Oh dear, winter's here, how much flying are you getting in?

Advert

A sudden decision after lunch found SWMBO and me alone at the club armed with my PZ Me 109G, Phoenix Rainbow and the SF Cessna 185 (with a new ESC!)

Very cold but bright and fairly calm except for some surprising gusts now and again.

Cessna first off to give it a trial after the new ESC was fitted - fine - she is a lovely simple scale like flyer so long as you don't want to roll her!

Second was the Me109G - better flight than the re-maiden last week but you know that feeling when it isn't really flying right?? Nice landing not displaying any of the torque/narrow u/c vices expected on t/o and landing but haven't had the courage to use the fully functioning inner and outer flaps yet! Need to check the geometry I think. The main plane is the one from the maiden crash so I'll give it a good look at again!

Then SWMBO went on the buddy box and had 2 x flights on the left thumb only (mode 1 naturellement!) and did really well - you never know ..............................

Finally gave the Rainbow a lively flight with such aeros as a Rainbow will oblige with and flew really well.

The cold then set in and so home for a cuppa!

Nice to get some fresh air!

Terry

Sometimes I question my sanity! Anyway saw the bright sunshine this morning and thought go fly! It didn't matter it was - 2deg, while there was a gentle cross wind I could put up with the cold. I took my hack the Cmpro Leo with a 120 f/s. After the first flight couldn't feel much of my fingers, but hey ho warm them up on the cooling silencer (not good I know). Second flight fine but half way through the third the crosswind got up with a vengeance (14mph apparently) and there's me thinking I am not going to get this down in one piece. I had three goes at landing and I had said my silent good byes to my Leo. Anyway on the fourth attempt with full concentration she came in, albeit a little quickly, and kissed terra firma without fuss. Phew! another lucky escape, but all those days flying in windy weather seemed to have paid off all in one. Will that stop me from doing that again? No of course not!

Unlike Adrian, here, in the North West, the sun has shone brightly all day. Not a breath of wind, oh, all right then, perhaps gusts at 2mph. What about the temperature? By lunch about 2C..

With my wife on baby sitting duties, in Ilkley and me having done my stint on Wednesday and Thursday, with her, I was free to go and play. Going to Ilkley was an excuse to call in at RCModels at the end of the A56 in Haslingden for some Depron sheet. So not all bad news.It is while doing these duties I am amazed how many hours at ridiculous times and durations that hospital doctors do.

So come lunch, it was of to the field. It is becoming a trend, me being first, yet again.

Tramping into the field I did a quick survey, and spotted 3 Lapwings a couple of small birds, which my extensive knowledge confirmed that they were indeed small birds. I also spotted something bright ruby red. This I decided I must investigate, thinking it could be a model, perhaps lost in a tree and now it had blown down. In fact it turned out to be a deflated helium balloon, with a message "Stvie, you are now with the stars" with two signatures Stephanie and Ivan. It had been there some time as it was frozen to the ground. Anyway, it could not stay there, if the farmer were to put cows in the field it could be eaten, it looked both interesting and possibly good to a cow.

With such perfect weather I had decided my recalcitrant model, the one I had decided to replace with TH "Clean Sweep", was to fly.

Now a decision had been made I was no longer that bothered what happened to it. A good job it turned out. After crashing, numerous times as a result of tip stalling, when pulling loops, turning. Suffering from failed ESC, overheating motor. Numerous mods had been tried to resolve the issues, some more successful than others. Anyway a hand launch and it was away, climbing quite steeply. I throttled back a little, and fed more down trim in, still not enough. By now I had done a number of circuits, still not quite right, I just started to fly around the issue, when I realised it was climbing strongly again. I also noticed that when turning, up elevator was not keeping the nose up. Then the inevitable happened, whilst debating if I should land, I turned for home, the nose went down, no amount of up would stop it diving. With a loud crunch, it disappeared from site as it hit the wrong side of a Hawthorn Hedge.

On retrieval of the model, I noticed I had, full flap and strangely one elevator half level and the other down, with no apparent response from the models equipment. Although I had charged the Nicad over night I assumed that the battery had failed or become unplugged.

The rest of the session went without any further trauma, although the previous issue was at the back of my mind.

On getting home, a check of the Nicad was showing 5 volts, which was higher than I had thought it could be (4.8v assumed). The Rx was not doing anything other than clicking the servos on, increment by increment, not related to the stick commands. I decided to rebind, it was having none of it. Seems that I am down one 35 Rx, and a recalcitrant model damaged.

Amazingly, given what a lovely day it was, not one other modeler came.

Had a generally good day today. Got to the field about 11 this morning. Took the trusty Wot 4 XL, my Ryan STA and my 1/4 scale Nieuport 28. Some good flights with the Ryan and Wot 4. I decided to give the Nieuport a go. I'd recently re-engined it with an Evolution 26 and was looking forward to giving it a good thrashing. Good ground run and warm up and she was off like a scolded cat! Had a fly around jut turned down wind for a low level pass and "cough" "cough" silence Tried to get it down on the short crop but unfortunately I hit rut and it flipped the plane. Write off. Took the top wing clean off smashed the tail up, damaged both lower wings and ripped all the cabane struts out of the fuselage. On stripping it down tonight I found that the pump on the walbo carb had failed. Looks like the diaphram has split. There was fuel all over the place just not going in the engine.
Oh well time to dust off my tiger moth get it recovered and get it back in the air. No way can I be without a bipe!!

Andy

Oh, No!

I have just charged a couple of models for Tommorow (Sunday). Although not a fan of cold weather, however clear the sky, light is the wind. Crisp air and frozen ground does not press many of my buttons.

I now look out of the window, snow is falling, it is slowly piling into a layer on the frozen ground. It is also apparent there is quite a breeze. The big question is will the snow stay, will the wind drop?

Thankfully my wife has made it over the Pennines from Yorkshire, in her car. She said it much colder up around Colne, the reservoir between Colne and Crosshills has a covering of ice.

The big question, will it get worse, will I want to try and make it down the country lanes, never mind stand in a field?

I just wonder what is happening else where?

At the moment it is a lovely sunny day down here on the central south coast, about 2 degrees and almost no wind. Supposed to be a bit of snow this evening but soon turning to rain, and then tomorrow should be fine and dry. I hope to fly in the morning if the forecast is correct.

I had several flights yesterday morning, it was lovely and sunny although cold of course, but not bad at all with only about 4 mph winds

Andy

had a bit of a fly this morning but stopped when the sleet and wind arrived.
supposed to be a bit warmer tomorrow,round this neck of the woods(runcorn,cheshire)
and less wind.

Brilliant sunshine here but maxing at -2c today with a gusting 20kph northerly (brrr!) and another -8c night ahead

I'm in a 'fettling' mood in the hangar at present and I've been working on the ST Models Fox to see if I can make it any more enjoyable to fly. Removed the nose, replaced the bell motor with a 200W BL, used a 30A ESC instead of the supplied iffy one, connected it all up and it promptly almost shook the nose off.....

Prop was balanced, shaft seems true but just doesn't want to run smoothly. Re-fitted the bell motor (which is 10A, burst 15A), fitted a new folder with a 10x8 prop and it draws 13A max, nice and smoothly.

Had to test-fly despite the conditions - the air feels calmish near the house which is protected by woods to the north but, once over the trees, it was a roller-coaster ride! Not helped by the C of G being a bit rearward and a lack of ballast in the model I somehow got it down within 20 yards of me.

C of G sorted, it was up again for a quickie - much better, more than enough power but this model doesn't like gusts and takes some driving.

Safely down and put away for when the wind drops.........

Pete

Well i am looking out at the falling snow while making a set of skis -( finally got round to it) not sure whether to fit them to the swallow 90 or the piper cub ? ... and while the epoxy sets i am also converting an old airboat to r/c to see how it runs on snow - so it i cant it up to the airfield i can try the airboat in the local park .

arrived at the field about 11.30 and was the only one there was going to turn around and go home just as i was setting the model up another member turned up, it must of been
about -1 and the wind was about 10-15 mph just on the limit for the cub, we had 2 10 min flights and decided it was to cold and gusty to carry on , to cold for us Down south
Dave.

Seems I must be the only fool in the club.

I went to the field, reckoning, as the field lies just of a bus route, the road would be salted. Getting there did not involve much trauma, other than old age, has me railing against young whipper snappers, who insist on driving as it is a warm sunny day.

Anyway as I approached the field, i looked across snow covered fields, through bare hawthorn hedges, seeking those hardy souls called modellers, all in vain. Arriving at the field, pulling into lay-by, not a tire tread despoiled the virgin snow. No, the rest of the club had more sense than me, additionally the fog was much denser here.

So off home I went.

All was not lost, out came my park flyer, and into the park I went. After no more than two minutes, I concluded, flying in light mist and the cold is not much fun. The camaraderie makes the difference at the field, in the park it is just negatives, cold, misty, snowy, and that typical British damp winter snow.

Back home, I had that coffee, started on the next stage of my rip off Depron model. Someone else s basic design, changed to suit my thoughts, simplified, uglified, and made more robust at the cost of ultimate performance. While planning the TH, Clean Sweep, build.

well i flew both days.

about 1 inch of snow on the ground made belly landings softer, though it tends to get in the motor.

broke the nose on sat morning, fixed and flying again sat afternoon.

sunday was colder and snowy but still a nice day.

flown morning and afternoon again.
had to give up as my thumbs were numb.

Nice morning down 'ere in North Devon.
No snow, blowing 12+mph NNW & 7C.............so off to Woolacombe.
DaveM and Skubdoo turned up and we all managed to fly what we had brung.
Conditions eased off towards the end of the session until the only thing that would stay aloft was my Alula.
Still, managed to fly the Weasel, Speedo, Blaze, 2.9m Condor and the Alula.
3 hours on the slope and we put the world to rights as well.

Well I had 2 models to maiden and I've been waiting for a day like today. Not too cold almost zero wind and the sun is shining. SO waiting on a friend we finally made it to the field around 1. First model ( a depron flying wing) Up she goes... no wait upside down oh watch left then right avoid the ground PULL UP PULL UP. Hmm CG might be a tad off. Don't take what you learn from you tube for gospel. Second model. Koyosho BF 109. Open up throttle and she is away on half and about15 yards. Nice steep climb and a few clicks here and the she is away sweetly. Anyway long story short the first flight was 5 mins and the second was 4 on the same battery. The second landing the undercart wouldn't come down ( I might have been hitting the wrong switch), So we landed her in the grass. An hour has gone past the two of us flying. getting ready for the third flight on a new battery the fog rolls in. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

And it looks like bad weather for the next week or so.

That's my story.

Zaidy and I escaped the workshop for a few hours today, and enjoyed some gentle sloping up the Orme with the weasels,

.....and then as the wind dropped to virtually zero we cheated a little, and had some nice quiet electric fun with the rippy spits

A very pleasant couple of hours, on a chilly, but bright clear winter day.

Lovely

Off to our weekly indoor evening session later for some shockie / vapor fun