Oh dear, winter's here, how much flying are you getting in?

Yes the club is on top of an old mica dam, so you don't want that stuff in the carb I can tell you. Alot of us use a stand or table of various homemade designs to get the models going. It keeps the grit from being sucked in ( and helps the knee joints aswell).

Advert

What a lovely afternoon!

Good turnout at the club and several new members and only two noisy IC engines all afternoon!

Several flights with the WOT4E Balsa against a blue sky - just for fun!

Rainbow still a great favourite and reliable ( that's the kiss of death then!). Couple of pottering about flights with a few aeros and flypasts - much admired by the local populace!

Then the Graupner Elektro Junior cast into the sky to mix it with the buzzards after a 4month lay off

Home and log fire and sausage, mash, cabbage and Bisto gravy - there is life after Winter!

Terry

Not been flying since before Christmas.frown. Main reason hasn't been the weather a total knee replacement just before Christmas sort of put me out of commission.

The good news is that I have been told that I can drive again so as soon as I've finished the jobs which have had to wait, I'll be back on the slope again.

Malcolm

Edited By Malcolm Fisher on 18/02/2012 20:26:17

Sorry Guys - after the -8C night and heavy frost there was this lovely blue sky and light winds so a spur if the moment decision was made after lunch - van packed and off to the piste!

8 flights in all.

3 with my rebuild PZ Me 109 foamie - still not flying true but manageable except for the bouncy u/c legs which works like a trampoline and reminiscent of my Fun Cub's u/c!! May have to remove the u/c as they are annoying in flight and make every landing unpredictable and land on the grass (what grass!).

3 with the Wot 4 - just for fun - its a great plane!

2 with the Rainbow doing circuits and bumps and, as always at our strip, practising x wind landings.

Home with a rosy warm glowing face (could it be a touch of sunburn?)

Spring is on the way chaps!!

Terry

We had a beautiful afternoon at our field today. Quite a few turned up to enjoy the conditions. Havent seen so many since last summer wink I maidened my travel air with its Jen`57. The jen is every bit as powerful as I thought it would be and the travel air just needed a bit of up trim for level flight. We had a few "breakages" which was surprising. Maybe the pilots were a bit rusty. crook

Anyhow, as the weather seems to be getting better perhaps its time for a new thread. Or perhaps I`m being to optimistic dont know

Well, managed 2 hours this morning, before the usual Oklahoma winds started to pick up.

Managed to maiden both my home built 40" shocki on the field outside the house, then the little Electrifly/Great Planes electric Nieuport 11. When I ran out of Lipos, out came the Corsair, GOD!, i do like this plane, with the 91FS on full throttle on a low pass, with everything tucked away, she looks and sounds awesome.

This was the first time i'd flown in about a month, which is surprising - I normally get out at least on a Sat morning. That said, i've now proved both the Shocki and the Nieuport can be flown on the playing fields infront of the house, so now theres no excuse!devil

A nice 3 hours this afternoon. Usual suspects flown (Wot 4 XL and Ryan STA). Shame the day was spoilt by one of the guys losing a helicopter. Looked like a mechanical failure as far as I could tell. Still all the batts have beencharged ready for tomorrow. Might take my rebuilt Nieuport 28 for a try out. I got the Evolution 26 sorted out at home the other day so I might give it a gosmiley. The weather hasn't been too bad so far this year as I've managed to get through 2 gallons of fuel since the new year!!

Andy

Hi

Not much difference between winter and summer in Scotland so i've been flying right thro'. Wednesday, Friday and Sunday are our usual days and there's always a few half wits turn up no matter what the weather. You don't have to be mad to be in this hobby but it is an advantage.

Wind..............what wind?????????

Alwyn

Good turn out today, and as suggested by Tim, hopefully the end of winter is very near.

There was a good turn out too, of very expensive moulded F5J (I believe they are called), you know the things, £2,000 airframes, +£100 motors, together with £100 gearbox, etc etc. One pulling +800w, and capable of 1 Kw, apparently.

Then there is me with my -£20 airframe, £8 motor, +£10 servos (for 20)crying 2crying 2

They all fly though, well that is when all the computer mixes are sorted out. This vital operation seems to take +2hrs of pre-flight checks. In my case, thank God for Waltronsmile d

Another good day at our field. Beautiful afternoon for flying. Strangely, not as many pilots as yesterday.

I managed to persuade a club mate to maiden my seagull texan t6 for me. Its been ready for about a year but have been waiting until I felt more confident I could control a more scale like model. I was expecting it to be a bit of a handful but it was really stable and steady to fly. Although my subsequent take off took 2 attempts. Take offs seem to be the hardest part of flying semi scale tail draggers. Still, practice makes perfect.

Nice day but my luck was out this weekend, came in to fast and hard with the super cub and pulled the fire wall off as the prop hit the ground, next up was my mentor all controls working ok before take off, as i climbed out and turned right the model whent upside down and came down nose first, ripped both alierons off,motor damaged, 1 servo gear damaged, some damage to the wing.

checked all servos and found one alieron servo not moving when i moved the sevo extension lead from the receiver to the alieron the servo came to life , will have to put some new leads on .

1 model now fixed 1 to go.

Dave

Lovely day down at the field, little breeze, blue skies. Maidened the Black Horse Super Air. Found out that the chiselled wing tips, though looking lovely, do give the plane a slightly viscious tip stall when too low. My own fault- came in low and slow but turned out I was slightly lower and further away than I thought when I saw the plane dip below the barrier hedge. Gave it a squeeze of up elevator as I thought I had enough air speed to convert some into height- turned out I didn't. Tip stall. Out popped the wing nut retaining plate, ripping the (admittidly weak) covering in the process. Some epoxy and solartrim will sort it....

Nice plane though.