All things SAS wildthing

Advert

Surely the whole point of DLGliders is to hurl the damn thing up high and far enough to get into to any light lift which may be there.... The wildthing is not designed for thermal gliding so even if the launch was successful, it aint gonna fly very well anyway.
Of course this posting did start off very close to April 1st

When I tried to discus launch my Zaggi it was just because me and a friend of mine were bored and wanted to see if it was possible.  Of course as you say Timbo under normal circumstances there is no point as these type of models are not particularly suited to light conditions anyway.  
Ollie

Wifey has just finished her new Wildthing - had a little help from me ( as lets be honest a COMPLETE beginner to aeromodelling would struggle with the crude pictures and instructions ) but pretty much did the work herself.
It now awaits its top coat courtesy of Matthew 

I prefer the WT with a bit more wind. Mine was great today. Completely different to flying the blizzard and I flew it until I ran out of RX battery. Trying low passes, touch'n'gos, inverted (fun!) and basically hooliganism. It just kept coming back for me even after I tentpegged it a couple of times.

I'm so looking forward to flying the fusion which is apparently a bit quicker. 

15-20 on a good slope is prime WT territory I reckon. Although you can - and certainly some off here have - fly them in four times that! Most I've flown is is pushing 40 and if you can launch them, they'll fly. Bit hairy downwind

They are great. Funny really enjoyed flying my new Blizzard but chucked WT for a bit of a break and was still flying it ages later. Great little sloper.

Wildthing out again this lunchtime. 30mph wind on the lip. First chuck, behind me, 60+ down trip got it away. Gusty as anything. But had a blast, lots of speed, marked out two fence posts by eye and went solo pylon racing. I was rubbish

But sorted out a landing routine (so I don't stall my blizzard in again I hope). Don't be scared of the downwind speed, that's what I've learned. Last 2 within 20 feet and smooth as a baby's behind.

Love chucking the WT about, it's just so much fun.

Don't be scared of the downwind speed, that's what I've learned.

I'd say that's the best way for a near beginner, which I still am (unless you dont mind going for a nice big walk)
I can land pretty well now but my first few landings were downwind, hence my new nickname.
Had a little bit of flying time today with my dad (Polyphilla) at our local site. Great fun!
Few decent landings and one or two downwinders. Which was either for the excitement of the speed, or because the wind had died off and I was forced to come In QUICK!.
Also had a good go of ridge soaring. Almost managed to tickle the hairs on my Dads nose a few times with the WT trailing edge.

Damn i love slope soaring hahaha!!!

Mikey "DL"

Edited By Downwind Lander on 08/04/2009 02:28:17

Edited By Downwind Lander on 08/04/2009 02:49:06

Amazing thing this slope soaring. Yesterday I thought the WT can teach me nothing, I am the master of this foam wing. Today in horrid scratchy lift, I found the downside of a very rearward CofG. I really started to understand how twitchy it was when I flew it into ANOTHER tree. Hawthorn if you're interested. Obviously the WT was completely undamaged, although it's hard to tell as it's pretty beat up nowadays.

Lovely evening for a walk tho. My one landing crabbing it sideways up the slope and dropping it 3 feet away, really didn't make up for my rubbish flying the rest of the time. 

As someone once said "somedays your the slugger, somedays your the ball"

Today I am the ball

I'm back!

No longer a coastal slope virgin

I have one word to describe flying off sea cliffs:

SMOOOOOOOTH!

MEGA lift. No sink. Smooth as silk. Consistent, predictable, endless... it's ace!

Having fought through brambles to reach the spot, I sat for hours flying with the seagulls and entertaining the beach bums. Tried to answer questions like 'have you got some remote control on that or what?' and 'does that have a propellor on it or what?' and received comments like 'it flies really well' .