Flair Legonaire re-build

jeff2wings

So before Myron sows any more seeds of indecision, LOL , smile p , I’ve started the covering , I will post just a couple of pics as there’s nothing of outstanding interest in the process , other than to say that the covering I’m using came from Giant Cod , 5m of silver and 5m of yellow for £30 ! it’s very much like profilm and just as good to use , I think it’s the same stuff that Seagull and Black Horse cover their models with .

• 4 weeks later...

O.k. after that short interlude after having to re-organise the home garage to get my Yam XJR and wife’s Harley in after an attempted brake in at our other garageangry , on with the cover up

Hinging aileron with film

Covering top of wing and aileron , bit wrinkly crook

That’s better , good stuff this covering from Giant Cod thumbs up

Before I cover the fuselage I need to route the servo leads into the radio bay ( now that’s a turn of phrase that dates me ! ) now on the f/s aircraft the ailerons are moved by torque rods in the upper wing by pushrods from the fuz

, so by using some ally tube for the fake pushrods I can feed the leads to where I need them.

Entry hole for leads

Tunnels for leads into radio bay

tunnels in place covered in 'tex

fake pushrods

Thanks Steve , not going overboard with the scale detail with this one , this one’s for flying. More pics of progress so far

Leads in ally tube are covered in heat shrink to lessen the chance of chaffing

throttle servo mounting

Modified throttle arm for easier alignment

Tank floor removable for access to throttle servo

Why are the pics so huge ?? dont know

Think I will have to keep a eye on you Steve and make sure your pointing the camera in the right direction ! laugh wink 2

Interplane struts made and mounted , just a few things to do now before final fitting out i.e. u/c leg fairings , head rest , tail skid, flying wire mounts and deciding on what cowl to use ?? indecision

• 6 months later...

Thanks bbc , glad some one is takeing an interest in my re-build !

Well had a bit of a near disaster with the fuel proofing ,after giving the solartex a couple of light coats of matt black acrylic and cut it back with wet&dry ,then a coat of Deluxe Materials aerokote by brush, then after leaving it to cure for the recommended time a second coat was applied that started to ”pickle" angry .This is the second time this has happened recently and it’s not been a problem before using this product , maybe it ‘s gone past it’s “shelf life”, any way, when dry I cut back (again) with wet& dry and have given it a couple of coats of Flair satin spray ‘fuel proofer’ ,nice ! smiley

Well Bob, I have a cunning plan , to give it a couple of coats of satin and then one of gloss that I have found to be (or not to be……. .) more ‘fuel resistant’ than the satin , only reason for doing this is I have two full cans of satin and an almost empty gloss LOL !laugh Once the gloss has dried fully I will matt it down with some 0000 wire wool and do the same for the film covering

• 3 weeks later...

Well some progress at last, at the fourth attempt I have a reasonable finish with the fuel proofersmiley ,I think the problem was mainly due to the fact that it was too cold in my “workshop” even with a heater going, in the end I did the spraying at work on Friday leaving it to dry over the weekend ,with that I have made up and applied all the markings ,need to get this done a.s,a.p. so I can get to grips with building a Lanier stinger 120 for a club mate.

105_3881.jpg

105_3886.jpg

105_3889.jpg

where the magic happens (sometimes !)

• 3 weeks later...