McAfee

Mal Quelch

I have been getting this problem for some weeks now, and am wondering if anyone else is having similar problems.

I spend most of my computer time browsing on here and thats when it `occurs`

A site search finds no hits so maybe not. Its very annoying and the `collecting information` process stops the website reloading, slows my computer down and leads me to come out without logging off etc only to do a restart and sometimes for it to re-occur minutes later.

I am not alone with this problem as the McAfee forum shows. It seems they are incapable of sorting it out as they are unable to duplicate it. I have sent many reports to them as requested so they must have at least somewhere to start!

I am frustrated and just looking for a possible common link if one exists. Am I alone?

Mal

Advert

Well thanks for looking, it seems I will just have to put up with it!!
It comes as `BT net protect plus` as part of the package I have, oh well maybe it is just me. Its just done it on Amazon as well. So far (touch wood etc) it hasn`t appeared on here yet. Its so frustrating !!

I use mcafree on all our computers,they do have probs sometimes that relate to certain machines.I brought my nephews a toshiba lap top each and the first mcafree update after loading crashed all 3.A few updates went by and i reloaded now everything works fine.
It'll prob cure itself overtime,not that that helps you now.

Just had a poke about after googling the sub-title of the thread and found this on a McAfee site dated yesterday:

There are 2 causes to this issue 1 is still unknown. The other is netguard or rather its reaction with site advisor. Try uninstalling site advisor and installing the beta version

Link

We are discussing this issue tomorrow in our call.

Any use?

Edited By Martin Harris on 09/01/2012 17:50:17

Been around PC's for as long as they have existed. My many years experience of McAfee and Norton is that sadly they are both obstructive and inadequate in equal measure.

There is a reason so many computer sellers pre-load McAfee to new machines, and it isn't it's quality!!

Avast Free is OK, but you do only get what you pay for.

Have used Kaspersky for many many years, thoroughly reliable and unobtrusive, also consistently reviewed as the one of if not THE best......... have never ever suffered any virus or other malware issues, nor slowdowns, lockouts, etc.

Oh, and don't gauge an anti-virus product by the number of updates, they have been known to be downloading you nothing just to appear to be doing something!!

Martin - thanks for that, I had already seen those. I came on here in desperation really.
What happens is a pop up appears stating that the `McAfee service host` has encountered a problem and has to close, do you want to tell microsoft about the problem ie send an error report. Thats all it says, nothing about the actual problem or even if it is being forwarded to McAfee or Microsoft. Reading through the collected error logs doesnt tell me much either.
As for disabling net protect, whatever for ? thats part of the supplied protection and may lead to other vulnerabilities.

Its the first time I have had a niggling problem that has not been resolved and thats going back to the 70`s on my first computer which was a home built UK101 (british OHIO superboard) much upgraded I might add as 2K of RAM wasnt a lot - but thats what the kit came with initially. Bring back DOS I say! You could do things with that!!

Well thanks all for your help looking etc, I`ll put up with it for a bit longer and see what happens and if it gets too bad then do something about it.
Again - many thanks
Mal

Hi Martin I`ll check in to that tomorrow as its nearly time for bed, and sorry it should have been netguard I think and not net protect. It would be better for McAfee to get a patch out in an update to my mind as then I would know they have identified the problem and have done something about it because it has been going on for a long time now. What happens when the next normal update comes out is what concerns me as that may cause conflicts with my meddling. Will check in the morning and if anything else comes to light I will let you know, thanks again.
Mal

I'll second what most others have already said and avoid Mcafee and Norton like the plague

I use Avast and AVG on all the works machines and all run pretty much pain free.

Do yourself a favour and uninstall Macafee (including any browser plugins) then clean your registy with something like WISE reg fixer - you'll be amazed at the difference

EDIT: if you're planning to swap, remember to download the FREE versions , not the FREE 28 DAY TRIAL which is a different animal altogether

Edited By Foamie Dave on 10/01/2012 08:57:36

Thanks all. Didnt get much sleep last night so I`m not in the best state of mind at the moment
Our elderly dog is at the Vets as I speak, second visit and not much hope. Anyway as mentioned McAfee comes as part of my BT package and has been working fine since they changed from Norton I believe they used before. Yes they all take over your machine and you dont know what does what these days - imagine how fast your computer would be without them ! Unfortunately that will never happen. I am still using XP at the moment and it seems that is the affected operating system, guess you guys have deeper pockets than me and have later packages. I`ve been through them all up to XP and as it works, have stuck with it without problems till now and it will hopefully be resolved in time. SWMBO`s computer is also fine on XP and both my sons computers are fine (on later packages) --- I think they`re picking on me! I`ll crack on when I get my head straight. Many thanks,
Mal

I am an IT techy and I agree with Dave Bran and others. In my experience of all the antivirus software available, the one that gives most users problems is by far Macaffee. I always advise uninstall ( which is not always easy either) of macaffee.
If you want to save a few pounds then go for avg or avast. All AV software will detect viruses, it is just a question of how quickly and how easily the viruses can be removed. I would also install an antispyware app like adaware (also free) but configure it not to run in the background as this can slow things down a bit, but periodically scan your system.

I hope I`m not tempting fate here but so far ( touch wood etc ) I have had two clear days on here with no problems. This follows 8 updates from microsoft at a closedown. I`m so happy ! I only hope it has been sorted for good.
I wasn`t too specific when I posed my original question, because if you were also suffering the same you would have known about it. Thanks all for your concerns and suggestions, hopefully this is the end of the matter

Many thanks

Mal