Nigel Hawes on TV Fri night?

nasa_steve

Posted by kc on 08/10/2011 11:43:43:
Why would anybody waste good model building time watching this rubbish on TV? I blame ARTF made by cheap foreign labour!

Hear hear well said KC.

As I said above I gave up on TV years ago. Not for any grand reasons - I just felt that it robbed me of too much time doing something that had no "end product". So while I never know who the hell half the people folks talk about in work are - I do get a lot more models built, books read and music played - not too mention having laugh on here! So I'm happy without it. And to be honest last night just convinced me further that I'm not missing anything.

BEB

Advert

I'm sorry, but anyone who launches into a monologue about the development of electric RC flight and battery development at a dinner party deserves all they get!!

Nice one Nige for having a bash though. I'm sure you'll be fine as long as Graham Dorschell is in Thailand and misses it!

Melon gondolas........

Posted by graham kindberg1 on 07/10/2011 15:10:08:
Hi Steve, long time no see, must have a real catch up time with you.
Spoke to Nigel before he went on (another) holiday. had a good laugh on that one though, told me the results, I wont spoil it for you though.
Graham
Hi Graham
good to see your still gracing the UK forums i have sent my father-in-law your way i hope he made it he lives in the UK now but has a daughter and x out in Aus he has a house in Ipswich. i'd imagine the temperature is just starting to climb out there now. We just had a short Indian summer here last Monday it was 30 deg C here its dropped to 13 degC now so starting to feel it now. i hope life is treating you well
all the best
steve

Posted by andy watson on 08/10/2011 20:20:15:
I'm sorry, but anyone who launches into a monologue about the development of electric RC flight and battery development at a dinner party deserves all they get!!

Spot on Andy - I was thinking exactly the same. I mean if it had been the relative merits of Saito vs OS OK! But batterries - always a mood killer in my experience

BEB

I saw it from the end of the 1st commercial break but 10 minutes was about all I could bear to watch.
IMO it should have been billed as - 3 pretentious pratts & a BOF with fatuous voiceover comments randomly dubbed in.

Edited By PatMc on 08/10/2011 20:56:47

I don't see the need to feel too sorry for him, he is a grown up and knew what the show was about before getting into it.

He had great guts to do it but i hardly think he's the type to allow anybody to take the mick out of him without him realising it, he was in it for the crack and good on him!

He is sure to have watched the show before and would have realised that it's the shows job to take your personality and highlight and over egg the quirky bits, shows me he has nowt to hide and i admire the chap for it, as for the "badger baiting" calls and the like, come on, nobody does something they do not want to do, you know the risks so don't shout foul when you see something you don't like! and for the viewers.... well you could always switch over

isn't it amazing the electric bashers always seem to take advantage and get their orange boxes out for gawds sake drag yourselves out of the 20th century you never know you may like it.........you guys kill me I'd kinda thought if your gonna bash you'd at least learn to spell what your bashing  i think you'll find its batteries lol

Edited By nasa_steve on 09/10/2011 01:03:18

I agree with Lee and Andy - you know what you what you are getting into before you go on these shows. I do not agree with the general derision aimed at the show - it is a great piece of TV of that genre and the guy who does the VO, the excellent Dave Lamb, is a legend in the industry.

Nigel just ticked all the boxes. Model aircraft enthusiast, lives in a shambolic house, didn't wash his hands after clearing up dog mess and served up very poor food. The producer must have been delighted with his choice!

I'm also surprised at the number of people who claim that they do not watch television - but then go on to say they caught it on iPlayer or 4OD. Join the 21st century guys. Even the BBC now refer to "Visual and Audio" rather than "TV and Radio", reflecting the different ways people consume content.

And BEB, you would have missed out on the recent Spitfire programme with John Sergeant and the Cambridge professor re-building Barnes Wallace's bouncing bomb.

Posted by FunnyFlyer on 09/10/2011 08:32:13:

I'm also surprised at the number of people who claim that they do not watch television - but then go on to say they caught it on iPlayer or 4OD. Join the 21st century guys. Even the BBC now refer to "Visual and Audio" rather than "TV and Radio", reflecting the different ways people consume content.

And BEB, you would have missed out on the recent Spitfire programme with John Sergeant and the Cambridge professor re-building Barnes Wallace's bouncing bomb.

the expression cutting ones nose off to spite ones face springs to mind here..........Granted there is a lot of rubbish on TV but then there is some very good viewing as well you cannot use "home & away or Neighbours" as a comparison you need to get past those two

I feel sorry for Nigel but he did know what he was letting himself in for. That commentator needs to learn when to shut his pie hole (kindly ) though.
It was a shame because the voice over made out that he was the most abnormal one when he was the most normal out the lot. It was interesting to watch even if half of it I was behind the sofa peeking over. The voice over has done nothing for this hobby, very disappointed in the voice over........ Nice crash/landing though

Tom

Posted by nasa_steve on 09/10/2011 01:00:40:
isn't it amazing the electric bashers always seem to take advantage

Nasa I'm an electric basher, I took BEB's comment in the spirit it was intended - as a joke!

Being obliged to admit that I have, on occasions, dropped my guard and watched other episodes of this programme (), you have to understand the aim of it as an entertainment.

The producers look for people (who must offer themselves up in the hundreds....) who are fundamentally obnoxious/incompatible/people you'd never want to meet, let alone eat with, four times in a week.

They are then thrown into the bear pit and, with a sharp, entertaining commentary, the flaws in their characters are systematically exposed.

The participants don't go into this with a view to maintaining their reputation, let alone enhancing it.........

Just another drop of entertainment anaesthesia for the masses.........

Pete

Posted by nasa_steve on 08/10/2011 20:24:04:
Posted by graham kindberg1 on 07/10/2011 15:10:08:
Hi Steve, long time no see, must have a real catch up time with you.
Spoke to Nigel before he went on (another) holiday. had a good laugh on that one though, told me the results, I wont spoil it for you though.
Graham
Hi Graham
good to see your still gracing the UK forums i have sent my father-in-law your way i hope he made it he lives in the UK now but has a daughter and x out in Aus he has a house in Ipswich. i'd imagine the temperature is just starting to climb out there now. We just had a short Indian summer here last Monday it was 30 deg C here its dropped to 13 degC now so starting to feel it now. i hope life is treating you well
all the best
steve
Send them around for dinner, Ipswich is just down the road. Heart opp done, and lots of flying.
Graham

I'm cooking italian tonight if anyone cares to pop round?

My thanks to a good friend for directing me to this forum, I'll make a post and one only.

I entered the competition by request, following the channel-crossing documentary my name was on file. I saw it as an opportunity to show models in flight, and get RCME some exposure, hence wearing my RCME top for interviews, flying etc., and being filmed writing a column, which they didn't use in the event.

I also wanted to promote the Pauper Kings, a hugely talented band from York, and get them on telly for the first time - I truly hope a talent scout notices them!

Nobody enters CDWM without first hand knowledge of the way it is edited and voiced over, and I fully expected to be the brunt of some fun poking. Some think it was edited and voiced over rather harshly, others saw it as hilarious.

I had agreed to use a friend's house to film the show, as mine is undergoing a full renovation and 5-metre extension! At the 11th hour they said this wasn't possible and I'd have to somehow use my own place, so I agreed on the remit at they would preset it in this way - of course they didn't, so I am entirely to blame for that!

Certain aspects were staged for effect, such as the dog poo bit and the dust (which was actually some cat hair out of my cat's sleeping basket!) This is just what goes on in a show like this - but I'm not supposed to tell you that apparently!

For the last 30 years I have tried to promote modelling and electric flight in particular through articles, designs, kits, photos, talks, the channel crossing etc., and this was another oportunity. That they chose to rubbish it I'm afraid is down to editing and I had no control over that, so I categorically apologise to anyone who feels my efforts have backfired!

But I tried nevertheless.

As for the landing, anyone with HD and freeze frame will notice that the last few seconds of flight were done with the rudder at full left throw. This was due to a failed servo (ES80D) and I'm personally amazed it didn't go in completely!

Anyway that's my lot!

Nigel Hawes.

Edited By Nigel Hawes on 10/10/2011 13:46:10

Posted by nasa_steve on 09/10/2011 01:00:40:
isn't it amazing the electric bashers always seem to take advantage and get their orange boxes out for gawds sake drag yourselves out of the 20th century you never know you may like it.........you guys kill me I'd kinda thought if your gonna bash you'd at least learn to spell what your bashing i think you'll find its batteries lol

Edited By nasa_steve on 09/10/2011 01:03:18

Wow, lighten up Steve - it was just a tongue in cheek joke. The reality of course is that discussion about OS vs Saito would have appeared just as boring to the general audience - boy I didn't think I'd actually have to explain that  Oh, and by the way I actually have 5 electric models - not including indoor - so I don't think I fit the "electric bashing" mould too well.

BEB

PS Re other comments - out of interest the last three TV shows I watched were indeed the Bouncing Bomb documentary, the John Sargent's Spitfire programme and this one of Nigel's - all on-line! I find that this forum is quite good at alerting me to anything that is worth watching! As for being in the 20/21st Century - well as a research engineer I don't think I have too many problems in that direction!

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 10/10/2011 15:02:11

Posted by Nigel Hawes on 10/10/2011 13:45:28:
I'm cooking italian tonight if anyone cares to pop round?

etc ........

No thanks Nigel. 'Cause you'll probably serve it in a Melon Boat

Good on ya Nigel, a very neat explanation

N.B. The kitchen table is for charging Lipos on !

BB

I work in TV and would just like to say that ALL TV IS EDITED! Hundreeds of hours would have been shot for this, with the single aim of, ahem, entertainment. This means pandering to the lowest common denominator (man with model plane = music from Top Gun, but only 20 seconds otherwise you have to start paying coz the majority of the budget goes to overpaid execs), so the producers will prompt the poor schmucks involved and then sift through to get what they need.

For example, that woman who wore the corset would have been prompted to say those things, several takes would have been shot in order to catch her at her most bitchy and annoying and those takes would have been edited to highlight her nervous laugh with every piece to camera.

If you have any further questions about how this sort of thing is put together, message me because I don't want to go off on a rant here.

Also, I respect any man with a cement mixer in his back garden!

Edited By Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 10/10/2011 16:13:21

Whilst i applaude your intentions nigel i am afraid if you thought any good would come out of this then your a bit naive, i would suspect that money was also a consideration and in these tough times who can blame you, i would however not have mentioned my hobby ( i myself try to keep it very quiet) as i know what the tv editors would do with it, and i fear that what you have done has backfired on you a tad!! the only impact it has had on me is that i now have an even harder time trying to convince the people who do know me that i am not a sad eccentric jumper wearer, but hey i think i failed in that a long time ago

Jeez lads it was only a TV programme, I am sure the understand of our hobby on the general public who watch this rubbish was marginal. I doubt if anyone who planned taking up the R/C flying suddenly said "that Nigel is a bit odd, I am going to go train spotting instead".
I laughed more at the "25" year old band member and as for the two other contestants mutton dressed as mutton comes to mind.

SO'L