Flair Legonaire re-build

jeff2wings

Well against my better judgement I have decided to re-build a pile of matchsticks , er , I mean a Flair Legionaire that I got of e-bay ( after its owner cart wheeled it on takeoff and broke all the spars on the right hand wing panels ), mostly for its wheels and cowling , but then I thought “it doesn’t look that bad , I can fix that “ after all I have done it before......................

So here we go with Legionaire No 3 and while I’m at it I’ll make it into a Nieuport N27 as I will need to make a new tail and rudder anyway .So first of all strip down and repair/modify the fuselage

Yes , I’ve seen a few battered Beavers’ in my time as well Pete , mostly due to finger trouble. Anyway , the F1 former was removed an cleaned up and the fuselage side repaired along with the wing mounting struts , I also removed all the top decking in order to sheet in this part to make a hot air tunnel that exits at the cockpit . I then had to re-work the tail end as this was damaged when I tried to remove the covering from the tail plane that was so badly made with very soft wood that it fell to pieces !

Next up is to add the stingers to the side and top , this was all done by “ eye” with a bit of trial and error and a straight edge to get the shape of the side formers ! once satisfied that it looked right the sheeting was added to the sides , I added some ¼ wood on the corners for extra gluing area where the side and top sheets join , I also added extra wood for the same reason for the top sheet.

The top sheet was done in two pieces to make it easier to glue in place , plenty of pins and elastic bands for this ! Then just a case of a light sanding down of the joins in the sheeting and cut out the cockpit opening

Thanks for the link Bob , it was as a result of looking through my old back issues for something else that I came across the July 1976 RCM&E with DB’s N24 on the cover that inspired me to do the conversion of the legonaire , however I have decided to do the later N27 as I like doing the laminated outlines on the curved surfaces .

Steve , better hope Jan never gets sight of that post !!  LOL !

Edited By jeff2wings on 09/01/2012 23:32:26

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 09/01/2012 12:33:58:
many years ago I built a Boddington Neiuport from a pull out plan and opted for Italian colours, I still think they make for a natty scheme

Is that plan still available?

sure is - here! It was published as part of a dog-fight double with the plan for a D7.
Mine had a an OS19 and later a Taijet 25 for power and was quite a nice model from what I remember. The wrapped ply cowl and the U/C live on having been used to replace the plastic cowl and rigid wire U/C on my Veron 1 1/2 Strutter, and I've still got the wings and some fuselage bits in a cupboard upstairs.
One day...

the other part of the double act - D7

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 14/01/2012 11:10:07

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 14/01/2012 11:08:08:
sure is - here! It was published as part of a dog-fight double with the plan for a D7.
Mine had a an OS19 and later a Taijet 25 for power and was quite a nice model from what I remember. The wrapped ply cowl and the U/C live on having been used to replace the plastic cowl and rigid wire U/C on my Veron 1 1/2 Strutter, and I've still got the wings and some fuselage bits in a cupboard upstairs.
One day...

the other part of the double act - D7

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 14/01/2012 11:10:07

Thanks Bob. I remember it as a free plan back in the 70's and I always wanted to build it. I kept it the plans for years but lost them when I discovered girls

Having decided on the N 27 I need to make the distinctive tail and rudder , to do this I’ve used the laminated outline as it’s the strongest and lightest method of making curved shapes .First , make a former from card, wood ,pins or as I did mdf, then soak the wood in water then wrap round the former, hold in place with pins ,elastic bands or tape and leave to dry.Then remove and glue with sandable wood glue and replace on the former , I used pins for this bit as I needed to tweak the outline

I think that one of the few weak points of the Scout designs is that the centre sections are sheeted and very rigid, whereas the outer wings are open structures with quarter square spars. In a cartwheel, they all break the spars, usually adjacent to the centre section .

I have a Baronette which tipped onto the wingtip and did the spars in all three wings.

Might be worth thinking about quarter square spruce or extra sub spars to taper the stress out. - just a thought

stu k

Hummm , funny you should mention that ,but to be fair , this one was made from a “Mk 2 “ kit and the wood was very soft throughout the model , my first Legionnaire was made in 1994 and I have never broken the spars even when it nosed in from 50 ft after its tail was removed by a H9 Fokker D7 in mock combat , I will make some mods though