Rowntrees Fruit Gums.

Broken Prop

Advert

What's wrong with Parma Violets?

What about Mojos - also 8 for 1d.

BEB

PS There's a theme emerging here!

PPS Yes, frozen Jubblies were brilliant!

PPPS Bought some Wagon Wheels the other week - I swear they are smaller than they used to be!

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 11/01/2012 21:18:36

Just spent a good 10 mins browsing the link to the online sweat shop. After wiping up the dribble on my keyboard, I realised that the cost of delivery out here in Oklahoma, USA would be far too much.

Similarly, last night I was watching the Hairy Bikers in BBC IPlayer, they were making scallops with smokey bacon and black pudding, and yeah dribbled there too, because I can't get black pudding or proper bacon here for love no money!

Ah well, back home to Wiltshire soon (ish)

Edited By Christian Ackroyd on 11/01/2012 21:33:00

Christian

Occasionally I make a pilgrimage to Bury, to the "Land of Black Puddings & Tripe". There amongst the modern shopping arcades and perdiphery can be found , not one , but two, original sweet shops.

Row after row of glass jars of original sweets, on wooden shelfs. Lions "Midget Gems, Liquorice Tablets (not those namby pamby liquorice cuttings)", Pears "Acid Drops" etc. You are transported back to the magic of our youth. All the things you had forgotten, Liquorice root sticks, Barrets Sherbert Fountains, Sherbert Dip.

As for Peter, I am fearful he is pregnant, or has acquired a habit. Anyone taking two green gums at a time has an issue. I am sure that counseling and going Cold Turkey will affect a cure, if not therapy could be the answer.

Posted by Pete B on 11/01/2012 21:15:10:
Posted by Terry Walters on 11/01/2012 20:59:25:
Do you remember those tiny floral gums?

Utterly foul - just like those parma violets - Yeeeeukkk!!!!!

I thought you had better taste than that, Terry !

Pete

I accept you have better taste than me Pete especially now you have removed yourself from your avatar!

What about Imps! You can still get them over here but they come in a yellow tin not a cheap black, white and red box!

Terry

I love Rubarb and custards, what are those ones called that taste of soap? We have a traditional sweet shop down the road from my school, maybe one for you to try out if you are in the Spalding area

BEB: Black Jacks, Fruit salads are a penny in the local sweet shop (candybar)

Posted by Tom T on 11/01/2012 22:12:21:

BEB: Black Jacks, Fruit salads are a penny in the local sweet shop (candybar)

Blimey, they've gone up ten-fold since I used to buy four for a (real) penny......

Pete

Posted by Christian Ackroyd on 11/01/2012 20:41:21:
I prefer proper Midget Gems. not those squashy ones you seem to get these days, but the proper hard ones you used to get in jars.

Ah yes, Lion's Midget Gems . The best. Avoid Maynards feeble attempt at imitating this classic sweet. Not only softer, but they have replaced the liqorice one with a blackberry item - heresy

Even living here in New Zealand I can still get my fix of Fruit gums, wine gums etc,in our town Orewa we have "Bramptins" aka The UK Shop they stock everything UK grocers stock I regularly get my jar of Colemans Horseradish sauce there the Kiwi stuff is rather bland and too sweet to be considered.
Auckland city has The London Lolly shop which you can buy all the favorites weighed out of the jars "luvverly"

Well guys, I have slept on Erflog's advice and I can now admit that I have a green gum addiction. They say that recognising one's problems is the first step towards recovery and so I am seeking therapy at the Betty Ford Clinic (Confectionary Wing).

No more fruit gums for me!

Pete

(Now where's that packet of chocolate digestives?................)

Gawd! don't get me started on Chocolate digestives - I have been addicted to McVities Chocolate Digestives for the last 55 years - when I was a little kid that was all I would eat for breakfast (a spoiled brat ye see!) and that started a lifelong addiction - all my parents fault - they were well known choccy biccy pushers in our street! Even in the Merchant Navy I used to load up with packets in any UK port. I've mellowed a bit now and don't take them to work with me anymore but there is always always a packet in the house
My name is Wingman and I am a choccybiccyholic

Kitkats are one of my weaknesses, along with Penguins, chocolate digestives, ordinary digestives, custard creams, Bourbons - oh Bourbons Mmmmm - Belgian buns, Danish Pastries, Eccles Cakes, chocolate eclaires, Chocolate Limes, Everton Mints, treacle toffee, ordinary toffee, mint imperials, anything that tastes of aineseed and/or liquorice, turkish delight, praliene (in all manifestations), .....

I think you get the picture, I feel sorry for Timbo really, sticky buns, whist very nice, do seem a bit, shall I say "limited"?

BEB