The 2011 Christmas Build

Advert

I watched "Hanna" last night. I love assassin type films (Leon, Le Femme Nikita, Bourne series, etc). The plane would have been finished, but was letting the epoxy fully harden, without moving anything.

I also put thread lock on all bolts, especially the engine a pushrod clevisis.

I liked the pants, the Gruapner Klemm35 pants were, well, pants. Looked good, but useless as the u/c moved too much causing the pants to lock against the wheel.

Ran the engine. Started after a few flicks and ticks over oh so sweet. They were a good make of engine back in the 90's, just as good as an OS then.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 26/12/2011 15:45:24

Edited By Paul Marsh on 26/12/2011 15:54:20

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 26/12/2011 21:56:04

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 26/12/2011 11:44:34:
The model is the thing of course - but I think the "number of postings in a day thing" adds a bit of extra excitement! I make it that there were 108 posts on the day. Very good indeed - but sadly no receord this year - better luck next year Stephen!

BEB
who's bothered about number of postings in a day..not stephen methinks...its all about Fun.................and there is where stephen is King.......his own personal build/thread in one day....never to be beaten..

ken anderson ne..1......SG fan club dept..

Posted by ken anderson. on 26/12/2011 18:55:59:
who's bothered about number of postings in a day..not stephen methinks...its all about Fun.................and there is where stephen is King.......his own personal build/thread in one day....never to be beaten..

ken anderson ne..1......SG fan club dept..

Totally agree Ken.

BEB

Ive been checking the set up of the ailerons and measured the throws to ensure they match the sport as opposed to the aerobatic ser up.I than set the throttle position and had to reverse it on the transmitter,.Heving done that I then fueled up to run up the engine.Took a bit of time but finally had the engine running but had lost all control.Thorouhghly checked everything,plugged another battery in,and the battery although registering 4.8 wasnt even lighting the receiver.Its a new battery but I nee d to check if it could be faulty.I recall Lee Smalley lost hisZlin 50 to a dodgy receiver battery

I've just come back from flying. Flew the Spit and Sparrowhawk. Had two flights. Flew well, only needing a few clicks of up trim, but what was evident that expo is needed on elevators, as it was quite pitch sensitive, even though the C of G is bang on (also by nose down flight).

Added 30 % expo and is now spot on.

Those silver wings are hard to see against the grey clouds.

Looks like you had a close call with the RX battery. Better to bin it if suspect, of course. What battery is it?

Edited By Paul Marsh on 27/12/2011 13:51:39

Try Expo, it will help make your flying smoother, especially near the ground. I never used expo, until Chris Bull from IMAC fame flew on of my models, and suggested so. I set it at different levels, if assuming 3 position rate switch:

Position 1: 100% D/R 30% Expo

Position 2: 85% D/R 20 % Expo

Position 3: 70% D/R 0% Expo

Throws: Max as possible!

This is an example, where higher dual rates allow response, without being overly twitchy. On low rates, no expo is needed. This is the set-up for the Sparrowhawk, for example.

I've used those batts before. They are ok, but I buy mainly Vapextech Instants from now on.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 27/12/2011 15:15:09

Thanks for that Im a bit timid when flying and dont like moving switches yet.Can you explain pitch sensitive.I alweays get a mate to maiden my new models.I like to wauch him take off anf land a couple of times before I do it myself so I can see how it performs.Ive ordered 2 sets of batteries.I have one set that was in a job lot I bought on E bay abd its brilliant almost never needs charging.

Pitch sensitive means when applying elevator the elevvators make the tail/nose rise a little to quick. Usually means the aircraft is tail-heavy, or a short moment arm, hence why pattern models have long moment arms, making them more smoother in aerobatic patterns.

When an a/c is pitch sensitive, it looks like a bucking bronco, slight inputs causing thus.

This is where I could do with someone in our club who thinks like you gents.The only experience Ive had was when someone flew my model decided I neede expo and I felt like I was flying a boat.Very slow response and I was having to put loads more direction in to get the model to react.Landed told the guy I hated it and he took it out.The majority iof my club mates dont fly expotential,they seem to have just moved from bang bang so everything is to far advanced and they stick to standard set ups.

Agreed, always have around 20 -30% expo on everything for first flights, then adjust as necessary.
On some very fast and potentially twitchy models, I have as much as 80% on elevator and aileron. I like loads on the aileron especially, as being mode1, if I bang open the throttle - which I tend to on my jets - its easy to put unwanted aileron inputs, which could be fatal if Im very low at the time.

I suspect not using expo may well have contributed to your, let's face it, rather high attrition rate in the past, Stephen.

As others have said above, it is ideal for smoothing out control movements around the stick centre and makes for much more comfortable and predictable handling.

I wouldn't dream of not using expo, in varying degrees, on any model. The standard setup is just too sensitive. I'm talking sport flyer here - not about 3D afficionados - and I'd take a bet that many of them use some expo. too!

Is that a Luddite attitude in your club - or are they all just brilliant flyers?

Try some expo on one of your hack models and see how it goes........

Pete

IMAC chaps use Expo, and their fly demands the smoothest, constant flying there is. A little over-control on a manoeuvre will cause loss of points, however small the error is. Of course some models don't need it, maybe dual rates, but as Pete said, may have contributed to "incidents" in the past.

There should be an article in RCM&E going into more details about properly setting up your radio, namely Dual Rates and Exponential.

Just a thought (probably been done already, but maybe time again)

Edited By Paul Marsh on 28/12/2011 09:12:38