Xmas on the big Rock.

Grey Wet and Windy - that best sums up events for this years Xmas slope fly for fun at the Great Orme. Just to rub salt in the cold wet wounds, here's a reminder of the weather we enjoyed at previous years events

And Kevin ( iawnski) provides the chuck wagon.

2009 - note the lovely skies again as Kev gets Andy postie's "Le Fish" away!

Darren Millar braces himself against the liffty stuff

And my dear old now retired WT 46" takes on its sibling

2010 gave us light lift, but glorious weather again.

And so back to today
This is the view as I arrived just after 10AM.

I think thats PSS supremo Phil Cooke I see pulling on some wet weather gear

Yup...its Phil - all the way up from Derby complete with obligatory silly hat

Were joined a few minutes later by another PSS stalwart - happy chappie Steve Kemp from Bolton area - glad to see the hat rule is being followed lads

Heres my effort - well with only around 40MPH blowing straight in yer face, one needs a windsock doesn't one.

Im first out with a quick zap around with my microfloh, followed quickly by Phil and Steve with sea fury, and hawk respectively.
Next up is my Saab Grippen, flying all the better for its 1lb of lead ballast.

Soon were joined by another idiot - my auld mate Tom Naylor from Whitchurch in Shropshire - keen to throw his Le Fish, and SAS Fusion off the edge.
Cheer up Tom, I never promised sunshine mate

Soon to join us is local lad Richard "countdown" Whitley with his wildthing antics.
Some say he only comes for the exercise .
I say he needs to change that look and leave some buns for me

Local lad Andy "postie" Threadgold tries to count past 3, whilst Tom shows his disapproval of the finger method .

Advert

My mate John Bowman is next to brave the elements - and I hope JB got a few shots of the models - but wouldnt be surprised if nothing turned out in the pretty grim weather conditions.

Bringing up the rear, from Crewe in Cheshire, is fellow forumite and recent slope addict Ian Jones - slaving all morning over freshly baked scones - complete with jam and squirty cream - ....nice one Ian

Tom, you really must get over it mate

So, to sum up, it was pretty grim TBH - we even had hail a couple of times, and that stings yer nose when its sideways at 40 MPH. Factor in the windchill factor, and the 4 degrees showing on the gauge converts to coooooold

Despite all of that, everyone still put on a brave face and flew - a good assortment of stuff, everyone went home with everything in one piece - if a little soggier.

Are we mad or what ??

Good craic as always, and I want to thank everyone who made the effort - especially as many had travelled a good distance too - thanks guys.
The weather could have been worse...after all, we could have had two feet of snow

Happy Christmas guys

Edited By Tim Mackey on 04/12/2011 18:44:16

Posted by Tim Mackey on 04/12/2011 17:58:33:

Bringing up the rear, from Crewe in Cheshire, is fellow forumite and recent slope addict Ian Jones - slaving all morning over freshly baked scones - complete with jam and squirty cream - ....nice one Ian

I suppose if I had had my wits about me I would have made rock buns

nice one Tim - a big thanks for pulling the 2011 Xmas Fly-In together - I guess we can't grumble about the temperatures - it was December 4th after all! A bit of a shame the rain was so persistant in the afternoon (the hail in 40mph winds was just comedy on the bare face with a scale model in the air ) - but we got some good flying in at times, particularly in the morning for those that were there earliest!

As usual, a great laugh with a friendly bunch of slope nutters... and like you said a nice mix of models and far too many Christmas buns...

My PSS Hawk and Sea Fury are now sat airing themselves dry in the garage, a broken wing bolt on the Fury is the only evidence of a days flying - my Christmas hat is still flashing its 'comedy' electric bauble as the switch broke off in the cold temps...

Until next time we meet on the big rock... Merry Christmas to all!

Posted by Tim Mackey on 04/12/2011 17:54:59:

And Kevin ( iawnski) provides the chuck wagon.

Darren Millar braces himself against the liffty stuff

And this is an example of the "good" year?! And you honestly can't understand why I'm not there!!!!

It's not the cold - its the wind I couldn't be doing with! 4C isn't that cold - last year I was flying down at the strip at -4C!

But googles, wind suits, balacalvas - just to fly, mmm, I'll stick with the strip. Mind you that wasn't any better today!

BEB

Despite far less than ideal weather conditions I enjoyed the day immensely, a sort of triumph in the face of adversity is the way I see it, an acheivement . (As he pops another hail stone out of a nostril "Fats" style).

Good to meet up again and meet some faces new to me too.

I managed some pretty dodgey landings but my last one was nearly decent and definitley in the LZ.

I realised how wet and knackered I was when I got in the car so I flung my coat off and changed my trousers (I don't know what that couple in the other car thought I was doing but they stayed and watched until I finished ). Then I had a snooze before the journey home. I dreamed that there had been a fantastic sunset, then I woke up and looked out of the window...

Great day - thanks Tim for bringing us all together & thanks everyone for being "jolly good eggs".

Posted by iawnski on 04/12/2011 19:27:41:
you nutters but it looks like you had a bit of sun and all had a fly ,well done to the ones who travelled from a far,really, sorry i missed it im gutted ,some great photos keep up them trad hats they look so coooolllll

Edited By Tim Mackey on 04/12/2011 21:42:13

Err, which pictures are you looking at kev? Sun ?? no way mate

• 2 weeks later...