Blackburn B2 - a 30's bipe with a whole lot of shiny bits!

Tim Hooper

Advert

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi Tim not sure if you will see this

As a former apprentice at Blackburn & General aircraft now BAE, I follow the FB page which has the B2 as the profile pic.I got inspired to build a model, I searched, found and purchased you plan from RCME. I have been using your post on the forum as a building plan, totally amazing. This is my first scratch build, also my first bipe I have always built from kits.

I now live in Canada and find some of the materials you used are not available here so some mods have been made. Currently wings & tail feathers are built, I am now into the fuselage.

A couple of questions, what did you use for the rigging wire & what is the colour are the struts & U/C painted?

The Blackburn is probably still at the Old Warden museum in Bedfordshire, their website has a photo - colour looks more blue than turquoise to me. The full size was in the hanger when Tim flew his model and they looked exactly the same colour. Possibly dulling the colour a little made the model look more realistic ( the Dave Platt theory of colour perspective I think )

On the occasion Tim got that trophy he was asked by my brother ( a very experienced panel beater ) how he made the aluminium cowl. The amazing answer was it was not beaten alloy but just tape over balsa. From just a couple of feet away it was impossible to tell!

Posted by Jim Mansfield on 25/01/2019 13:49:46:

Hi Tim......

A couple of questions, what did you use for the rigging wire & what is the colour are the struts & U/C painted?

It's a long time ago, Jim, but thanks for the interest!

The rigging wire was, I think, 30lb coated fishing trace - my 'standard' rigging gauge.

As for the shade of blue, a quick look through the paint stocks, reveals an opened pot of Humbrol #47 Sea Blue, so that's probably what I used.

My B2 is still flight worthy, you'll be pleased to hear, and gets an airing several times a year as a matter of course. The OW B2 was there when I last visited a few months ago too - as was another B2 built from my plan!

Good look with the project, Jim. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Timimg_1904small.jpg

Great looking duo Tim, I was wondering anyone else had built a B2.

Thanks for the info, I like to put some detail in the cockpit of my models, with that in mind I searched for photos, manage to get on showing the instrument panel but only part of the seats. Do you know where I might get photo of the them?

Current progress, thanks to your posts, wings and center section, horizontal stabalizer, rudder, cabane & wing struts built. Fuse is under way, though the motor you installed is no longer available so I plan on an E Flite Power 60 not sure what if any dimensions are different yet.