New to R/C modelling

ColdTurkeY_UK

Hi all, my name is Dan, and I have been an avid fan of aircraft (particularly the WWII variety) since I can remember, and have countless Airfix models, but wanted to go that step further.

I've only today purchased an ST Discovery model to learn how to fly. I got the bug after a friend who belongs to a BMFA club allowed me to buddy box with him on his arising star trainer, and since then I have been waiting for payday to get my own, and that day finally arrived.

I'm hoping that you guys who are experienced model flyer's could give me some starter tips that I could use to get me started and flying safely; As I already stated I have a friend whom I can extract information from, but talking to you, the members of this site I'm hoping will give me the advice I need and allow me to make more informed decisions for the future.

Advert

Hiya Dan, and welcome aboard, sounds like you made a good start, and the Disco is a great trainer aeroplane
I presume you have also joined your friends club, and therefore will have the Insurance?
Just take it easy at first, listen and do as the instructor says, and above all - ENJOY.
Be sure to have a look at this section, and then get stuck in with the questions - remember there are no silly questions...but there may be a few silly answers

Thank you Neil I appreciate your feedback, and yes I do of course intend on joining the BMFA, I just felt it would be nice to have my own model to work on, and train with.

Also thank you Tim for the link to the additional information, which I will ensure to read through. I hope to be flying alongside you guys one day

Thank you Vecchio, I'm sure that I will have many years of fun to be had. Just as a side question, what with the winter approaching and thus my training hours severely hampered, do people recommend using PC based flight simulators for R/C training?

Hi, from me! And welcome the most brilliant and addictive hobby in the world!

Words of advice when setting out? Well I'd say "enjoy learning", don't rush it, take your time and learn well. It will pay off in the long run in terms of making you a better pilot.

Have fun any questions, just ask - they're a helpful lot on here!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 28/10/2011 22:49:10

Simulators? Absolutely. I went from struggling with an instructor straight to flying solo with just lots of simulator use between (Realflight G5.5 in my case). My instructor was great but it was difficult to get the hours, not a problem with a sim.
And when the weather's terrible outside a simulator still has nice sunny weather.

Hi Ben, that really would benefit me being able to practice indoors in my own time, but I'm worried about buying one and then not getting the 'feel' for it. As with all software, I am sure that some will inevitably be better than others, so are there any recommendations? I want to use it as a training tool, not a game, so it would be important to me to find a piece of software that would essentially be a simulation of the real thing.

Edited By ColdTurkeY_UK on 28/10/2011 23:29:59

Simulators are a good way to practice without too much loss of money. My personal opinion is that Real flight is very good for helicopter pilots, Phoenix is better for planes. The computer I am sitting in front of at the moment has real flight installed, phoenix plays on the company lap top....
I tried also the aero fly professional from Ikarus but I was not too impressed.
If you have the phoenix - and a reasonable fast internet - there are some Phoenix on line sessions where you can play against (or together) with your forum mates.
By the way - taste is different - others my have a different experience. In any case both Real Flight and Phoenix will help you to get into business. Even it is is not the same as the reality they help.
By the way - winter doesn't mean no flying. I remember a few very nice and calm days last year - don't forget thermal underwear

This is 2 years ago in Italy - Seagul Edge 540EP with skis

Or if this is not an option look for an indoor facility. (and for a slow flyer) I can recommend the E-flite Extra 3D - flies more like a larger plane than a indoor shockie.

Cheers
VA

Edited By Vecchio Austriaco on 28/10/2011 23:30:07

Yeap, a good simulator is a sensible investment. I use Pheonix and I'm happy with that, but I heard good things about Real Flight too. For beginners they help you to build intuitive reactions and practice orientation. Are they like flying? Well, yes and no. At a general level they are quite realistic in feel, but specific models are not always faithful. One thing is for sure - they are realistic enough to be a useful learning aid for beginners and a training aid for the more advanced. We all use them.

BEB

That is very helpful advice Vecchio, I will have a look at your recommendations regarding the phoenix and real flight software, the trouble is I don't have anywhere to fly indoors, so aside from the rare winter day of nice weather, I think that learning on the simulator is my only real solution.

In response to Tim's suggestion of throwing a glider off the Clifton Gorge, if I'm going to spend money on a glider, I would like to use it more than just the once!!! lol

Welcome to the madhouse ColdTurkeY_UK

Lots of friendly helpfull chaps and lasses here and no question is too silly so do bear that in mind!!

Only word of warning..... please ignore Tim's slope mumblings....... many a person has fallen foul of his pressgang (including me!)

The very best of luck to you in your forthcoming years in this great hobby mate, and anything you need advice on will most surely be answered here

Welcome to the hobby. It can become a lifelong obsession.

Two points that have not been mentioned.

Accept the fact that you will crash models. It doesn't matter how long you model for or how experienced you are. You will crash . Less and less as time goes on. The true aeromodeller picks up the wreckage and goes home to repair it or build a new model.

I wrote off 5 control line models before I flew a single lap.

Second point.

Just to find out what it was like I bought a Real Flight Simulator. It seemed very good to me but I did find that finding the landing strip was almost impossible as you can't see where the run way is while the model is in the air. For the rest of the flying it was good.

Edited By Peter Miller on 29/10/2011 08:34:07

Hi, and welcome...
I reckon that your approach is just right...Trainer...instructor..insurance...club....
Do learn to build, it's an aspect of the hobby that is often neglected. Then you'll understand the structure of your models, and when the inevitable happens, and it will, you will be in a better position to fix things....Keep the questions coming

ernie

Hi Dan!

Welcome to this most ridiculous, yet absorbing, hobby.

As the others have said, take your time and relax as you learn. There's many a model been lost by a pilot trying to 'outfly' his own abilities. The clever stuff will come naturally later on!

tim (still learning after all these years)

Welcome from me as well Dan.

There's nothing like seeing what you've built defying gravity.

Another two models and you'll be flying that WW2 Warbird!