.

Hi, thanks for all the advice I'm getting. I am definitely going for 2.4 but I'm now unsure if I go for the Spektrum DX6i with 6 channels or risk life and limb when the wife finds out and splash out on the DX7 with 7 channels.

What I need to ask is because I'm just starting out can I justify £240 on my first Tx? also how much more beneficial is it to one extra channel?

Again, any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks all..................

Hi Craig

My advice would be - think to the future - go for the best and what you can most afford - I personally have a DX7 and Im very impressed with it - The 7 channels will cover most of my future flying needs in both areoplanes and Helicopters

In my opinion I find the build quality, balance and feel of the specktrum is better than the Futaba sets

Its like buying a car - do you wish had paid that little bit more for the next model up or for that optional extra!

regards  Al

Go for the 7ch. You can buy just the Tx and Rx. Digi servos are something to be appreciated when you have a lot of experience. You would not be able to distinguish the difference in the air for quite some time, and you would save yourself a fair bit of money. If you go down the glider route you will need 7ch, also both of my Spits require 7ch, although on the face of things to start with you may think that you only need 4 or 5ch.

So has anyone tried the new 2.4 modules for futaba yet ?

Got mine coming soon hope to fit it in my good old FF8 and the other thing i just thought of is how many channels does the futaba 2.4 reciever have ?

Like the other guys here said i would say from working in model shops and being at the field get yourself a nice trainer like plane i.e a high winger they may be boring to look at but can be quite fun even once you've learnt (i used to land my fathers ready inverted just to entertain myself lol till i split the fin and he did nt find it so clever after that )

Point is get a trainer first and leave the ww2 fighters till after you ve learnt to fly and are confident on your own !

Phew that was a long post.