Flair Legonaire re-build

jeff2wings

Hello Jeff.A very nice re-build ,re-cycling at its best . I see you call this legionaire three . Have you flown the scout seriese legionaire before? . if you have no problems but if you haven't then you may want to know that they can be a so-and-so for ground looping . I had all sorts of problems with mine some years ago.I powered it with a Enya 60 FS .Once in the air It was a peach to fly , but getting up to air speed was at times difficult . The cure In my case was to fix the wheels to an axle so both had to turn together. No more problems after that .Another thing that may be of interest is that the plastic flair use for the wheels can be adversly affected by painting with the wrong sort of paint. I painted thewheels on mine with solarlac silver to match the silver tex covering . All was fine for a while then the plastic degenerated to a sort of egg shell cosistancy and shattered down to the hub one day while taxying !So beware. I sold it at the Plumpton show some years ago after many happy flights .Let us know how your model ground handles .

Well I have had a few of the Flair scout series , magnatilla , puppeteer , Fokker D7 and Legonaire x 3

, the legonaire being perhaps the less easy of them to handle on the ground , however I think this is because most people do not add any side thrust ( 3 deg min ) , without it the plane will swing hard left .My first legonaire ( bob ) built in 1994 had a Enya 46 fs in it and I have just replaced it with a O.S 46 Ts due to the Enya getting a bit tired .Think I must have used the right paint on both sets of wheels as they haven’t collapsed yet !!

And jeff usually gets 1st 2nd and 3rd in the vintage scale,builds unbelievably brilliant models,flies perfectly scale,even using the throttle to make the engine sound like its being controlled by the pilot and is sickenly talented as a flier,,and is a really nice bloke to,and all the club foggies are in love with his wife.

Thanks Steve , that last bit made I laff

So , the wings , well after a bit of thought I decided to scrap the lower wing as it was to damaged and I needed to increase the span buy one bay each side . I stuck with the original structure with 6x3 spars but from hard balsa , T.E. from medium wood and cut new ribs from 3 mm light ply and a larger L.E. from 9 mm sq wood , I did salvage the ply braces .

• 3 weeks later...

Well have got back into the icebox or the garage as it’s also known as , and finished the lower wing off , apart from the increased span I have added sheeting to the L/E as this was a feature on the 27/28 Nieuports , saves cutting all those riblets ! I have now started on the main wing , the right hand panel was completely broken away as a result of to soft wood in the spars , L/E and T/E , so I dismantled the wing saving the light ply ribs , it was then rebuilt the only mod being to replace the T/E with a solid section instead of a built up one , the I did much the same with the left hand panel.....hummm

Well it’s warmed up a bit today and I’ve got the calour gas heater going ( apparently it needs a gas bottle with gas in it  

so a bit more progress with the wings. I have decided not to fully sheet the center section so added some extra bracing with light ply where the servo box is located , also it means I can reduce the thickness of T/E cut out to improve the look.

need to make a new ailron

now that's more like it !!

BTW this is not my normal build standard , very ruff n' ready weekend flyer

Thanks for the comments FB3 but I think it’s my poor photographic skills that make it look good , not my wood working ones

I am using a two servo setup instead of a servo in the middle with pushrods as on the two previous models , luckily I “found “ some new mini servos in my servo box that I forgot I had ! LoL , it will make setting up the differential easier .

And as for the colour scheme it will be of the silver variety , but not the common French or British type

The reason I’m going for silver is that I intend to use profilm rather than a solartex finish in the hope of a lighter AUW , also with the modifications I have made , I think keeping the back end as light as possible can only be a good thing

Japanese N27 (Nakajima Ko .3 )

But this Turkish one looks good

And this one as well indecision !!?

Next job on the wing is to make the interplane strut mounting points , the original Flair ones are 1.2 mm steel plates with nuts soldered on ,some people have trouble with soldering and others with the plates pulling out although I never had these issues . So here’s an alternative way of making them

1. Use 1.6 mm m/s plate

1. Drill 2.4 hole and tap 3mm

1. fold a right angel

1. Cut out light ply anchors

1. Slot and rebate

1. Glue in position

And there you go , no chance of your nuts coming adrift or the plates pulling out smile

Well on the way now , added the strut mounting points to lower wing and replaced the twin dowel mounting pegs with a single central one , to do this I had to remove a couple of fuselage cross members to get access to drill the new hole .I then attached both wings to check there alignment for the interplane struts there ‘s a 20 mm difference in height ! frown After thinking about this with the help of a cup of tea I removed the 1/16 sheeting under the right hand strut so it sits on the hard wood mounting block in the wing .Bingo ! smiley spot on both sides , with that sorted the u/c was straightened out and re-mounted and a quick “ lets’ see how it looks now” photo

Jeff 2 Wings

Well if you use the antique linen coloured solartex at least you'll see some of the construction especially if the sun is shining.'tis what I used on the underside of my pupeteer with drab/olive green on the top surfaces. In someways I wished I'd covered it all over with the linen colour just so as to see the construction better.

Myron YO13 colour scheme dept

PS I think you might need a fin and a rudder wink 2 & of course a nice smelly SC 52 Fs up front or similar

(See mine on my album if you like )

You mean like this

Or this

You’re a very mischievous man Myron , it’s taken me ages to make up my mind and then you go and do that ......... however I’m sticking with the Japanese scheme , er, but that one with the black fuselage looks good with its skull & crossbones that’s very tempting , oh , and that one from No 1 squadron ......???! dont know