Old Warden - Shuttleworth

Advert

Who is Dave Bishop and what his authority for making such statements? 

There was a problem with SAMS who didn't take money on the gate or collect from campers. so there are no more SAMS meetings. That was a silly thing to let happen, but it is caused by all modelers who are basically tight wads and want to run their hobby for nothing, then when facilities are no more, there is wailing and nashing of teeth.

Some careful work needs to be done with Shuttleworth,  by responsible minded and appreciative people, to let them know how important a site it is. 

The trust was set up primarily for education, and to me that is the most important point. It is one of the best places in the country for visitors interested in aviation. There is the historic collection, but with model flying there is a key for interesting children. Most want a Spitfire of course as their first model, but with guidance they can start i in a more suitable place and maybe develop an interest that in some cases becomes a career.

There is also some work needs doing about the standard of build of aircraft and of flying at the organised events. There is poor builds, unprepared aircraft and poor flight discipline, not to mention the pits. All of these are covered in the BMFA handbook, all the R/C flyers have at least A certificates, many have B certificates, consequently they are supposed to know about the safety codes but too many do not see them as important.

There will probably be only one accident involving  a visitor, and that may be the end of model flying at Old Warden. If you don't want to lose it something needs to be done.

Edited By Lazygit on 18/08/2011 13:14:25

Calm down LG - just having a giggle! It was triggered by the fact that initially only that first line of your post was visible.

Dave Bishop runs an outfit called DB sound and he is "the voice" of most of the major model flying shows - so he commentates at things like; Weston Park, Woodvale, the Nats show line etc.

My joke is that, as anyone who has ever heard Dave Bisop will confirm, he is very fond of geeing up the crowd to get behind a flyer who is displaying by using his catchphrase, "C'mon he's British you know"! Hence the joke.

You are of course right - losing model flying at OW is no joke - but hey, sometimes you have to laugh or you'd cry!

BEB

PS 100% behind your "expanded" post!

Well there is certainly another event at Old Warden this year, Modelair website ( which is Ken Sheppard & friends ) have 10 th Sept & 11th Sept. The Saturday 10th is also the Vic Smeed models day.
Yes, unthinkable.  A year without a model event at Old Warden is like the end of the world.

Never heard Dave Bishop?  Lucky chap!  ( just joking Dave )   I should explain that DB talks continually when commentating but it's always well informed stuff ,  but he has never heard that less is more!   But the Modelair events at OW are low key and have no commentary. It's a fly in not a show really.

Edited By kc on 18/08/2011 15:02:48

Lazy get your are indeed fortunate, DB is not to my taste, he is one of the reasons I don't attend shows where he is the pa, also to be honest, I don't attend shows since plumpton closed down.

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 19/08/2011 12:55:46

Commentating is no where near as easy as it sounds (no pun intended!). Its one of those jobs that we all think "I could do that better". Well all I can say is - try it!

I've been landed with the job a couple of times at club scale days etc. Its very hard trying to think of something original to say about a little known prototype appearing for the third round! And let's face it, being stuck for something to say isn't a common occurrance where I'm concerned!

BEB

Hi Paul, howya doin?!!

I heard a similar rumour and thought that model flying had stopped already.

I believe it is due to the new hangar (in the woods opposite the model flight line) being filled with privately owned aircraft, they will understandably want to fly when they like.

I'm hoping to fly in there next week and I'll ask again but I think that is the main reason.

GB

Posted by kc on 20/08/2011 12:35:53:
Surely that's what many people are complaining about? When there is nothing to say then the commentator should be silent.

Couldn't agree more. People who talk incessantly probably have some deep seated insecurity. Relevant commentary is useful and informative, talking for the sake of filling up otherwise quiet moments can be a turn off for many subjects, not just aeromodelling. eg Boris Johnson.

Posted by Gary Binnie on 20/08/2011 13:22:53:
Hi Paul, howya doin?!!

I heard a similar rumour and thought that model flying had stopped already.

I believe it is due to the new hangar (in the woods opposite the model flight line) being filled with privately owned aircraft, they will understandably want to fly when they like.

I'm hoping to fly in there next week and I'll ask again but I think that is the main reason.

GB

They can fly when they want now, except when there are organised events when the airfield is closed.

What"s happening next week?

I do visit quite regularly by air, the £10 landing fee gets one person into the museum which is a good deal.

Arrivals do a 'standard overhead join' which gives the modellers time to land and I've never had a problem.

I'll try and find out what's happening when I fly in next.

GB

Just catching up with posts after being away. John Gibbs on the 19th says "DB not to his taste and hasn't been to shows since Plumpton stopped", I thought DB organised that show or at least the last few years so he cant be too bad, but I agree he is someone tou love or loathe.

John