The future is coming...according to Horizon Hobby

Advert

Hmm !
Well I'm sure you can anticipate my reaction as one who has never played a video game & never wanted to
.I thought the whole point of flying was to "do it yourself " no matter what the elements throw at you .Now THAT is skill .I suppose we;ll all end up in this so called future playing on simulators to save the "bother" of creating a man /brain co-ordinated controlled flying machine .I think the technology (not explained fully) is incredible and will put this type of control system into the instant gratification category & we all know how long that lasts (well,parents anyway)
Just call me old fashioned but I do love radio control over free flight & control line '
Myron YO 13 Senile old gits dept.

Errr, its not actually replacing the pilot, so its hardly free flight - or control line ( which incidentally requires a lot of pilot / pit skill!)
AFAICS, its merely utilizing solid state gyro stabilisation to smooth out any undesired external influence such as wind gusts etc. Both model and full size flying machines have used this for years, indeed without gyros, it would be nigh on impossible to fly a heli at all, ( model or full size ) or quadcopter etc. Its not a computer game either, or simulator, and good hand to eye co-ordination and general flying skill will most definitely still be needed. Think of it more like an extension to the plethora of electronics which already allow us to fly model aeroplanes that a few years ago would be impossible, and dont forget everyday computer radio "tricks" that improve many a pilots ability such as exponential, or dual rates etc.
And finally, remember.....no-one is gonna make you buy one Myron

Myron said:

"Just call me old fashioned but I do love radio control over free flight & control line '"

Hey Myron, old fashioned modellers fly or flew Free Flight and control line when radio control was in its infancy so we don't call you old fashioned 'cos you aren't.

Oh and control line calls for far more precision timing than R/C ever did. Consider that a stunter doing round 60 mph is covering 88 feet per second. You have to pull out of a wing over at 6 feet above the ground.

1/10th of a second late is 8 feet, that is two feet under ground.

Now where is that Peacmaker plan.

Timbo
I think you misunderstood me .I was actually saying that I really appreciate the introduction of proper proportianal control over none at all (free flight) & control line (which meant you didn't see your creation disappearing over the horizon or into the situation where a tree comes out of nowhere and ruins your creation )
When you're flying off the Great Orme ,then surely it is you PLUS the elements (& your indisputable skill ) that gives you so much fun . Can't imagine you soarer types using electronic stabilisers somehow. Isn't it to do with knowing how not to crash 'cos you know from experience where & where not to go (& crash? )That's what it's all about ,Isn't it ?
I'll get mi coat .
Myron

Yes, we all know you're 'old school' Myron

The technology seems to be linked to the Ultra Micro models which, as anyone who's tried to fly one indoors will tell you, can be pretty exciting experience simply because they always seem to be a bit too fast and skittish with solid objects taking no prisoners.

It'll be interesting to see how the performance is improved accordingly.

Edited By David Ashby - RCM&E on 21/10/2011 13:41:06

Posted by Myron Beaumont on 21/10/2011 17:19:59:
AND a lot cheaper Eh?
If you compare the videos of the Sumo with the Air Taxi there is just no comparison. Sumos don't fly, they just flop about and are a menace to everything that has the misfortune to be sharing the same airspace as them.  

The only thing that should be in the air when a Sumo is up is another Sumo, that way  they can wipe each other out.

Cheers
Ian

Edited By IDD15 on 22/10/2011 09:01:21

Well, I'm sure some people will like it - and that's great. But it does nothing for me I'm afraid

For me it feels a bit like the amount of hype is inversely proportional to the degree of real excitment envoked by the model. Its clever - and packaging all that hi-tech in an affordable unit is good. But, so what? Stabilisation systems have been around for a while, it doesn't seem to me to anything I've haven't seen a 100 young-bucks do with a 4-site or the like in the local leisure centre. All in all, a bit of an anti-climax to be honest.

Talk of a Harrier turned into two interlocking sheets of foam shaped like the rocket from Wallace and Grommet - only their's flew better!

BEB

Presumably the idea is to come up with a system that anyone can "do tricks" with, from the platform of their Smartphone without having the slightest understanding, or interest, in any form of aviation, model or otherwise. In other words a a computer game exported to the reality of 3 dimensions.

Expect a whole string of four page reviews in the mags........