How is our hobby viewed by others

Phil 9

Why is the image of our hobby so poor and will it ever be seen in a positive light by the rest of the general population. Modelling in general seems to have a bad press with model trains and aircraft being at the top end of the “GEEK” scale.

Work on cars or full size aircraft at the weekend and you have a manly hobby but models? In reality is the main difference only the budget.

I tend to hold back on telling people about my hobby for fear of their reaction. When I do I tend to get a snigger followed by the term geek but then show them a model and they all want a go.

Am I just a little over sensitive? I would love to hear others views and experiences.

Advert

I have no problems with telling others about my hobby, it is geeky but so what? You should hear the cyclists if you want geeky.
ps - show them a photo of a 120 powered model and explain that it's got 2HP up the sharp end and they tend to realise it's not exactly toy aeroplanes in the park.

Maybe a little sensitive but challenge those who sneer.

Get then to come out with you for a session, and if you can, get them having a go on a buddy box with you.

If you are lucky, they will be challenged in the same way you and I are and you may gain some flying buddies who you can geek together with.

The general public I have met in the park are usually fascinated and after I land they normally come over and have a chat.
If they have kids in tow and your model is light, put it in the parents and then in the kids hands.
Watch the kids faces when you do this.
See the "dad, I want one of those" looks.
If you are lucky the dad may have the same expression too.

as above usually when im out with a park flyer it attracts a lot of attention and interest especially edf`s, ive only ever had negative comments from miserable bored (ex) girlfriends that dont like sitting at the field for too long,
also a few weeks ago i was out with my leccy glider on some school fields where i fly sometimes and according to the coach i ruined the football training that was happening at the time as 90% of the kids wernt concentrating cos they were watching me insted. ( its 3 seperate fields on 3 decending levels and i was on the bottom field they were on the top in an enclosed all weather pitch before the H&S folk get cross ) i think its that just not a lot of people ever come across our sport so dont really have any idea of what we do

A lot of people see our models as toys untill they realise that some can take hundreds of hours in the build and that some builders are really genius standard enginners who can fabricate something from odd bits in the workshop and end up with a fully flying model. I used to get it a lot when flying my heli's untill I explained that my heli can do things that full size machines can't i.e. hover upside down but mostly people are curious and want to know more and on the whole that must be a good thing, get more into the hobby, keep the LMS happy and possibly boost the local club numbers.
So I do not mind talking about my hobby and showing my models.

I took my indoor heli to work a couple of years ago. Was flying it in a space, when one person grabbed my TX and pulled the 2.4 aerial off. He said I shouldn't fly it, as it's dangerous. Damaged my TX, and don't bother with those idiots, as they are all football mad and call me dork, or geek. No interest at all.

ps. I wasn't flying dangerous, but those MCX co-axial blades look like they could chop finders off. oh dear.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 06/12/2011 21:30:04

Sorry you had that sort of experience Paul, I have only ever had positive curiosity then I do tell people I play with toy planes, that tends to get them to question what I mean after which it doesn't seem so odd and they end up convincing me its a good thing and wish they had a similar hobby themselves.

My club patch is a little removed from the public so we don't see passers by, but I pop across to the park early mornings and have done for many years and in the process made a few friends, mainly the dog walkers - they tell me they like to watch the models fly and it's surprising how many know model flyers or have a model making or aircraft interest.

Top tip - always remember to smile, even if people just stare, always smile, a smile opens doors   

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 07/12/2011 07:55:32

I live with people (Mum+Dad) who seem to want to question me on why someone would spend a vast amount of money on 'toy' planes, but yet they are glued to the sky when they are at the field or the garden. My Dad tends to ask more questions than i do, and encourage me to spend money at the shows... He says that he doesn't mind flying in the garden but not at a field, yet he talks to members at the field and always seems to say it has a nice atmosphere. Confusing.. . I haven't come across anyone else that has said the same, everyone else seems to want to learn and watch the models fly.....

A tale similar to Paul Marsh. Back in the 80's I was watching a small group(4/5) of intermediate flers at a park area near the docks in Ipswich. They were all flying small lightweight 2ch gliders. One chap mis judged his landing and the gliders wing tip brushed the leg of a woman(wearing long coat and trousers) walking with her partner. I doubt the glider weighed more than 8oz and was travelling at walking pace or less and absolutly no injury was caused. I think she saw it rather than felt it. But, despite profuse appologise, the woman jumped up and down repeatedly with both feet on the glider and stated that she would report the incident to the police/council and anyone else who would listen. They both then stormed off. If she had been hit by a tenis ball/football it would have hurt but would she have reacted the same??? I think not.

Posted by Peter Miller on 07/12/2011 08:28:57:
Ken, was that Diana D....No, probably before your time.

she was a Real woman...... anyway---one of my neighbours is a bit of a 'macho' type....... i was talking to his wife ... and she mentioned that he had a train layout-- but didn't like people to know---as it went against his image....sad---when we live in a time where other's will put a label on you--and if you dont fit the 'type'...you are sidelined/ridiculed and all the rest.....me..... i happy with my hobby and the friends i have met through it(most of them) ...and as an aside i used to 'keep' tropical fish........now its out... ....so enjoy away to your hearts content...and dont worry about others....

ken anderson ne...1 hobbies dept.....

Relationship to the modellers we saw in famous movie: "The flight of the Phoenix",
directed by Robert Aldrich.In a briliant role of model plane designer ,we saw Hardy Kruger.......Younger colleagues could see a remake in 2004. with distinc role by Giovanni Ribisi and directed by William Aldrich !
note:People generally shy from the technically talented lads (modellers)...lol

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 07/12/2011 11:48:37

My wife is totally disinterested in my model flying obsession, as long as I don't spend too much money. I have to arrange visits to shows and club events around trips and holidays that she arranges, but then I suppose I should really. I ring fence the dates for big events like the club BBQ & flying weekend and Wings & Wheels show and fit in flying when I can. Someone did say to me once at a social occasion when the subject of men's hobbies came up 'why don't you play golf like other men?' I can't repeat my reply to that one!

Hi all, a few years ago we lost our flying area ( ex ww2 airfield) for a little while.This site had no visitors exept people who knew we were flying there and were interested.We then flew in an area that was frequented by the public, and they came to see us flying and enjoyed themselves. A little later we moved back to our original area, and I was being asked by the public why we moved and that they were sorry to see us go. Not all the public are against us. Cheers

Posted by buster prop on 07/12/2011 11:51:33:
My wife is totally disinterested in my model flying obsession, as long as I don't spend too much money. I have to arrange visits to shows and club events around trips and holidays that she arranges, but then I suppose I should really. I ring fence the dates for big events like the club BBQ & flying weekend and Wings & Wheels show and fit in flying when I can. Someone did say to me once at a social occasion when the subject of men's hobbies came up 'why don't you play golf like other men?' I can't repeat my reply to that one!

when people see the models at public events or just come across them at the field thoes interested will come and have a look. people not interesred just stay away.

but I think my orginal point is more about at social occations. golf, motor sport people understand and even if not their thing they wont laugh at the idea. but the initial recation to rc modeling from thoes who dont know much about it is it is a srange thing to do with your soare time if not a little sad. But then ask them what they like and they say football even though they may not have been to a match for years and their weekend are mostly spent in front of the box (I am generalising a bit)

I attended a static R/C model display as part of my club duties last year
at a local summer fete type event - bouncy castle, kids 5-a-side, burger
vans etc.
Over the day a few hundred people visited the event but the vast majority
showed no interest in the models on display. A few stopped & looked
& one or two asked how much they cost but few showed any real interest.
No sarcastic remarks or cynicism however - just indifference.
A flying display would have been better but was out of the question on space
& safety grounds.

At the time I was quite surprised at the lack of interest, but on reflection
this is about what should be expected. Most people aren't interested!
People do occasionally turn up at the field & watch, & they are always
treated in a friendly & helpful way by club members I've found.

It's perhaps best not to talk too much about models to J.Public unless
they're interested, to avoid turning into the model flying version of the
golf bore