Gloster Gladiator Models

Bernard Chiswell

Advert

• 1 month later...

Hi bernard,

There are two options I am looking at myself, one is from the anglia model centre at56 span for60-90. The other I have managed to track down is from a chap named Phill Ramsey that produced a fibre glassed bodied 65 span for 90 2s or 120 4s,I know someone who owned one in the u.k and it flew and looked great,he does not do full production now,but will supply the one off if you are prepaired to wait a while,he can be contacted at 01323 811414 

• 3 weeks later...

The plan shows a Merco 60, but a couple of people on the rcmf website suggested it might be marginal with an older 60 2st.  I still haven't flown mine yet, but I've stuck an Enya 60 mk111 in it.  It's quite a bulky fuselage and cowl, so I shyed away from using my 65 4 st,  leaving the choice of the Enya 60 or an SC108 2st.  Traplet suggest 60-90 2st, so the 108 might end up powering it.

I would guess that a 75 4st would be a minimum for general flying, depending how light you can build it.  Even better would be a 90 4st - weight and bulk would not be an issue. 

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 19/09/2010 19:16:35

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Ive a sad tail to tell about a Brian Taylor Gladiator  One arrived at the field yesterday.It was beautifully built to scale,doen to the rivets.It was fitted with an SC 61 2 stroke.The story behind it was the guy who built it couldnt bring himself to  fly it,He son also declined,.The new owner Simon wasnt prepared to fly it for the builder either.He received a phone call and purchased the model.It was its maiden yesterday.1st attempted take off failed and it flipped over,only breaking the prop.2nd attempt failed,it needed more throttle and again flipped over.3rd attempt was successfullBut it was unbelievably underpowered..after a couple of struggling circuits,Simon turned to land a little to sharply without enough power and it tip stalled straight down.Although Simon considered it a write off I would have attemted to repair it. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I'm currently flying a Glad built from the old CAP kit.

Engine fitted is a J'En 90 2stroke (GREAT engine, fantastic power in a small package, but probably far too much for this air frame, still isn't that what the throtle is for?!).  Initial running was OK with everything set up as per plan except that on first flight had to use all down trim available on elevator to get it "straight and level"  After a fair bit of tinkering I took about 1.5 degrees of incidence off the top wing which seemed to relieve the situation somewhat.

After about twenty or so flights the wing spars gave way on 3 of the four wings!.  I suspect the much higher than recommended engine power meant the balsa spars simply weren't up to the job.  Fuselage as undamaged and after stripping the covering off the wings they were also salvaged apart from the bottm centre section which I replaced.  I cut out the balsa spars and replaced them with 3/16 square spruce and have been happily flying the model ever since (about two years now)

I'd recommend this model to anyone looking for a standoff scale Glad.  It looks great in the air, goes where you put it, and is really nimble (hands off inverted no problem!)

Martyn, its funny you should mention the wing collapse, and here I must make a confession, my Gladiator started life from the CAP plan, but after 4/5 flights the wings folded up. Not best pleased I ordered the BT plan from which I  made new wings. I married up to the CAP fuselage but using BT wing indices and mounting method. With a Saito 91fs the Gladiator flew (still flies) like a trainer.

Glad to know after all these years the wing folding may not be down to my building! I was tempted to build a 72" version but settled on the 72" Fairey Swordfish from the traplet plan for my 2011 project.

I wasn't too sure about the balsa spars on the plan when I got it but decided to go with the plan following the old addage that "the designer knows best".  Just goes to show that gut instincts can be right even without years of buiding experience (this was only my second ever kit build).

I couldn't believe how well the fuselage stood up to the crash.  She came down from about 80 feet and hit the side of a ditch head on.  The cowl took the brunt of the crash and split.  However the fuselage itself was completely undamaged.  The cowl was repaired with a bit of class cloth and car repair resin.

The wing repair was a bit tricky but once done (with the spar webbed as well) the wings were so much stiffer I was confident that all would be OK.  I was even able to reuse most of the covering (Profilm) which had had been able to remove in complete pieces.  If anyone ever says Profilm is not worth the extra few quid over its rivals DON'T BELIEVE THEM.  It is truly marvelous stuff.

after all this time mine is still unflown - care to guess why?

A - I didn't think the wings were stiff enough for safe flight.   I keep intending to replace the upper spars, but other jobs get in the way.   Maybe I should just bite the bullet and write off all the silver solartex currently covering the wings, strip them and replace all the spars.

I recentlt had to repair my 1:5 scale camel wing after a "heavy landing"!  These were covered in Solartex.  I was able to remove the covering in its original pieces and re-apply the same pieces after the repair.  Just needed to be careful where the roundelsa were painted on so the iron didn't lift the paint!  After the repair you couldn't tell the 'tex had been off.  Definately worth a go (it's too expensive just to strip off and throw away!)

Best of luck

I have an example of the Phil Ramsey Gladiator, found at the Nats bring & buy a couple of years ago.  Its very nice, flying with a zenoah 20 which just about fits inside the cowl. My guess is that with a 'normal' glow motor, it would need an additional housebrick up front to balance.

Apart from a pretty rubbish canopy, it makes into a very nice model, just small enough to get into my car ready assembled. (very important)

I haven't seen any mention of PR kits for years.When they were being made, they were quite expensive.

Nice model photos in this thread. I have a pic of mine somewhere, I'll try to find it.

good luck with yours

stu k 

I dug out the CAP and BT plans for the Gladiator, although I dont know if the CAP kit follows the plan. The BT plan is 1/4 balsa spars with webbing both sides of both spars.  The CAP plan is 3/16 balsa spars with full depth 3/16 centre section spars and no webbing. You can draw your own conclusions.

Like you I assumed designer knows best , I don't make these assumptions anymore.

I would assume if you replaced the 3/16 spars for 1/4" and added webbing it should give the wing suffcient strength.

Fortunately in my case when the top wing folded followed by the bottom wing, the plane just about autorotated into terra firm and the U/C took the force of reentry. No damage at all apart from my ego.

On a positive note it was doubly satisfying to rebuild the wings and actually get it flying really well.

As an aside this is the predecessor to the Gladiator, the Gamecock, just finished a few weeks back and  flies just as well. From the Gordon Whitehead plan.

Edited By Mike L on 09/12/2010 15:11:18